Photo
- - - - -

What are the oldest machines you remember playing?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 eddiec

eddiec

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:31 PM

(Aka how were you *really* when you started playing ;)

Aaahhh.... the trips down memory lane... sometimes they're rather scary.
Just been looking through the mecca and saw some real old machines that
made me realise how long ago, and how young i was, when i was playing
the damn things.

Here's 5 that i remember, the earliest of them was like 77/78 i think.
(Yah, i'm a fossil) :)

http://www.fruitemu....p?album=8&pos=5
(there was a similar one to that done by them - think it was called silver/gold)

http://www.fruitemu....p?album=7&pos=5

http://www.fruitemu....?album=5&pos=15
played this when i was about 10. it paid out the jackpot in 5p tokens.

http://www.fruitemu....p?album=5&pos=1
remember when machines were like this - back around 76-79 i think.

http://www.fruitemu....p?album=3&pos=9

#2 khards

khards

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:42 PM

I remember playing the ones my dad had in my pub when I was 10, I cant remember what they were, they must of been mid/late 80's JPM's as one has a melon meter and took old 5p's (which would sometimes fit the mechanical 20p token slot if tried repeatedly).
The other machine (Is this emulated) I think was MPU3 barcrest/PCP? and you had pulms above the winline and lemons below, one for each reel, this was the method of getting a chance at the feature. The feature worked by having a fairground type Hammer which if you skill stopped in the correct place would give you a feature (nudges e.t.c) I remember rows of 50p's on the right side (this was a hard to get feature). There was also a 2p version made, I played this sometime later.

#3 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:07 PM

Yep as a 40yo I remember Silver or Gold, along with (I mentioned before) the greenshield stamp fruities eddiec.

What was it Gold 10p and Silver 6p?...something like that.

I look at the Mecca a lot, and sometimes wonder why I skipped skol just to gamble my 20p dinner money! (little joke slipped in there!)

Then mid teens a 50p cash/£1 token JP on Each way nudge at 5p a go......WOW the £1 held!!!!, orgasmed for a week! (just on the verge of discovering girls)

Then the sidewinder day's...10p play £2 JP......hold the gamble button down and slowly release while tapping quickly--this was along with the original Firecracker.

Frogger....onto a massive progression of the £2 to £3 to £4'ers then the truly amazing £4.80 days of 777 and the like.......Remember the (not to sure without looking but) the JP feature on One at £4.80 was 3 'new higher Jackpot' symbols in wording.

Then I discovered Women.......they gave me a hard time....then I must have missed a period of years as blimey now I see £25 cash, damn I still have these tokens left!

------------------------

Not so much a fossil eddiec....wasn't that long ago!

#4 eddiec

eddiec

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:23 PM

adydb wrote: "Not so much a fossil eddiec....wasn't that long ago!"

I'm not so sure.... ;) 4yrs ago i was playing a mud, the topic on
the gossip channel was about 'old' computers.... I said the c-64 and
got a reply of "what's a c64? i only know n64".

Good job i hadn't said the commodore pet. :)

As for the old fruities, several missing from the mecca that i remember
playing and, yeah, i remember those green shield stamp things. ick.

Shame the original sidewinder and the noughts-and-crosses can't be done.

#5 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:05 PM

I'll spam it here as well this is the machine I have taken ownership of yesterday.

alth

Attached Files

#6 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:16 PM

One of the RAF bases my dad used to work at had a Concorde machine, which I'm guessing is pretty old... as for me, the oldest I've played would be one of the following, all from Thompsons Amusements [before it closed :(] in Bridlington :

1) Tooty Frooty
2) Generic Riviera OXO machine, 2p Play, 20p Xs, £1.20 BARs [I think these were the prizes...]
3) Rifle Range, always one dodgy target ;)
4) An ALLWIN thing, which allowed you to win your new penny back :D
5) The only machine one, I believe it was Super Nudge Gambler, it had big orange...umm... Bakelite looking buttons :D
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#7 dave1de

dave1de

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:33 PM

Ha rifle range (almost all targets didnt work), theres was one of them in this old slot machine museum in yarmouth when I went a few weeks back.
Posted Image

#8 Guest_madman_*

Guest_madman_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:52 AM

a four reel clubber............
might of been something like. TEN PIN BOWLING..........
£50 jackpot..bellfruit.....on a ferry in about 1975.......and again in a shady private night club in liverpool in 84....big yellow buttons and in a smallish brown teak cab with garish yellow and gold glass front....5p play...

tic tac toe. was playing that in southport 2 weeks ago alth..........
addictive little bandits.....

