195 replies to this topic

#161 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:33 AM

and This is the reason layout creators and older members even emulator creators dont come here anymore the talented people are just disappearing
Posted Image

#162 Benjamoose

Benjamoose

Layout Creator

• Regulars
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:44 AM

Hopefully any further concerns will be kept to PMs as I've reached out to a couple of users.

For now though I'd like to get the end of this thread back on track since I'm basically ready for a release.

I'm just sending files to a few users like Johnny and hopefully wearecity (based on Johnny's suggestion) to make sure there's nothing glaringly wrong before I upload.

Hi benjamoose, I'd have ` for cancel as it's next to the 1 key, that way it looks like a fruit machine

Thanks for the feedback!

I managed to throw that key in as a secondary shortcut based on some other feedback, so it should all be gravy now, heh.

Edited by Benjamoose, 02 January 2018 - 03:44 AM.

#163 niallquinn

niallquinn

• Contributor
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

I see it as achieving the same means-to-an-end really.

Without playing the physical machine directly in front of you, literally anything you do in MFME is an attempt at getting as close to reproducing the experience of the game as possible and without physically scanning the machine with a portable hand scanner, you'll never get ultra clear graphics for the simulation.

In theory you could create a 3D model of the machine then render these graphics onto that I suppose for the absolute best possible purist experience in terms of replicating the physical machine, but I digress :p.

All that said, I totally understand preferring photo reconstructions to a degree. But I guess it's all personal preference and different strokes for different folks and all that :D.

I just personally prefer having the game be high resolution,clear and easy to play when it comes to how the machine's controls are laid out.

Also, if you build a physical cabinet for MFME like uptown47's, having the graphics like this would look better in full-screen as they'd fit flat to the screen's edges, so it ultimately ends up being more flexible.

Thanks for the comment! I hope you still enjoy playing the finished layout :p

It's sort of a, don't know how to put it, like brand new artwork in a factory before it's gone into a machine, I see that which is great, just a bit too new and fresh for me.

I just like layouts to be like my lasses.  Dirty.

:)

NQ.

#164 Benjamoose

Benjamoose

Layout Creator

• Regulars
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

It's sort of a, don't know how to put it, like brand new artwork in a factory before it's gone into a machine, I see that which is great, just a bit too new and fresh for me.

I just like layouts to be like my lasses.  Dirty.

:)

NQ.

Haha!

I think I get what you mean.

There's a similar thing in retro gaming emulation, where there's a preference to it always looking better on a CRT than on an HDTV where you can see every pixel.

Shouldn't really be up right now as I was supposed to get some sleep about 3 hours ago, but the release should be tomorrow.

I was going to release tonight but Wizard and Reg told me about the new v6.0 version of MFME with it's fancy protection splash screens and whatnot, so I wanted to make sure my stuff is all up to date first.

#165 Benjamoose

Benjamoose

Layout Creator

• Regulars
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:11 AM

Sorry for the delay!

I was going to release it when I woke up, but now that I've formatted the release for MFME v6.0 (moved folders around and added protective splash screens and whatnot), there's not yet a category on Fruit-Emu's download section for anything above MFME v5.

Apparently Wizard has asked for one, so the moment that goes up, I'll do a proper upload.

For now though you can access the version that will most likely be in the final upload by clicking here!

Keep in mind you'll need MFME v6.0 for this release now!

There shouldn't be any issues has Johnny helped me fix a miss-matched lamp number and a couple of others have tested out the release, but if you do see anything, do let me know!

Edit: I'll also be removing the file at that link's location when the proper release happens, so if you see this thread in the future and the link above is dead, go look for it in the downloads section!

Edited by Benjamoose, 03 January 2018 - 06:13 AM.

#166 andrewizlegend

andrewizlegend

• Regulars
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:26 AM

Brilliant! Very well done and thank you very much for this release. 

#167 Pokerhontis99

Pokerhontis99

• Regulars
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

Amazing job and congratulations on your first release.  Thank you. 

#168 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

Excellent release, superb quality. Very impressive. Thanks for putting in the hard work to get thing completed. Will have plenty of fun with this one. Cheers

#169 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

Very nice, this layout looks excellent mate, nice and sharp too.  Brilliant work!

J

Edited by fuzion, 03 January 2018 - 12:15 PM.

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#170 chris1

chris1

• Regulars
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

thanks for all your hard work on this it's a piece of art stunning cheers

#171 Memap

Memap

aka Mark8664

• Gold Supporters
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

Benji, excellent work and great documentation.

Creating layouts has come on a long way from when I used to do it (Excalibur, Ooh Aah Dracula and a few others) about 15 years ago.

Kudos to you - those of us that have spent hours touching up flyer scans would much rather be able to boot Photoshop or Gimp up if we were good enough. I generally had to replicate as best as I could from other parts of the flyer when there were lines in the way - it was enjoyable but again not as accurate as recolouring with the correct shades; in your case the Simpsons pantones are widely available.

In terms of the length of the thread, fantastic. Certainly shows the amount of effort that can be put in (and potentially a good argument for why banging one out quickly isn't always the best). There are things that we could potentially take from that - I particularly liked the section on lamping and have always looked at the best way of doing it.

Good luck and here's hoping you have the time to provide us with more great stuff.

#172 RHM

RHM

• Silver Supporters
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

WOW! What else can we expect from you? ;)

#173 Reg

Reg

DONE AND FINISHED

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

WOW! What else can we expect from you? ;)

Well this is a fantastic piece of work that Ben has done, can we not just sit back and enjoy this ?

