slots R Fun table top

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 pinallthetime

pinallthetime

• New Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

Decided to create a MFME bar top cabinet (Slots R Fun table top) after finding out about the Fruit EMU.  Did a lot of reading on the different forums and started purchasing my kit last week

IPac2

pacdrive

21" 16:10 monitor

PC Lenovo M82

16 buttons (square different colors)

wires

everything arrived this week and made some progress see pics

ipac installed and all buttons (16) mapped for mgalaxy and MFME

Attached File  20170929_182202.jpg   62.15KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20170929_185401.jpg   92.43KB   0 downloads

Install mgalaxy 

Installed MFME 5

Attached File  20170929_221421.jpg   84.44KB   0 downloads

Trying to get the pacdrive to work- couldn't figure out how to get the pacdrive window to open up for each game then I realized only some of the games have that function.  Is there a way to add the pacdrive function to games that don't already have it?

Also need to start getting Pic for each of the games so they show in mgalaxy

#2 Reg

Reg

DONE AND FINISHED

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

This looks so much like how I started out...

http://www.desertisl...-mfme-keyboard/

...the March 29th post shows the final results, I also did a guide for anyone that is really stuck...

http://www.desertisl...-mfme-keyboard/

...you need to be registered if you want it ( or anyone else does ).

This is great work Pinallthetime, it really changes the way you play these games. :)

#3 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

pinallthetime, that's coming along brilliantly!

Looking forward to seeing it develop. Good work mate :)

#4 pinallthetime

pinallthetime

• New Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

I determined that the pac drive window is associated with certin systems and is not game specific. Does anyone know how to program the pac drive to work with the scorpion ststems? Want to get DOND working with my colored buttons.

#5 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:55 PM

I determined that the pac drive window is associated with certin systems and is not game specific. Does anyone know how to program the pac drive to work with the scorpion ststems? Want to get DOND working with my colored buttons.

I think this is coming with v5.2 of MFME as I understand it. Wizard is still working on 5.2 but when it's released we should be able to program the pacdrive for all the machines hopefully :)

#6 pinallthetime

pinallthetime

• New Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the info

Build update: button box is done. Lessons learned pac drive, ipac2 and the 64 wires takes a lot more room than i planded for. I'll figure out something but hopefully it will prevent someone from making the same mistakeAttached File  20171005_191231.jpg   63.13KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20171005_191205.jpg   83.22KB   0 downloads

#7 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

Good work pinallthetime. Yep, it's surprising how much room is taken up by the wires etc. Good tip! :)

#8 pinallthetime

pinallthetime

• New Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

Button box is done, stuffed all the wires in the box and covered the bottom with soft paper.  The paper cover is bulging so I had to add a some feet on the corners.  

One of the problems I am having is when I start-up a game the lights on my button box don't work, I need to hit the configuration tab then they work. Can't do this function with the button box and requires me to use my keyboard.   I was doing some research and one of the posts, I can't find it again, stated when ordering the the pac drive you need to order it with outputs OFF at power on.  Does anyone know if this will fix my problem?  If it does I will have to contact Ultimarc and see if there is a way to flash the pac drive to enable this function.  I hope I don't have to send it back S&H is costly from the US.   

I have also been spending a lot of time getting the  games aligned with the button numbers( ipac2) and light outputs (pac drive), have about 7 done.  

After I get it set up I have to play if for awhile :)

Setting up each game takes a lot of time,  Has there ever been any discussions around standardizing the button number, assigned the light numbers to pac drive numbers and creating a forum where these could be posted.  It would be great if it was all standardized then everyone could share the games set up for cabs.

Right now I have two rows of 8 buttons (4 of the top row buttons are used for admin functions), I think 10 on the bottom and 6 on the top all associated with game buttons would be ideal.  Admin buttons could be added as required by the user.  16 buttons also matches the number of outputs per pac drive.   The idea is that if all cab games use this scheme as standard, each person could set up there button configurations/ physical layout any way they wanted but the numbers on the ipac2 and pac drive would always match the standard.    