#9 Jez_Shaw

Jez_Shaw

• New Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:02 AM

The first machine I ever played was Barcrest's Nudges Unlimited - 10p play, £2 Jackpot (£1 in tokens). It was in my local village pub. I used to clean the landlord's car every Sunday with my sister. After I had finished, I used to have a quick go. I also remember playing fruit machines in Jersey. I think the machines were exclusive to Jersey, as they were only 50p Jackpots at the time. It was something to do with the island's strange gaming laws, but I never saw any outside of the island.

#10 bennett04

bennett04

• New Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:21 AM

Ok, well i must have been about 10 or 11.. The first machine i put my money in was th3e classic Spotted Dick and How Big Is Your Rock.. As they where alike!

I was addicted to these machines, until a helper came along for me!

Jungle Jackpots was the best ever machine i played on, I use to empty these like mad, with about £50-£60 at one time, on a £5 jackpot!

If anyone has a Jungle Jackpots.. Please Do Contact me!!!!

#11 Guest_djdm_*

Guest_djdm_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:07 PM

When I was very small [probably around 8ish - mid-80s] I used to have a soft-spot for 2p play PCPs. Cashino, Nudge Fever, Blue Streak etc. Top games, and many happy memories.

Also, some unhappy memories of a 2p Cash Smash taking a whole £1 without offering a single win(!).

#12 CanonMan

CanonMan

• New Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:38 PM

Load of those old Bell Fruit machines that were full of relays, and Maygay's Moon Bug.

#13 smudge22

smudge22

• New Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:57 PM

The first machine I remember playing is what I guess was An associated leisure machine called 'Special 2p'.

It had those round buttons and three 2p pieces would win a pound, three bells 50p, three pears 30p, three melons 20p, three grapes 10p, three cherries/plums/oranges 8p.

The only feature was to choose one to nine nudges. The gamble was in a circle that started at 10p.

It had another 2p symbol on the middle reel that would pay 2p.

The machine this place had next was called 'Whirlo!' that had a wheel that awarded various numbers of nudges or winspins.

Then there was Goldmine then Moneymine Deluxe (£2 jackpot JPM Moneygame) that you know.

It's weird as I have never seen those former two machines commented on in any Fruit Machine forum.

#14 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:50 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have seen it somewhere when I was a child but can't remember where or if it was any good.. probably won't buy anyway as no transport for a heavy old thing... (talking about my mrs again)..
J<br /><br /><br /><br />A man

#15 Dr DX

Dr DX

Daddy To A Little Angel

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:55 PM

the oldest game i think is tuppeny nudger and the 2p play games also played adders and ladders on saturday not as good as the emu one tho (sorry guys im only 19 lol)
Women are #@#@#@#s....

#16 virtualhedgehog

virtualhedgehog

• New Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

I'll spam it here as well this is the machine I have taken ownership of yesterday.

alth

Could you attach some pictures from the inside of machine. It is a mechanical one, isn't it? When I was a kid I played with this kind of machines. One of them it has a "Inca Sun" string or something like this.

#17 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:06 PM

alth

This looks really cool - did you get it off ebay and how much was it??

cheers

#18 RB

RB

PISH Artist

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3342 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:15 PM

first proper gamble was barcrest nudge gambler...with piezo electric buzzer for the nudges....used to almost rattle my pint of the top of the fruity....Bat & Wickets Pub in Northampton....ahhhh the mammaries....:D
Cyberpunk:- alienated loner who lives on the edge of society in generally dystopic future where daily life is impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body.....Hmmmmm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:22 PM

This looks really cool - did you get it off ebay and how much was it??

cheers

It was free off my brother, I'll take some more pictures tomorrow my cameras crap and does not like the dark.

alth

#20 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:24 PM

look forward to it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users