Let's enjoy this.

For something as good as this - I can't imagine how many hours and effort has gone into it - be glad for this release mate considering the problems, expect no more and if you get something else it's a bonus.

Edited by Reg, 03 January 2018 - 02:48 PM.

#174 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

Brilliant looks like its come from Maygays Art Department,  its a talents not many people have

Posted Image

#175 RHM

RHM

• Silver Supporters
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

Well this is a fantastic piece of work that Ben has done, can we not just sit back and enjoy this ?

Let's enjoy this.

For something as good as this - I can't imagine how many hours and effort has gone into it - be glad for this release mate considering the problems, expect no more and if you get something else it's a bonus.

It truly is good, some decent art work skills here.

#176 Neophyte

Neophyte

• Regulars
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

thanks alot for the release benjamoose, for your 1st layout you hit a homerun, i can not wait to see what you do in the future!,

definitely worth a reg award of some description!

not seen a redraw like it since the rocky horror show machine!

Thanks!

#177 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

congrads on your first release and what a corker it is, just shows the true dedication you have in getting something you want to look spot on, great attention to detail.

here's to crazy fruits next then or maybe the other simpsons machines in the series.

The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#178 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

Thank you.

#179 Benjamoose

Benjamoose

Layout Creator

• Regulars
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

<Lots of nice replies!>

A lot of praise to take in there!

Thanks of course for all the kind words. I'm pretty modest, self-deprecating at times and probably a little too self-critical when it comes to actually achieving things, so I don't always know how to respond properly when people do or say nice things for me past a certain degree.

So if I ever seem to respond over-enthusiastically or, on the other end, not thankful enough, then that's why.

But that said I'm very appreciative of everything said thus far.

As I said in an earlier comment, I was working on this for a while before I got involved here, and it fluctuated from being really productive to finding the amount of elements to redraw so tiring that it went untouched for weeks and weeks.

It's one of the reasons I felt posting my updates here was a good idea. The constant log of progress and interest keeping up my motivation to keep working on it.

I don't doubt of course that pretty much anyone here with decent graphical ability can and likely already has achieved comparable results warranting comparable praise, but the sentiment is certainly of value to me regardless.

As to the question of what I may tackle next, I mentioned earlier about this machine, but I have to admit I always found "Homer's Beer Guide" to be a slightly confusing entry compared to "Homer's Meltdown" on first glance, so I never really played it much if at all. I'm not a fan of it in the same way as Meltdown, which I kind of just have nostalgic attachment to.

That said, it shares a lot of fonts and graphics from this machine and it being the same physical machine means I could also reuse the base frame too. So that'll likely be up there on the list of things to do next.

Though I'll be taking a break for a while. Having the pressure and obligation to finish this was a ton of fun but also something I don't want to have to wake up to for a little bit :p.

Until then though I hope to post around and lurk more in the other threads to get a feel for things.

So far I've only ventured as far as Uptown and Reg's custom cabinets, but I don't doubt I'll find more stuff to look at.

Thanks again for all the kind words and Happy New Year! A bit late I know, but I forgot to say it in my previous post :D!

Edited by Benjamoose, 03 January 2018 - 07:08 PM.

#180 gemini17

gemini17

GOLD Supporter

• Regulars
  • 1751 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

A lot of praise to take in there!

Thanks of course for all the kind words. I'm pretty modest, self-deprecating at times and probably a little too self-critical when it comes to actually achieving things, so I don't always know how to respond properly when people do or say nice things for me past a certain degree.

So if I ever seem to respond over-enthusiastically or, on the other end, not thankful enough, then that's why.

But that said I'm very appreciative of everything said thus far.

As I said in an earlier comment, I was working on this for a while before I got involved here, and it fluctuated from being really productive to finding the amount of elements to redraw so tiring that it went untouched for weeks and weeks.

It's one of the reasons I felt posting my updates here was a good idea. The constant log of progress and interest keeping up my motivation to keep working on it.

I don't doubt of course that pretty much anyone here with decent graphical ability can and likely already has achieved comparable results warranting comparable praise, but the sentiment is certainly of value to me regardless.

As to the question of what I may tackle next, I mentioned earlier about this machine, but I have to admit I always found "Homer's Beer Guide" to be a slightly confusing entry compared to "Homer's Meltdown" on first glance, so I never really played it much if at all. I'm not a fan of it in the same way as Meltdown, which I kind of just have nostalgic attachment to.

That said, it shares a lot of fonts and graphics from this machine and it being the same physical machine means I could also reuse the base frame too. So that'll likely be up there on the list of things to do next.

Though I'll be taking a break for a while. Having the pressure and obligation to finish this was a ton of fun but also something I don't want to have to wake up to for a little bit :p.

Until then though I hope to post around and lurk more in the other threads to get a feel for things.

So far I've only ventured as far as Uptown and Reg's custom cabinets, but I don't doubt I'll find more stuff to look at.

Thanks again for all the kind words and Happy New Year! A bit late I know, but I forgot to say it in my previous post :D!

Hi Ben

Just played the £25 version and the slot is beyond amazing.

Having been away for a while and in having some family illness's to deal with I am only now getting to read your full post.

And what a great guy you come across as coupled with a dynamite asset to the fruit emulation scene :notworthy:  :notworthy:

I don't follow the negative stance to things in what you have had to deal with,I just hope this does not put you off from fruit emulation as the sites need more people like you not only in the creation of the emulations but also in giving valued help and advise to other aspiring creators out there.

Congrats on your first release and welcome to fruit emu.

Best wishes

Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users