Photo

Anyone know where the values for the 7 segment display are stored?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

Hi all,

Following on from getting my cabinet build I've been setting up various games to play on.

One of my favourites is Andy Capp and, for a bit of a joke (and to learn more about MFME) I've been messing around with it to make a 'bespoke' fruity for me and the wife.

I renamed it "Angie & John" and have changed the 'Andy Capp' character on the reels to one of me holding a beer.

The summerhouse (which we use as a pub) where my machine is going to end up is called "Shenanigans" so I've changed the Yellow bars for "She", "nani" and "gans".

You can see a picture here.....

Attached File  IMG_2476.JPG   326.88KB   2 downloads

When I get the feature the display says "Andy's move.." and then "Flo's move".

I would like to change that to read "John's move" and then "Ang's move"

I'm guessing that wouldn't be much of a change as the number of characters is staying the same. I've got a hex editor but just don't know where to look and how that value get's to the display?

Anyone know which file it's in and how I would go about changing it? Would I need to disassemble one of the rom files?

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

Edited by uptown47, 30 July 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#2 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:29 AM

It's ok... I've found it.... it was just in the rom file :)

Next question is.... does anyone know how I would edit the sound file so that I could use mine and the wife's voices for the "I'm oota here" and the "Where do you think you're going!" sounds :)

Edited by uptown47, 30 July 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#3 Wizard

Wizard

MFME Creator

• Regulars
  • 719 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:33 AM

Just be aware that changing the ROM file will probably result in a checksum alarm, so the checksum routine would need to be bypassed or altered to match.

You can search the ROM using the Hex Viewer option in the debugger.

While the game is running open the debugger Debug -> Mainboard then select Hex Viewer from the menu and type in the text to search for, select Text, ignore case and the press Search

The sound file is much more difficult to edit because the sounds are packed one after another, with a table at the start pointing to each entry.

Warning: This post is mostly my own opinions and may contain irony, if you are obsessed with PAST history you may want to ignore it.

#4 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

Just be aware that changing the ROM file will probably result in a checksum alarm, so the checksum routine would need to be bypassed or altered to match.

You can search the ROM using the Hex Viewer option in the debugger.

While the game is running open the debugger Debug -> Mainboard then select Hex Viewer from the menu and type in the text to search for, select Text, ignore case and the press Search

The sound file is much more difficult to edit because the sounds are packed one after another, with a table at the start pointing to each entry.

Yep, I've just edited the file and just got the Checksum alarm! :(

Do you know where the checksum routine is? Is it possible to 'update' the checksum to suit my new program rom?

I'm not sure I'll manage the sounds but I'll give it a go if I can get the checksum sorted :)

Thanks for your help (as always) :).

#5 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

Will be difficult/near impossible to change the checksum(s).... They are a security check, to stop any such editing of the rom i believe.

#6 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

Will be difficult/near impossible to change the checksum(s).... They are a security check, to stop any such editing of the rom i believe.

They must be calculated initially though. So I would have thought I could just 'recalculate' the checksum and then edit the ROM to have the new checksum (although I'm probably simplifying it somewhat!?!!??)

Or, as Wizard says, just bypass the checksum checking sequence altogether? Or just 'nop' it out?

I'm just not sure how to go about that though? Any ideas?

Cheers :)

#7 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

I can bypass the checksum checks on any protected Project Coin rom so am able to change anything in the rom.

There are probably hacked MPU4 roms out there like there is Maygay rom. All this protection can be bypassed if you have a little knowledge.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#8 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

Hi Fuzion,

Unfortunately, it's the knowledge bit I'm struggling with.... :) :)

I don't suppose if I was to send you the ROM you could have a look for me?

(I tried to upload it but we're not permitted to upload ROMs - didn't want to change the extension etc to get around the ban as don't want to breach the site rules - but if you were willing to help I could upload it to Zippyshare and then send you the link via PM) ??

I've edited the text etc I just need the checksum check either bypassing or correcting?

Alternatively, if you know of any way that I could do this myself I would love to hear it (teach a man to fish and all that..)

Cheers mate

John :)

#9 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

I've never hacked an MPU4 roms as I've never needed to.  I really haven't got the time right now to take a look but I know Guitar has done this kind of thing, he might be able to help you.  There is a way to investigate yourself.   I know there are some MPU4 hacked roms but again this is something I haven't got time to do right now.  I can take a look for you but it would be a bit of a wait.   There is a built in debugger in mfme which can be very useful.

