• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Zoltar

Zoltar

Former Fat Bastard.....

• Gold Supporters
  • 1810 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:53 AM

After my episode, I'd take the hit and hand it into the coppers. At least you'll have a clear conscience and not be making misery for someone else further down the line.

Seeing the note in the first post. It's usually the metallic dash strip on the back that forgers have never been able to do. Often, just drawn on with a silver metallic pen. Hence why so many bank notes are torn at the top or the bottom of the metal strip.
Posted Image

#22 jaybee

jaybee

Sun BURNT, Ouch!

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

To be honest, Cash Converters probably took it in for a payment and they have been duped too.

I would have gone back and explained everything instead of posting on a forum, as some time as passed who is to say it's the same note.
Player three it's YOU!

#23 ForYouToEnvy

ForYouToEnvy

Prince says....Raghead

• Regulars
  • 902 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:15 AM

Dont read this ady.......

The couple of times a mate (cough) has come across a dud note hes waited till
the weekend when kids are working the tills at summerfields and spent them that way

#24 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:41 PM

My advice would be to sell the note to someone for a tenner, and let them worry about how they are going to spend it. This way you've only lost a ten quid.
Watch out! There's a SIG thief about...

#25 kriss

kriss

Creator Of Stuff

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

I'll take the dud for a fiver :)

#26 kbos2hm

kbos2hm

• New Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

noow this happened in our shop a few weeks ago we get someone every weekend trying to rip it but we had someone who gave us dogy twenty pound fake we woulnt give it back to them and called the police nothing happened like

#27 bowie

bowie

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

Busy nightclub, 1 in the morning, thickest looking barmaid, illegal yes but who really cares? Better yet a Wetherspoons.

#28 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

We've seen these in our arcade, but don't take them.

Basically, the cashier is meticulous, and checks every note under UV - so she won't take it. The change machines won't take it, and if you gave the note to an attendant, all they could do is take you to the cashier, the change machine, or the manager.

The one you've got looks better than most of the ones I've seen, which have been 'overhandled' to make them look more authentic, to the point where the silver detailling tends to crumble away from the paper. Also on the ones I've come across the reverse side (with that bloke that increased production of pins or something) was a lower resolution print to the other side - it was noticably blocky.

It's really unfortunate you've received it - but there isn't a great deal you can do. Perhaps you could call your bank and stop the cheque, return all the money to Cash Converters, and tell them to go and f**k themselves?

Just an idea, doubt it would work.

#29 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:34 PM

When I worked in the petrol station, one night this regular customer came in and got £76 in diesel. He was always in the garage as he was a car dealer. When he gave me the £80 in £20's I could see that three of them was fake so I called the police. They was there in less than 5 minutes and the guy was arrested in the garage. He looked a bit shocked lol. But anyways the police called me back later and said that he had another £800 in fake £20 notes. It turned out that the money had been paid to him for a car he sold at the auctions. So he gave the details of the buyer over to the police. Then that guy got arested and was found to have over 5k of fake £20 notes.

The guy who came in the petrol station was let off and they guy with the 5k was sent to court and me I got a thanks from the police lol.

Back to my fake £20, I think I will go back to cash converters and ask to talk to the manager. They know me quite well in there as I do a lot of buying selling on the goods side in the summer when the car boots are on.

Thanks for all ur advice people

#30 jaybee

jaybee

Sun BURNT, Ouch!

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:02 PM

I'm guessing it's the Grimsby branch?

I work in the Cash Converters type world, and I still say because of the time scale, there's not a lot you can do.

It might be worth talking to the franchise holder, rather than the manager, it could be laundering money, however I think they just took payment with it and it got mixed in.

On a different note, what do note dectors look for? I'm suprised no one has made notes just to scam them.
Player three it's YOU!

#31 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

On a different note, what do note dectors look for? I'm suprised no one has made notes just to scam them.

The note detectors you see in shops are normally just UV lights, the note (and also most bank cards / credit cards) will show details under a UV light which aren't visible under normal conditions.

It's rare for note changers to take fake notes (definitely Bank of England) in my experience, the scams normally involve ways of trying to retreive the original note you inserted, so it can be reused over and over - a bit like the old 'coin strimming' scams used on coin validators.

#32 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:45 PM

The moral of this story is.....always get your wages paid into a bank account...always use your credit card via a bank account machine. If a bank can't tell it's fake when they stack the machine then there's no hope for anyone. :)

Who are CC anyway? One of those dodgy outlets that cash your cheques for a commission?
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 12px;'>It's all done in the best possible taste. :bigeyes04:</span></span>

#33 jaybee

jaybee

Sun BURNT, Ouch!

