• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 vegas7baby

vegas7baby

• New Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:17 PM

Hi All

Just wondered whether anyone has an Epoch MPU main motherboard for sale. To go into an Impulse Wipeout machine. Any help would be greatly appeciated. Thanks for your time.

#2 DildoDez

DildoDez

• Regulars
  • 1104 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:58 PM

See what happens if you offer Magik (on the Mecca) £30 + for his. He might be tempted...

#3 MAGIK

MAGIK

• Gold Supporters
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:15 AM

I got an empty NOS epoch board- rom/cpu board- any offers peeps?

#4 vegas7baby

vegas7baby

• New Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

Hi Magik

Thanks for your post.

Would your empty NOS epoch board - rom/cpu board be suitable for my Impulse Wipeout Machine, which is currently not working.

All lights are present on the PSU, so I dont think its that, but when you switch it on, there is a humming noise, most of the lamps illuminate, and the 3rd reel twitches - just doesn't seem to boot up correctly.

If I got your board, what would I need to do to from there on.... I presume I would need to move the chips from my old board onto your empty board? Anything else I need to do / try.

Thanks for all your help.

#5 lincs1

lincs1

He Who Dares Wins

• Banned
  • 3803 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:55 PM

Hi Magik

Thanks for your post.

Would your empty NOS epoch board - rom/cpu board be suitable for my Impulse Wipeout Machine, which is currently not working.

All lights are present on the PSU, so I dont think its that, but when you switch it on, there is a humming noise, most of the lamps illuminate, and the 3rd reel twitches - just doesn't seem to boot up correctly.

If I got your board, what would I need to do to from there on.... I presume I would need to move the chips from my old board onto your empty board? Anything else I need to do / try.

Thanks for all your help.

even tho all the lights are on are there any lights that are dim?

also if u move all the chips to an empty epoch board then make sure the chips face the correct way or damage will accure to the chips themselfs and then u will need another set of proms

#6 vegas7baby

vegas7baby

• New Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for your advice Lincsleisure1 - will check lights on PSU tonight and let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

#7 impact

impact

Error 9.4

• Regulars
  • 1280 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:44 PM

check the pic boot u7 or u10 off the top of my head if you can try getting a boot pic ic first a lot cheeper and easyer to fit and replace you need a match boot u6 u7 or u10

i.e u6 maygay
i.e u7 impluse
i.e u8 global
i.e u10 extreme

u or v the above are examples

ps boot pic ic`s or epoch pcb maybe i can also help
.._-=It`s not a problem only a challenge =-_..

#8 vegas7baby

vegas7baby

• New Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:03 PM

Hi All

I have tonight checked the PSU and the MPU.

When I switch the machine on.....

All 6 green led lights on the PSU are well lit (not at all dim), but it is making louder than normal humming noise.

The 6 green led lights on the MPU are as follows:

Reset = Lit
+vdisp = Not Lit
+vlogic = Lit
-12v = Lit
+12v = Lit
Security = Flashing on and off

All dil switches on the board are currently set to the off position.

The green Led light on Reel Driver Board is NOT lit, but this could be because of faulty MPU, and not necessarily faulty Reel Driver Board.

All I have spotted for the time being, however, let me know if you need any further information.

Any ideas of where the problem lies????

Thanks for your time everyone. Much appreciated.

#9 MAGIK

MAGIK

• Gold Supporters
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

you havent said btw if you get any message on the alpha display? epoch is fairly good at error reporting, even with a bust cpu!