Edited by pinallthetime, 15 October 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#9 unclechicken

unclechicken

Professional Slacker

• Regulars
  • 346 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:18 AM

One of my friends called Brandon did something like this but he used a Japanese Candy cab with the touchscreen, cutting out most of the wiring for the buttons. I'll try to find the video he made but it was a couple of years ago.

#10 Wizard

Wizard

MFME Creator

• Regulars
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:25 AM

Button box is done, stuffed all the wires in the box and covered the bottom with soft paper.  The paper cover is bulging so I had to add a some feet on the corners.  

One of the problems I am having is when I start-up a game the lights on my button box don't work, I need to hit the configuration tab then they work. Can't do this function with the button box and requires me to use my keyboard.   I was doing some research and one of the posts, I can't find it again, stated when ordering the the pac drive you need to order it with outputs OFF at power on.  Does anyone know if this will fix my problem?  If it does I will have to contact Ultimarc and see if there is a way to flash the pac drive to enable this function.  I hope I don't have to send it back S&H is costly from the US.   

I have also been spending a lot of time getting the  games aligned with the button numbers( ipac2) and light outputs (pac drive), have about 7 done.  

After I get it set up I have to play if for awhile :)

Setting up each game takes a lot of time,  Has there ever been any discussions around standardizing the button number, assigned the light numbers to pac drive numbers and creating a forum where these could be posted.  It would be great if it was all standardized then everyone could share the games set up for cabs.

Right now I have two rows of 8 buttons (4 of the top row buttons are used for admin functions), I think 10 on the bottom and 6 on the top all associated with game buttons would be ideal.  Admin buttons could be added as required by the user.  16 buttons also matches the number of outputs per pac drive.   The idea is that if all cab games use this scheme as standard, each person could set up there button configurations/ physical layout any way they wanted but the numbers on the ipac2 and pac drive would always match the standard.    

There is a bug in MFME regarding initialisation of the PAC drive outputs, that's why you need to open the configuration tab. This will be fixed in the v5.2 release and also a number of additional features have been added to the PAC  drive functionality. Regarding the Normally Off version, it doesn't really matter in your application as the outputs will be turned off when MFME starts but it might become an issue in the new version where PAC drive outputs can be assigned for additional features.

Therefore I still recommend that the "Normally Off" version of the PAC drive board should be used.

As most layouts use a standard shortcut setup I have added a feature that will configure your Outputs based on a "Template FIle" which contains info about your personal setup. It can't cover everything but makes the initial setup a lot easier.

Warning: This post is mostly my own opinions and may contain irony, if you are obsessed with PAST history you may want to ignore it.

#11 pinallthetime

pinallthetime

• New Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info and all the work you do

#12 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:37 PM

... but it might become an issue in the new version where PAC drive outputs can be assigned for additional features.

Any further details on what you mean by "additional features" Wizard?? Or is that a surprise? :) :)

(my PacDrive outputs aren't the "Normally Off" type so also wondering if I'm going to have an issue when 5.2 is released?)

#13 Wizard

Wizard

MFME Creator

• Regulars
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

Any further details on what you mean by "additional features" Wizard?? Or is that a surprise? :) :)

(my PacDrive outputs aren't the "Normally Off" type so also wondering if I'm going to have an issue when 5.2 is released?)

I've relented and added features for hopper payouts, both machines with tradional triac operated slides and actual hoppers. So it can now payout in real time. Can also drive traditional electromechanical meters.

Another feature is driving multiple outputs from one lamp so you can use RGB leds.

Yes it may be an issue for you as the output will be on before MFME starts and clears it.

Warning: This post is mostly my own opinions and may contain irony, if you are obsessed with PAST history you may want to ignore it.

#14 TommyC

TommyC

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2832 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

Amazing bit of kit the new mfme,new features being added on a regular basis. Great stuff for all.
Hold the bells mate.

#15 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

I've relented and added features for hopper payouts, both machines with tradional triac operated slides and actual hoppers. So it can now payout in real time. Can also drive traditional electromechanical meters.

Another feature is driving multiple outputs from one lamp so you can use RGB leds.

Yes it may be an issue for you as the output will be on before MFME starts and clears it.