J

#10 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

I've never hacked an MPU4 roms as I've never needed to.  I really haven't got the time right now to take a look but I know Guitar has done this kind of thing, he might be able to help you.  There is a way to investigate yourself.   I know there are some MPU4 hacked roms but again this is something I haven't got time to do right now.  I can take a look for you but it would be a bit of a wait.   There is a built in debugger in mfme which can be very useful.

J

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll see if Guitar picks up on this thread and has any ideas. Otherwise I'm happy to wait if it's something you would have time to look at in the next month or two.

Thanks again J. :)

#11 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, no worries.  I'm a bit of a dabbler but I'm sure I could do it in time.   No promises.    I'll probably look for a previously hacked MPU4 rom and see how it's been done.

There are people way more knowledgeable than me on the forums so someone might be able to do it quicker for you, but I don't mind taking a look when I can.

J

Is it the Barcrest version and 20p £6 token?

J

#12 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, no worries.  I'm a bit of a dabbler but I'm sure I could do it in time.   No promises.    I'll probably look for a previously hacked MPU4 rom and see how it's been done.

There are people way more knowledgeable than me on the forums so someone might be able to do it quicker for you, but I don't mind taking a look when I can.

J

Is it the Barcrest version and 20p £6 token?

J

That's great J. I've uploaded the file here: http://www58.zippysh...UTfoc/file.html

It's the 20p / £6 version but I'm not sure if it's barcrest or not?

I've had a quick look for a disassembler but need to have a proper look and see if I can find a decent program to turn the hex into assembly and then try and make heads and tails of it!

I'll post back if I manage to sort it so you're not wasting your time.

Or if someone else manages to get their heads around it in the meantime?

A big thanks again for your help/advice mate. Cheers John :)

#13 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:51 PM

I sent Wizard a couple of BWB roms a while back to have a look at that wouldn't run in the current emulator.

These initially looked like they had been edited as they had quite a bit of"altered game text"" and such as ©Barcrest changed to Sgt Bilko and other bizarre names.

Lots of text has been changed on some of the ones i have here, super streak, andy capp, but they don't run. They don't give a CHR or CHECKSUM error either.

There is a possibility they are Showman stock, these may have been edited by someone who knows what they are doing to alter % for fairgrounds etc.

Ps good luck with the Checksum editing on Mpu4.

Edited by Mavroz, 30 July 2017 - 06:52 PM.

#14 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

My ROM did run fine in the emulator until I changed the text from "ANDY" to "JOHN" and "FLO" to "ANG". Then I get the checksum error.

It might be interesting to see what the difference is in your Andy Capp ROM compared to mine to see if there's something in there that bypasses the checksum??

(Didn't realise there was such a thing as "showman stock" the crafty b.st..ds :) )

Edited by uptown47, 30 July 2017 - 07:20 PM.

#15 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

I'm not trying to alter the checksum, just bypass the routine that checks it.   

J

#16 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

I'm not trying to alter the checksum, just bypass the routine that checks it.   

J

Yep, that would be superb if you could :) :)

#17 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:34 PM

I had a look a little earlier and was successful in defeating the Checksum and was able to change 'ANDY CAPP' to 'UNDER PANTS'.   Now, I'm not sure if there is an emulator issue on these machines as when I reset the machine not matter if I have these hacked roms or non altered ones it gives off reel alarms in mfme.  So will test it further.

What specifically did you want the wording changed to, kind of need to fill the space there is will a match character wise, so bare that in mind :)

J

#18 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:39 PM

There is a slight problem.   I've knocked out a little too much code I think as I can't credit the machine up any longer.   Will spend some time on it and get back to you.

J

Attached Files

#19 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:41 PM

The checksum has 3 pairs of branches I believe, they can all be defeated by setting the respective branches to branch always.

Then the CHR check can be defeated in the same way.

Finally the lamp table shift part of the CHR can be sorted by taking the numbers out of a working layout and adding a small subroutine somewhere in the rom to return the numbers when needed.

The CHR isn't required of you intend to use it in the emulator only.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#20 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

Like I said I dabble with this stuff.   If you could do a more elegant job for this guy that would be great.

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users