63 replies to this topic

#1 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

I posted this at the Mecca, but its relevant here too.

I have been working away in the background to improve the emulator, both in terms of different tech support, and getting the tools stable / finalised.

I plan on doing a full release as soon as possible, hopefully within the next week. Here's a quick rundown of where things stand at the moment tech wise.

MPU4

is running nicely, all 4 sound chips are emulated and working. Its now as fast as VB will allow, topping out at around 11MHz when unthrottled on my machine. At present 7 seg support is limited to the standard (non extender) setups, though I hope that will change before release. Individual LEDs are now supported in the editor as well.

Dynamic sound sampling for the OKI chip has been emulated, and I can say that it is used on many many machines, despite MAME saying they only found a few which used it.

I've been making some progress making PCP's Sunday Sport work, and I can get it to attract mode now. Hopefully it wont be too long before the game is a runner.

Data protocol games are *mostly* supported, and EDC messages can be translated in some cases. This is very much experimental though.

Characteriser support is there for most games, only a small few are not supported, and those that do not run are being looked at.

No Video or Plasma support yet, it is being looked in to, but not as a priority.

MPU3

Is being a pain in the backside. I can run Hyper viper now, I've added the tech fully to the editor, meters and display port etc are all emulated. However some games just refuse to boot up without error. I have been looking into it, and I may have to give in and copy MFME in a few places to get things going. I don't like doing it but time is getting scarce again.

Sound is unsupported at present, though I will do that once I get the games booting as they should.

On the upside there are a couple of games which now run which didn't before - Details to follow shortly!

MPU3 is the worst tech at present, so, moving on...

Scorpion 1

Whilst MPU3 is the worst supported tech, Scorp1 is by far the least tested tech. Its worked for every game I have tried so far, but that amounts to about 4 ROM sets. Its there, its connected to the editor, it works as far as I know.

Sound is fully supported too.

I was asked by Ploggy to have a look at getting Crazy Crocs to run and I am pleased to say that it is now a runner, with sound. There is a bug which causes the machine to lock up after about 9 minutes, I am looking into it, and think I know what it is. It should fully work by release time. But for the most part it plays and works.

Speed wise this is a fast tech, very minimal. Reaching 13MHz when unthrottled.

Scorpion 2

This is again pretty much fully working. There are a few bugs to iron out but only minor ones. The standout bug would be the dodgy alpha on Easy Money, which has the same bug as MFME.

Sound is fully supported, including YMZ280B support for HBIYR and Spotted Dick.

Games with the DMD are noticably slower, only reaching 7-8Mhz when unthrottled, though it is a dual core emulation with the DMD. Otherwise this is a nice fast tech now.

There werent many games that did not run in MFME, only HBIYR springs to mind as a non runner, which works in Amber. The only other real difference is the extra DMD lines for Cops n Robbers, so you can collect on certain features now.

M1x

A complex tech this one, but apparently now working.

This benefits from a full OKI chip support, including the *stereo* sound (its not really, its a fake stereo, just like the real thing).

Synth sounds are supported too, as well as the NEC chip games.

Again, not much on M1 that didn't run in MFME. The only games I can think of is Gemini's Crazy Cobra's where the reels would spin endlessly in MFME, this seems to play fine in Amber. The other game is winners enclosure, which requires a DMD. This still doesn't run unfortunately.

I haven't done a huge amount of testing, but every rom so far has worked without fault.

Speed wise its pretty good now, faster than MPU4, but slower than Scorpion 1/2.

BFM System 83

At long last this seems to be running ok.

Sound is fixed and supported and the tech has finally been added to the editor and can be altered from game to game rather than being hard coded for Cops n Robbers.

Speed wise its nice and fast now.

Not many games use the tech, but at least what we do have can now be played.

So that's roughly where things stand at the moment for the techs.

In terms of the editor everything is much more stable now, I hope that the next release will finalise the layout format. I will re-release some of the previously released layouts after upgrading certain parts to fit the new format.

Disk reels are now basically supported, the only game I have tested so far is Big Breakfast on Scorp2, which doesn't need disk lamping. Once a game which requires disk lamping is found I will update the emulator to suit.

A new statistics screen has been added to replace the horrible looking meters screen that was previously there. This tracks your current win/loss per session, as well as per machine played.

Edit tools are now mostly stable, primarilly the graphics library needs an update to fix a deletion bug, I hope to have that fixed before release.

Online functions are still disabled for the forseeable, awaiting a through rewrite to make it work properly.

Documentation will follow the release fairly closely and is being prepared at the same time. As I said before, I hope to release within a week or so.