Wow!! That sounds like an amazing update! 

I'll maybe be able to get around any issues by running the pacdrive power through a relay that comes on once MFME is up and running so hopefully won't be a major issue. I could always sell my existing pacdrives and use the cash to buy two new ones.

Certainly sounds like v5.2 should really by v6.0 with the amount of changes and extra features it's getting.

Great work Wizard! With that update and (hopefully) more and more info coming together on making 'home cabinets' it should really help people create a genuinely authentic experience. :)

#16 thecodfather

thecodfather

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

That is great news Wizard, as Uptown has already stated, it will help those of us who want the "Home Cab" experience.

And Kudos to Pinallthetime for that great looking cab.

poker

#17 pinallthetime

pinallthetime

• New Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:37 PM

Made some progress today

mocked up the cab with card board (very rough will be tweaking it as I try and fit everything in it)

Attached File  20171124_154209.jpg   85.24KB   2 downloads

shrunk the PC foot print -took all the components out, cut the front section and sides off the case then re-installed the motherboard/processor/memory and power supply.  The hard drive will probably be mounted on the side wall of the cab.  Top it off when I hooked everything up it worked :)

Attached File  20171124_154441.jpg   86.26KB   4 downloads

Attached File  20171124_161543.jpg   61.76KB   1 downloads

Attached File  20171124_171457.jpg   105.35KB   5 downloads

#18 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Made some progress today

mocked up the cab with card board (very rough will be tweaking it as I try and fit everything in it)

attachicon.gif20171124_154209.jpg

shrunk the PC foot print -took all the components out, cut the front section and sides off the case then re-installed the motherboard/processor/memory and power supply.  The hard drive will probably be mounted on the side wall of the cab.  Top it off when I hooked everything up it worked :)

attachicon.gif20171124_154441.jpg

attachicon.gif20171124_161543.jpg

attachicon.gif20171124_171457.jpg

Just be careful when working around that!! You don't want to be dropsy with a large screwdriver or (god forbid) a bloody hammer!!!! :)

#19 pinallthetime

pinallthetime

• New Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:35 PM

What I like about doing projects like this is, I can make it what every I want.  For the cab I don't use any fancy program, I just use pencil, paper and sketch out a basic design.  After I get the basic design, I think about it for a few days and modify it as needed.  After I settle in on the design I move on to the next step.  Measure all the components and determine how I can get them all to fit inside the cab, this is the step where the sketch gets updated with measurements (sometimes I will mock up the design with cardboard to verify some of my assumptions).  When the sketch is finalized (the final product will probably not look anything like it :)) I go into the basement and see if I have a panel of wood big enough to cut all the pieces.  This step is like a puzzle, how can I get all the pieces from the wood I have available.  Some times  design and measurements are modified to align with what wood is available.  For this project I thought I had solved the puzzle and cut all the pieces.   I still have a lot to learn about cutting wood,  I am not very good at making exact cuts but I am getting better.  My advice to any one with similar skills is to get a good sander.   After all the pieces were cut I realized one of my measurements was way off,  the bottom of the box was cut short, oh'well keep moving forward.  

Attached File  1 wood frame cut.jpg   116.17KB   0 downloads 

The bottom was suppose to extend out so the button box would sit on it (see card board pic above).  Looking around the basement I found a thinner wood panel and decided I would just add it to the bottom later.    I then thought it would be a good idea to use this same wood panel and cut side wall for the cab that would extend over the button box.   For the back of the cab I decided to go top down not side to side, due to the weight of computer and it will be easier to work on the computer.  Measurements and my wood cutting skills were good enough, everything fit 

Attached File  4 new frame back closed.jpg   57.13KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2 new frame with side view.jpg   87.61KB   0 downloadsAttached File  3 new frame monitor attached back view.jpg   125.19KB   0 downloads

Looking forward to the new Simpsons release its going to look the bomb on my cab.  Never played the real machine but always loved the Simpsons.

#20 unclechicken

unclechicken

Professional Slacker

• Regulars
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:46 AM

After this is finished, you might like to try and run PinMAME on it also. Loads of tables to play on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users