• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

heres a really simple question that i cant answer. ive got a directory called ".uk" and because there is no symbal before the period i cant for the life of me delte this file. if i right click and delte it says the sysem cannot find the specified file. if i drop to DOS i am unable to rename it to anything because it cannot find it, even a del *.* didnt delete it, nor did dopus.

any clues for me ?

Attached Files

#2 conkey37

conkey37

• New Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

you could boot ur pc in safe mode then try delete

#3 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

cant u use a * as a wildcard. eg. "del *.uk" ?? Probably completely wrong though lol

-No1Stoney

#4 algypan

algypan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:59 PM

Hmmm, good question.

I have just tried to work it out in DOS, and from the command line type in "RD .UK"

This means remove directory - Try it and see if you have any success and make sure you are in the directory above where .uk resides!

Good luck.

PS - The directory .uk has to be empty

#5 _stimpy_

_stimpy_

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:01 PM

when i get probs like this i boot using a "linux live cd" provided it isnt a hidden file you can easily delete anything including user passwords

#6 Wozza

Wozza

Advanced Member

• Gold Supporters
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

I have had problems like this in the past usually because the file name has some control character or character you can't see.

Take a look at this article from microsoft this may help (using a wildcard to try and delete it)

You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume

Good luck!
Wozza

#7 Bugs

Bugs

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

Try a program called Delinv 2.02 It's sharaware but should enable you to get rid of the file.

Delete Invalid Files - Delete Files Permanently - file shredder tool Delete files with invalid names

#8 cliffc

cliffc

• Regulars
  • 946 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

Hmmm, good question.

I have just tried to work it out in DOS, and from the command line type in "RD .UK"

This means remove directory - Try it and see if you have any success and make sure you are in the directory above where .uk resides!

Good luck.

PS - The directory .uk has to be empty

Hi

The above will not work if DOS thinks there is anythng in the folder so you may have to do the following

CD .uk
deltree *.*
cd ..
rd .uk

This will delete every thing out of the folder and then will let you remove it

if its a corrupt folder then running a CHKDSK /f may fix it to
Cliff C

#9 nobby.arny

nobby.arny

Mal-'0'-phile

• New Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

download the OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Please double-click OTMoveIt2.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit2.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Copy the file paths below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):
  • Return to OTMoveIt2, right click in the "Paste List of Files/Folders to Move" window (under the light Yellow bar) and choose Paste.
  • Click the red Moveit! button.
  • A log of files and folders moved will be created in the c:_OTMoveItMovedFiles folder in the form of Date and Time (mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log).
  • Close OTMoveIt2
If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

Edited by duplu, 04 April 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#10 nobby.arny

nobby.arny

Mal-'0'-phile

• New Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

So did you get the folder deleted nails?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users