After that, I will be making a start on adding 2 new techs, and 1 existing tech to the emulator, hopefully for a October time release.

At this point I should add my thanks to DT, who has been very helpful to getting stuff going, specifically M1 and Sys83.

And also to Wizard, most of scorp 1/2 is pretty much a carbon copy of MFME, though converted to VB and altered to suit the emulator format. MFME code has been helpful in other areas too. So credit where credit is due and all that.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#2 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

:) :) :)

#3 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Many thanks for the update and your ongoing work on this project :D

Looking forward to playing Cops N Robbers and being able to take the features which were previously broken (Great Train Robbery?).

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#4 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the update Guitar, totally mind blowing!!! The amount of time, coding skills and patience you have is a credit  to you. Thanks.

Edited by ricardo de ponsa, 12 August 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#5 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Nice too see things progressing with this expertise beyond my mentality, I can only just work out how to use some of photoshop let along make a programme up like this.
When this update gets released will there be any layouts for compliment it as things appear to have dried up where Amber's concerned would love to see club65 emulated in amber or any clubber or £25jp for that matter any w-i-ps guys?
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#6 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

thank you for the update progress Guitar... it is something that the FME scene desperately needs.

All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

=======================================================

speed

#7 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

thank you for the update progress Guitar... it is something that the FME scene desperately needs.

Not a problem. Hopefully by the time Epoch is done by Killcrazy, Project Amber will support ****** and ***** as well. (Fill in the blanks ;) )

#8 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Nice too see things progressing with this expertise beyond my mentality, I can only just work out how to use some of photoshop let along make a programme up like this.
When this update gets released will there be any layouts for compliment it as things appear to have dried up where Amber's concerned would love to see club65 emulated in amber or any clubber or £25jp for that matter any w-i-ps guys?

There will be some layouts to compliment it. Cops n Robbers Syste83 is being worked on, Crazy Crocs is being worked on. I have converted Pooks Big Breakfast, and Monte Carlo, Retrofruit's Eastenders, and a few other Barcrests.

Super Bear X can now be played, although mute for the time being.

A couple of MPU3's should now be possible, Star Turn being one, once MPU3 is fixed.

Plus if anyone else wants to convert a layout or two it would be nice. I will admit that the lack of docs is hurting progress, but if anyone is having a bash on their own, dont be afraid to ask questions!

Club 65 I own 2 of, if someone wants to make a large DX (1600 minimum) I will gladly supply photo's.

Edited by Guitar, 12 August 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#9 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the update. Which MPU3's cause issues on boot up?

bj

#10 niallquinn

niallquinn

• Contributor
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

"No Video or Plasma support yet, it is being looked in to, but not as a priority."

Come on Nick, Big Chief beckons!!!!

NQ.

Edited by bertfry, 12 August 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#11 cja272

cja272

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1489 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the update

https://www.facebook...hotosandwebcams Great Yarmouth photos and webcams on facebook  <p> 

#12 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the update. Which MPU3's cause issues on boot up?

bj

Too many to list. Hopefully after tonight it wont be an issue.

"No Video or Plasma support yet, it is being looked in to, but not as a priority."

Come on Nick, Big Chief beckons!!!!

NQ.

Find me a 68K core that can be easilly packaged in a dll (not FAME), and I will do it.

#13 piesthecat

piesthecat

Creator'N'Stuff

• Regulars
  • 1047 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for this update, Its sounding great so far.

#14 westy20040

westy20040

Layout Designer

• Regulars
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the update Guitar, your hard work is really appreciated 

#15 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

A small update, as of last night I was going through some more games that do not run in MFME.

Both PCP Little Devils, and Twice as Nice on scorpion 1 now run in Amber.

#16 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Not a problem. Hopefully by the time Epoch is done by Killcrazy, Project Amber will support ****** and ***** as well. (Fill in the blanks ;) )

blankety blank?

cheque book and pen!

#17 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

... Scorpion 5 and MPU 6? :D
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#18 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

Mp4_Video.

Electrocoin_hi-tech :) :)

Edited by richy1976, 13 August 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#19 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

blankety blank?

cheque book and pen!

Lol :D

Afraid not chap, a touch older than that.

Mp4_Video.

Electrocoin_hi-tech :) :)

Its a good guess but its not right.

#20 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Finally bought myself a new PC, have to admit my old one was on par with a Vic20!!!!

Looking forward at long last to playing some of the releases made for Amber and actually Amber itself and then add put in my kudos as i'm damn sure they are deserved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users