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

The note detectors you see in shops are normally just UV lights, the note (and also most bank cards / credit cards) will show details under a UV light which aren't visible under normal conditions.

It's rare for note changers to take fake notes (definitely Bank of England) in my experience, the scams normally involve ways of trying to retreive the original note you inserted, so it can be reused over and over - a bit like the old 'coin strimming' scams used on coin validators.

Sorry got my words mixed up, I ment note aceptors, as they are every where these days, from bookies to supermarker self checkouts :D
Player three it's YOU!

#34 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

The moral of this story is.....always get your wages paid into a bank account...always use your credit card via a bank account machine. If a bank can't tell it's fake when they stack the machine then there's no hope for anyone. :)

Who are CC anyway? One of those dodgy outlets that cash your cheques for a commission?

Cash Converters

I brought an xbox 360 off there, had it a day & it just stopped working -.-

gave me RROD [Red Ring Of Death]

managed to get my money back though :)

#35 diskmandave

diskmandave

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

At CAG we won't lie down and take crap like this.

You would be very surprised, ex-cop or otherwise at how
quickly the establishment will lie down and roll over, just so stuff
like this doesn't get out into the public domain.

As I've said before, I hope to remain welcome here.....

Just Google my username..

#36 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

At CAG we won't lie down and take crap like this.

You would be very surprised, ex-cop or otherwise at how
quickly the establishment will lie down and roll over, just so stuff
like this doesn't get out into the public domain.

As I've said before, I hope to remain welcome here.....

Just Google my username..

This gent seems alright RH...Go with it!!! What have you got to lose? :)
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 12px;'>It's all done in the best possible taste. :bigeyes04:</span></span>

#37 Zoltar

Zoltar

Former Fat Bastard.....

• Gold Supporters
  • 1810 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:33 AM

Note changers lack that human intervention. Providing all the security requirements are met when entering the note into a note change machine, the machine will pay out the coins. So you could enter a plain piece of paper that is the same size and thickness as a note, and providing as I say, it meets the security requirements, the machine will change it. Of course, this would be inaccurate if note change machines can detect the artwork of a note or watermark or hologram. But If the Bank of England purchase their note paper from a private company, I would think that some of it can go walkies at the factory. A possibility maybe. But your run of the mill counterfeiter is trying to emulate a real note from everyday material.

If I remember correctly, back in the early 80's, there was a pound note change machine. You put the note into a tray, and pushed it into the machine. The security criteria here was basic indeed. Detecting the metal strip and very little else.

Thoughts on eradicating counterfeit notes? Maybe it won't be long before a flexible microchip can be embedded into notes. Or notes are scanned prior to being placed into a till and the note number and whereabouts logged so it queries notes with identical numbers in different parts of the country within a pre-determined time window.

From what I've read in the past, most counterfeit notes start their lives outside the country. Brought in by unwitting tourists and visitors who aren't really savvy with a note due to unfamiliarity.

To be honest, I reckon the state and the banks are not all that bothered about counterfeit currency. Sure, they will publically denounce the practice, support the victim and all that, but where theres a loser, theres someone who gains. And this adds to the economy as money spent. The state don't lose out. The man in the street does.
Posted Image

#38 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:05 AM

Well thanks for all your replies guys they was all helpful. Just to let you all know we went back to cash converters this morning and spoke to the guy that owns the franchise and explained the situation to him. He was very helpful and at first said that if we took the note to the police and got a receipt for it he would give us £10 and split the loss. We thought that was OK but he then came back and said he would just swap the note and he would hand it in to the police.

This was very good of him to do so as most people would of just said get lost. So thank you to him. I believe he didn't know anything about the note and they have a list in the shop of fake note serial numbers to help them spot the fakes. Even he said that was one of the best fakes he has seen and the serial number was not on his list.

#39 saynowt

saynowt

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

at least we all can be more aware of counterfeit notes . extra special attention from now on i think....thanks for the warning.pleased u got your money back a nice happy ending

#40 Zoltar

Zoltar

Former Fat Bastard.....

• Gold Supporters
  • 1810 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

at least we all can be more aware of counterfeit notes . extra special attention from now on i think....thanks for the warning.pleased u got your money back a nice happy ending

I'm gonna pay for everything in pennies from now on. Apparently, it's too much hassle for such little gain for counterfeiters to fake 1p coins lol.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users