30 replies to this topic

#1 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:31 AM

Anyone know why Global Games had such an obsession with Beavers featuring in so many of their games?

#2 banditboy2006

banditboy2006

Part of the furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:57 AM

with the feature in saturday night beaver on the hiddens called stroke my beaver gets me thinking

#3 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

@Mavroz

I worked there as a developer from 2002 to 2007. Like most Global games from those days, we just had our tongues firmly in our cheeks. Those machines were some of the first Global AWPs to get "approved" by the big breweries for injection into their estates (i.e. they buy a load of machines).

Up until then, we had some problems with games like Jigging in the Rigging and other "suggestive" titles.....breweries wouldn't touch them. So Beaver was just a way to continue that whilst making games that appealed to the pub market.

They were very successful indeed. We kept the Maygay factory VERY busy when their own games of that era were a bag of s*ite....

#4 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

LOL...  I've been through the samples on Jiggin.   Did you ever have to update the sound package on this?

'She's going down.... Like the missus'

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#5 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:26 PM

I still have a CD with the entire Global sound library on. How we got away with most of that stuff I do not know..........

#6 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

Be good if you could upload the cd somewhere as people could prob make sound roms with them :)

#7 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

Will do. I think they all had the sound ROM files in too...

#8 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:00 PM

#9 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

I still have a CD with the entire Global sound library on. How we got away with most of that stuff I do not know..........

I did snag a v2.0 Jiggin software board, we had the rechipped version 2.1.  I can't seem to locate it now though...

Do you have any nice early software eproms for any older stuff?

J

#10 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

Will do. I think they all had the sound ROM files in too...

This could be gold dust to the scene. Are we missing many sound roms from global? Many many thanks for sharing this resource with the rest of us. I'm sure many will appreciate it

#11 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

This could be gold dust to the scene. Are we missing many sound roms from global? Many many thanks for sharing this resource with the rest of us. I'm sure many will appreciate it

OK found them - where do you want them?

Also, I will do some checking, as the analogue machine market is dead and buried in the UK (with a few exceptions), if I can release source code and stuff for actual games then I will. No point keeping it anymore, would be good for the emu scene to see how a real machine was coded.

I'm happy to release the full code for a few overseas AWPs I wrote, since I own it all, which I'll do when I dig out my backups from years ago.

I keep thinking of doing a Q&A session or something for people to ask questions. I am slowly working on a book called "Give It A Spin: Tales from the UK Fruit Machine industry" which is starting to take shape. Got a mate whose a publisher to edit it for me, but it is looking good. Lots of funny stories about how games came to be made, crazy business tales (threatened with a gun at a Russian airport...) and a lot more besides....

#12 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

If it's full of epoch/global sounds Suppose you could either upload to this topic or you could upload to the epoch section within mfme5 downloads where it will be easier to access in the future!

Again I've said it time and time again this is where we need a resources section linked to either the downloads or galleries for when such valuable gems like this arise so members can upload into.

Many a time someone has uploaded a rom to a topic it then gets buried under other topics, then several months later for instance a creator requires that rom for a layout of which they then have to search the entire data base for it when it could've easily been put into a resource section simply titled ROMs, maybe have sub-sections for each tech.
Just an idea??

Edited by vectra666, 05 July 2017 - 08:07 AM.

The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#13 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

Hmm OK, CD 1 zipped is 450mb and CD 2 about 250mb.....

#14 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

Maybe a problem lol, maybe you could copy it and send it to a trusted member (not me lol)or upload in sections as max file size here is 80mbs
Wait till someone that knows about these things posts first.

#15 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

Can you upload to google drive or anything
Posted Image

#16 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

Mega file upload is another one

Edited by vectra666, 05 July 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#17 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:03 AM

One Drive, Dropbox etc would be the best way for big files.

J

#18 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:47 AM

OK found them - where do you want them?

Also, I will do some checking, as the analogue machine market is dead and buried in the UK (with a few exceptions), if I can release source code and stuff for actual games then I will. No point keeping it anymore, would be good for the emu scene to see how a real machine was coded.

I'm happy to release the full code for a few overseas AWPs I wrote, since I own it all, which I'll do when I dig out my backups from years ago.

I keep thinking of doing a Q&A session or something for people to ask questions. I am slowly working on a book called "Give It A Spin: Tales from the UK Fruit Machine industry" which is starting to take shape. Got a mate whose a publisher to edit it for me, but it is looking good. Lots of funny stories about how games came to be made, crazy business tales (threatened with a gun at a Russian airport...) and a lot more besides....

Thank you for the explanation of the machine naming, I thought it was amusing and realised it was a tongue in cheek thing such as carry on humour. The book you are working on will be a good read, I am sure. Keep me updated as to how it goes.
Many thanks again.

#19 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:23 PM

Global was all about Carry On humour. Before we started getting machines in the Maygay cabinets, we did rebuilds and the arcade owners loved the style of games (and the price..) and so did very well indeed. I think Spotted Dick was the biggest seller until Beaver came along.

All of the vocals on games were done by staff, one of the main developers (Mark) did most of the male vocals, and the receptionist/admin staff did the female ones. Good times. I still can't believe we got away with it all.

My favourite has to be from Jigging in the Rigging - "we've lost some seamen" ! 

#20 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

I've stripped out WAVs leaving just the ROM files and a few other bits - much more manageable! Still 58mb...

https://we.tl/YdJyCrU3pw

Expires after a week, let me know if you need it again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users