• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 lincs1

lincs1

He Who Dares Wins

• Banned
  • 3803 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

You mean union games?? Didn't think they made anything anymore ;)

pmsl no i mean the FME UNION REP not union games james :p

#42 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

Got to agree with Steve on this. I can understand it, however I would like to know where I can download partytime?

Astra will probably be reglassing this for another 20 years, then you can have it :)
Watch out! There's a SIG thief about...

#43 Guest_DAD_*

Guest_DAD_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:03 PM

Tell me EXACTLY where it states that these machines should not have been emulated and who said it.

- It doesn't say anywhere. I'm not saying that it was wrong to do the layouts, just that I can't believe how surprised some people are that Empire aren't happy about it.

What is needed is clear communication with the fruit machine manufacturers. Then and only then will we know where we stand.

- That's pretty wishful thinking. No manufacturer wants to be seen to be actively associated with FME. Barcrest change the subject when it's mentioned on Players Heaven. To believe that one day a manufacturer will send out correspondence directly to the scene, and we can all chat with them and thrash out a way to work together in harmony or anything like that is total fantasy. They tolerate this supposed 'underground scene' within certain limits. But when something happens that may threaten a company's profits, they will just pull the plug. They won't want to discuss it, liase with the scene or work out a compromise - they'll put their foot straight down and nip it in the bud. They made the games after all - if they didn't, we wouldn't be able to do layouts for them. Some of these games may still be popular and take good money, and they may want to re-glass them. If a layout appears for that game, they will worry about whether it will cost them money and affect sales of future games using the same control or whatever. They're running a business for Christ's sake and have got mouths to feed. FME is a pain in the arse for them, so it's common sense that manufacturers aren't happy with layouts being done for recent machines.

Empire at one time were very helpfull and active within the scene. You could even download their roms from the website.

You base your statement on the assumption that FME is BAD for the fruit machine manufacturers. What proof is there that FME threatens their profits?
I base my facts on how FME effects me personally which is that I've played far far more fruit machines since discovering FME that I ever have before.

Everone knows that fruit machines are designed to take your money. You don't need an emulator to tell you that. If you discover an emulated machine which you think is crap because you've not won any virtual money from it, what makes you think you'll have the same senario in the 'real' world. You may well get lucky and hit a streak.

This for me is where it gets cloudy. We're told not to host roms and layouts, but we're never told why. All I'm asking for is a little communication here.

DAD

#44 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

Empire were very helpful once you're quite right, probably too much so. To be fair they were possibly a bit naive back then. That was then though. Things got a bit out of hand and they put a stop to things. Maybe Barcrest leaned on them a bit.

I can't prove that emulation harms a company's profits. But it certainly doesn't help, so therefore it is seen as a risk. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they think it's great that really old nostagic stuff like Top Take, Grand National and Blue Streak can be done. These games are long gone. But the closer you get to 2007, the more wary the manufacturers become, hence the supposed 3 year rule.

We we're told not to host ROMs and layouts, but never told why.

- It's pretty bloody obvious why - they don't want their profits compromised. It's hard enough as it is these days to produce a decent machine, and when they do they want to be able to fall back on a winning formula and reglass it and milk it for all it's worth. They don't want a layout coming out for a game they are about to reskin, having spent months getting the balance right.

And whether the manufacturers are misguided in thinking that emulation really harms them, why take the risk? For every one person that is encouraged to go out and play for real, having played an emulated game, there are many more who are quitting gambling and spending their money on something else, and using emulation to have a free punt.

It's like saying I hosted the latest Coldplay album for free download on my website, and EMI or whatever told me to take it off. Why? Because they'll lose out on money. If I turn round and say 'Yeah, but most people will surely just listen to it once, then rush out and pay £16 for the real thing', they will laugh in my face.

You won't get communication from a manufacturer over something like this. They tolerate emulation up to a point. If it gets crossed, they act. They don't want to be our friends this time round. The piss has been taken too many times, so we've lost that trust if any ever existed.

I say we should be thankful for what we have (which is an awful lot) and stop trying to take a mile every time they give us a yard.
Watch out! There's a SIG thief about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users