#10 MAGIK

MAGIK

• Gold Supporters
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:41 AM

I would check the boot cpu, the pic 16C51 i think, but from what you tell me, and what Ive seen in this post, I think the problem may well lie with the reel driver board or the lamp and hopper boards before it. You have to remember that epoch is a system of boards with a serial connections, abit like an old style computer network- the info for each board goes in LINK IN, and LINK OUT- the mpu sends all the information for all the boards out down the line, and each board decodes its relevent data and signals back to the cpu that its done so- or signals back an error condition. The boards are all chained together by the LINK ribbon cable and if the chain is broken you get errors on all the boards further down the line- removing the link out from the lamp board for example, stops opeartion of hoppers, coin op and reels. Theres a status led on each of the boards around the machine, they should ALL be lit , the security (status on older boards) led is flashing to indicate the boot CPU has control of the machine.
Soooo, with all that in mind, heres what you do-

1) Check all the power plugs to each board are correctly seated, and there are no broken wires or pins- check no screws etc, have fell down the back of the boards

2) Check all the link cables are correctly fitted and in place

3) Use process of elimination- do each board in turn, starting with the suspect reel boards- remove power from it and power up the machine, see if you get it past boot(it will alarm reel error or a communication error)
If no joy, replace power to reels, take plug out of stake/prize/coin mech board and power up- If theres a shorted board in there, using a process of elimanation like this will find it- remember to have the machine off though when your plugging/unplugging things.

4) check the reel harness is correctly fitted to each reel- could be a short at a reel!

lemme know how you get on, Im about to aquirre an epoch machine with a difftrent but similarly annoying problem!!

#11 vegas7baby

vegas7baby

• New Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

Thanks again for all your help Magik, will follow your instructions tonight and let you know how I get on. You guys certainly know your stuff!!!!!

#12 MAGIK

MAGIK

• Gold Supporters
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

if it helps, heres a maygay manual thats laying around on me PC- it holds the epoch connection diagrams and error codes.......

Attached Files

#13 vegas7baby

vegas7baby

• New Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

Hi Magik, Impact et al

Ok, just got back in from the garage...... Checked all connections and checked all the Link-In & Link-Out serial cables. Although there is a Link-In to the Hopper Board, there is no cable coming from the Link-Out. Is this the last board i.e where the link terminates?

Also tried systematically to test each individual board by removing power to each board in turn using process of elimination, but for each time, the machine it did not get past the boot up stage, and produced the same old symptoms as described earleir in this thread.

There are 2 boot pic ic chips on main mpu

PIC16c54-LP/P

and

U10 BOOT V6

Could it be these that are faulty?

Can anyone supply me with any replacement boot pic ic's that I would be willing to pay for?

Unfortunately, I dont get any error message on the Alpha Board to help me out either!!

Thanks for your continued help and support!!!

#14 impact

impact

Error 9.4

• Regulars
  • 1280 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:02 PM

thats the sod u10 v6 v7 ect ooooo mmmmm will try very hard for this but can not (promiste) my spelling is pants
.._-=It`s not a problem only a challenge =-_..

#15 MAGIK

MAGIK

• Gold Supporters
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:09 AM

yup swap out u10 BOOT- but I would look to changing that reel board as well as its not firing up its status led- youll get there with this matey, its not as much a pain in the arse as it sounds!

#16 vegas7baby

vegas7baby

• New Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:43 PM

Just a quick post to give you all an update with my Impulse Wipeout....

Managed to get hold of a replacement Epoch Board, changed it over, and to my surprise she fired up nicely. Luckily, not had to change either the Lamp Driver Board or the Reel Board.

So many thanks to MAGIK, Impact et al who helped me out with this. Keep up the excellent service as its guys like you that us amateurs rely on for help and advice from time to time.

Only thing slightly strange with it is that everytime I switch it on, it asks me to enter the time and date - any ideas why? Is this normal?

#17 Jamesbond_007838

Jamesbond_007838

Option Explicit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

Do these boards have batteries on them like computer motherboards do? (coin cell type)

If it does then I'd guess the battery is needing replacing on the new board since that'll be responsible for keeping the date and time alive. Swap it with the one from the old board..... :)

#18 matt090623

matt090623

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:00 AM

i know this is and old topic but i have the same problem and was wondering if anyone has an epoch mpu for sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users