24 replies to this topic

#1 strid

strid

Barcrest to the bone!

• New Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hi all,

Possibly a dumb question - but one I have always wondered none the less.

How do you actually become a qualified fruit machine engineer? (Serious answers only please!)
Feed me... Feed me now!

#2 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

i started of as a trainee engineer with the company i am with but not just fruit machines,i also service and repair jukeboxes,pool tables,video games and trivias.

i was just about to turn 19 when i started and had a 3 year trainee course.

the only qualifications i needed was a college electronics course upto level 4 and at least 3 standard grades.

nowadays pc repair is needed as many machines are becoming pc based(digital jukeboxes and trivias.)

i've been an engineer for 14 years now.

baz

#3 impact

impact

Error 9.4

• Regulars
  • 1280 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

14 years of age playing the machines in an arcade when asked about the machine i was playing what i thought of it gave him a answer system this and system that just different art work and sound,and was ask well if u know that side of things would you like a job. i said yes but there is one problem if i work here was asked i said well i am 14 years of age, was told ok how about after school and weekends and that home work was all done no probs a with that spent 6 years with bam leisure got my c+g in electronics + c+g in computers thanks to bam from that to about 7 1/2 years with kossway automatics to now 7 month with ssssshhhhh! not saying. like baz just over 14 years. started the pants jobs from changing bulbs and cleaning mechs,programming proms to loom fault finding triac repairs mpu repairs psu repairs video`s,swp`s pintables pooltables football tables note acceptor repairs change machines rebuilding machines pc repairs component level converting mech`s from serial into parallel the list go`s on the one baz would kill me on juke boxes i ****ing hate the things sod nsm loading the cd cover panel with the inserts that use to piss me right off just take your time learn one area at a time the mfme/emu is a free and easy way to learn some info with in how a machine works like simple things dill switches pop and percentage setting and the site look up manuals for mpu4 to impact ect ask local arcades and side places about take min wage it`s foot into the door of the leisure industry one thing i will say the wages for get 25K+ knock 10K off that 15K to 16K start is the norm around the m25 area

ps sorry for the blar blar
.._-=It`s not a problem only a challenge =-_..

#4 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:08 PM

You could start getting the basic exposure working in an arcade or bingo hall and try and get them to promote you internally to a workable position within those companies (including certification).

But again you have engineers who are bottom level and the top guys who are sought after and know their stuff... Which probably takes many years of training and skills to get to.
J<br /><br /><br /><br />A man

#5 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:49 PM

if you just work for an arcade which deals mainly with fruit machines then you dont need to be qualified but if you work for an actual decent amusement company then you have loads more to learn as impact will back me up.

yes there are the easy calls but its not just cleaning buttons and moving jammed coins.

installing a jukebox system from scratch involves work similar to an electricians and also needs joinery skills.

baz

#6 impact

impact

Error 9.4

• Regulars
  • 1280 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

sod wiring a pub or club with all in`s and out`s chacing wire under floor boards drop cables behide walls drilling into walls to hold around 80kg video jukebox or box std nsm then routing wire into the basement for the hide away unit then wireing up speakers not to for get plasma tv running more wires into a switching unit it`s a nightmare

like baz said when it`s nice its nice odd coin jamm sticky buttons (A NOT BECAUSE Of THAT DOING STOP IT) work for big companys like myself dose 3rd biggest in the uk thats given it away yikes!! (sorry Baz i know that your company takes sites off us left and right center)it`s full on all the time rush rush rush now now time is money in yer ear holes two van runs a day most days thats 16 fruits. like today it was easy 3 machines run up.The road you go down is up to you myself workshop only now thank you there is a god ,Baz will do Workshop + Service thats clean repair ect the gear and go out to service machines ect and help or do installs aswell to me Baz covers alot more gound then i will. skills which he has picket up and made him better then me which is the same for repairs ect. but the people skills telephone skills deal with money from one machine into another the trust factor and proberly has done collections aswell. start small and work your way up the ladder.

