42 replies to this topic

#1 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

Ive been looking around on the internet and having a look at ways i can get my computer to perform better .. so i read about overclocking and i now no what it means but i need to no how far i can get the processor speed to before it blows the f*** up .. Ive got a AMD Sempron 2800+ and the clock speed is 1.6 Ghz .. Ive managed to get it up to 1.88 Ghz .. does anyone no how far it will go to before i have to start cooling it with nitrogen ?? The CPU temp has gone up only about 0.5 c so but i can only read that from the BIOS menu .. Does anyone now any software i can get to monitor it

Tarr

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

Quit Gambling as of 3rd of March 2012

#2 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

Here ya m8..this should be what your looking for.

Run the super_pi_mod.exe

Sorry..ignore that file thats the wrong one..ill find the right one and repost it.:p
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#3 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

Thats the one i believe :)
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#4 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

Clocking an AMD aint all about temps it might be great surfing the net and running the odd video but you need to do a proper test run the CPU at 100% load for a bit and see if it crashes MFME 1.1 is great for doing this.

Also I assume you have upped the FSB some ram is better than other for clocking than others been ages since I dabbled with overclocking!

#5 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:28 PM

SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

Thats the one i believe :)

Is there a link i have to click ??
i just get a webpage telling me about speedfan ??

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

#6 Judas Mesias

Judas Mesias

• New Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

lavalys everest orthos prime and 3d mark good way to test for system stabilty and errors a better cpu coller would also help push further most amd heatsinks fit any amd board up fsb ect in bios disable all the uneeded crap well there ie parell port and modem save and ect press power off if starts should be stable repeat untill find best and stablest settings if it fails to boot pull battery out for bout 30 mins (turning off power first ecectric shocks hurt:bigeyes09:)then it will be back to defaults 2.4 best you could hope for i think if i rember correctly from my old 754 and 2800
yes it is fun to insult the criminally retarded

#7 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

lavalys everest orthos prime and 3d mark good way to test for system stabilty and errors a better cpu coller would also help push further most amd heatsinks fit any amd board up fsb ect in bios disable all the uneeded crap well there ie parell port and modem save and ect press power off if starts should be stable repeat untill find best and stablest settings if it fails to boot pull battery out for bout 30 mins (turning off power first ecectric shocks hurt:bigeyes09:)then it will be back to defaults 2.4 best you could hope for i think if i rember correctly from my old 754 and 2800

You sure it wont harm it lol

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

#8 Judas Mesias

Judas Mesias

• New Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

under download the blue speedfan 4.33 click that n download

#9 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

under download the blue speedfan 4.33 click that n download

Found it tarr

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

#10 Judas Mesias

Judas Mesias

• New Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:40 PM

You sure it wont harm it lol

probaly not i broke a few pcs in my time but never by overclocking a cpu
broke me dads pc he bought from time years b4 they went tits up by flashing wrong bios hadent reaslised company used it own bios stupidest and most costaly bending all the pins on me brand new am2 cpu i had bought off ebuyer wanted phenom coldent affored and i dont much like intel

#11 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

Just enable the automatic system shutdown in the BIOS set it about 60 celcius if it gets too hot the system will shut itself off.

#12 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

lol ive just set it to the maximun speed i could find on the bios 240mhz and its now doin 1.92 ghz lol there was also an option of AGV voltage or somthing and its on 1.5v should i change it to 1.6v ?? and when i ran mfme the core temp shot up from 30c to 42c

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

#13 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

Just enable the automatic system shutdown in the BIOS set it about 60 celcius if it gets too hot the system will shut itself off.

I cant find on option for that iits the first thing i checked

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

#14 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

Errrm you should not just ramp it up like that mate you can render the system inoperable it has to be in incriments till you find the speed it is comfortable at out of interest why are you clocking it? Just for summat to do or is something you are trying to run is too slow?

#15 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

Errrm you should not just ramp it up like that mate you can render the system inoperable it has to be in incriments till you find the speed it is comfortable at out of interest why are you clocking it? Just for summat to do or is something you are trying to run is too slow?

i just want it to perform better with certain programmes it tends to struggle to open them lol its seems to be fine at the moment ive got cool and quite on in the BIOS and the fan speed hasnt changed its just staying arounf the 2700 rpm mark ..
Im thinking of doing it up and then selling it .. it looks a good pc as it stands its got neon light on the front and a temperature gauge on the front that lights up blue and i just want it to perform as good as it looks

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

#16 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:14 PM

Cool and quiet is the tool of the devil kill it!

#17 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

Cool and quiet is the tool of the devil kill it!

ha ha lol i put it on my laptop and the fan was powerful enough to dry my hair with lol

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

#18 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

The idea of C&Q is great for a lappy but its also in desktops its like only being able to use 2nd gear in a Porche because you are near a city basically when the system aint doing much it slows the CPU down making the battery last longer but in a desktop why bother?

#19 richy76

richy76

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

I reckon you could take it upto about 2GHZ, because you can overclock the athlon 2500 to 3200 making it go from 1.8 to 2.2GHZ, just make sure you have a decent heatsinkfan.

#20 pembo

pembo

• New Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

If your memory can take it and assuming your motherboard lets you change it, you want to run the FSB at 200 (400 DDR) MHz.

This is the best bet for over clocking - leave the multiplier as it should be at first, up the FSB, run prime95 torture test for a couple of hours monitoring the termperature.

If it doesn't crash and the temps look ok, up the multiplier a notch at a time, (again assuming your motherboard lets you) running prime95 torture test after every change for a couple of hours along with a program which monitors your CPU temp, to ensure that it runs ok and at a reasonable temperature.

You may find that at some point, you hit the voltage limit, (though if your on the stock cooler, it'll probably be a temperature issue firt) - I wouldn't recommend you fiddle with the voltages unless your extremely confident of what you are doing as you're likely to fry the processor.

If you've got a nvidia nforce Chipset on your motherboard, you can download the nvidia system utility which lets you change the FSB speed from within windows on the fly, plus it shows you the temperature.

Don't read too much into my voltages from the screenshot - I'm running an Athlon XP 2600+ Mobile chip overclocked. These run at a lower voltage than standard athlons and at lower temperatures, so these are (were) ideal for overclocking.

Attached Files

• Attached File  nv.png   58.35KB   15 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users