#7 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

you also learn from experience!!!!

what is a bugger of a call which takes tou ages to fix or uplift to the workshop then becomes easy knowledge once you know how.

i suppose thats the same for most jobs though.

i quite enjoy installing jukeboxes as long as the owner/manager isn't a cock!!!

baz

#8 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:03 PM

impact

just to let you know youve taken a few sites from us over the last month due to new brewery purchases.

do you deal with admiral inns????

baz

#9 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:38 PM

there is a serious line between one side of the fence and the other here.

the player has much happiness and rewards of play, the other being an owner or the 'fixer' merely touches the machine when not in play.

any player of the emulator should notice this.

#10 cyberface

cyberface

• New Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

i started off giving out change in the kiosk, then slowly worked my way through the company, been doing it nearly 10 years now.

cos we only have machines, ive not got any qualifications, just learnt everything on the job, although i am going on a PAT test course soon, what fun!!

#11 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

a guy came to our workshops and gave us the pat test course.

you will be absolutly stunned with the complete .............boredom of it.

baz

#12 cyberface

cyberface

• New Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:20 PM

yeah it said they could come to you and do it, but seen as im the only 1 doing it there wasnt much point,

ive just had my letter through to confirm my place, and ive got to wear safety boots for it, WHY?>???? incase i drop a plug on my foot. now ive got to go and buy some boots :@

#13 impact

impact

Error 9.4

• Regulars
  • 1280 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

hi yer baz and yes it dose ring a bell but i think gamestec got them now admiral inns.

#14 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

they took about 4 sites from us but we hung onto 3.

they are mainly shitholes anyway.

baz

#15 moley-uk

moley-uk

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:33 AM

Sorry for this being my first post (got to start somewhere :) ), but just today I received a letter for an interview with SE Leisure to be a trainee field service engineer.

I already have a National certificate in electronics, and have a few years of electronics experience already, but am quite looking forward to a change.

just wondering if anyone has, or knows of anyone that has or is working for SE Leisure, and comments about the company.

No salery has been disclosed, but hopefully it isn't drastically low.

#16 superbank

superbank

Antagonist

• Gold Supporters
  • 567 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

Sorry for this being my first post (got to start somewhere :) ), but just today I received a letter for an interview with SE Leisure to be a trainee field service engineer.

I already have a National certificate in electronics, and have a few years of electronics experience already, but am quite looking forward to a change.

just wondering if anyone has, or knows of anyone that has or is working for SE Leisure, and comments about the company.

No salery has been disclosed, but hopefully it isn't drastically low.

Hey Moley, would that be SE Leisure in Aylesford, near Maidstone??

#17 moley-uk

moley-uk

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

Certainly is, I only live in Gillingham, so its not exactly a million miles away.

#18 superbank

superbank

Antagonist

• Gold Supporters
  • 567 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:10 AM

lol, used to live in Gillingham too until last week.

Yeah, SE Leisure are a good firm. They used to supply machines to the pub that my parents had in Rochester many years ago. Very good service and tech support as I remember.

There used to be a bloke worked there called Chris Ells, very clever man. Used to fix monitors for me if any went wrong. Not been to him for a couple of years but if he is still there then he could teach you a lot. He was also into that Robot Wars carry-on last time I spoke to him.

Interesting to see what they pay a trainee nowadays...:bigeyes25:

#19 moley-uk

moley-uk

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:32 AM

Ah right, small world!

Its a job i've always wondered about as I have always been attracted to the flashy lights!, and being recently laid off by Sky I've decided to go back to engineering with electronics etc, and saw this job opportunity.

Hopefully I won't be a trainee for long, as I already have the base knowledge of electronics behind me, repairing PCB's and looms etc, and hopefully the pay is enough to pay the simple things such as rent :bigeyes09:

#20 superbank

superbank

Antagonist

• Gold Supporters
  • 567 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

Worth a look for sure, and an interesting job too.

Keep us informed if anything happens... and good luck!! :bigeyes02:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users