38 replies to this topic

#1 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:27 PM

Ok, as a MASSIVE fan of this era of JPM's I feel the need for a critique. This IS NOT intended to be nasty, hurtful, annoying or picking on you, but it may also seem quite harsh.

However you should also be aware that I freely admit I'm crap at artwork, so have ultimate respect for someone having a go and getting involved, but without a bit of constructive criticism, non eof us would improve.

1) Snake heads on the feature board should not be lit. The snakes are printed on the glass at the front, the square around the heads should be lit.

2) The £15 decal looks hideous, ok not your fault as it would seem the source art has these in, so what can you do, but a redraw would look better in the right font etc.

3) Reel number overlays are too big and also look like the wrong type.

4) Not your doing as its the same cab that has been doing the rounds, sorry to say it but it looks horrible, wrong colour, too basic, and the JPM logo was never black.

5) Ok this is a personal preference thing but I hate side art like that. I much prefer machines to be side-art-less, or something like retrofruit used to do and put a similar machine either side of it. But this is a personal thing, not sure you should change that if you like it.

Thats about it before I get home as I cant play it here, just look at the preview pic.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#2 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

Ok, as a MASSIVE fan of this era of JPM's I feel the need for a critique. This IS NOT intended to be nasty, hurtful, annoying or picking on you, but it may also seem quite harsh.

However you should also be aware that I freely admit I'm crap at artwork, so have ultimate respect for someone having a go and getting involved, but without a bit of constructive criticism, non eof us would improve.

1) Snake heads on the feature board should not be lit. The snakes are printed on the glass at the front, the square around the heads should be lit.

2) The £15 decal looks hideous, ok not your fault as it would seem the source art has these in, so what can you do, but a redraw would look better in the right font etc.

4) Not your doing as its the same cab that has been doing the rounds, sorry to say it but it looks horrible, wrong colour, too basic, and the JPM logo was never black.

5) Ok this is a personal preference thing but I hate side art like that. I much prefer machines to be side-art-less, or something like retrofruit used to do and put a similar machine either side of it. But this is a personal thing, not sure you should change that if you like it.

Thats about it before I get home as I cant play it here, just look at the preview pic.

EDITED Can't even be arsed to respond,if you don't like don't play it :daydreaming:

Edited by Tommy c, 11 June 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#3 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

'FME in Your Eyes'

Tonight Matthew Im going to be Mr House... :D

Attached Files

Edited by Johnnyafc, 11 June 2011 - 07:05 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Mr House

Mr House

Sometimes Critical

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

'FME in Your Eyes'

Tonight Matthew Im going to be Mr House... :D

LOL!

Very good! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

#5 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

EDITED Can't even be arsed to respond,if you don't like don't play it :daydreaming:

Fair enough I'll wait for a decent designer to release one then. In the mean time I'll just have to play the real thing.

#6 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

Fair enough I'll wait for a decent designer to release one then. In the mean time I'll just have to play the real thing.

Decent designer? if your so good then you fu**in release a decent dx of it.

#7 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

Decent designer? if your so good then you fu**in release a decent dx of it.

Well I tried to explain what was wrong with it. No designer worth his salt ignores criticism, what do you want me to say, thanks for ignoring me, more half finished layouts please?

I can't do a decent DX as discussed before, which is why I pass the resources to people I know A) can make a good layout, and B) will take the time to find out how the real thing looks.

I only tried to help, if you dont want to take notice its not my problem.

#8 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

Well I tried to explain what was wrong with it. No designer worth his salt ignores criticism, what do you want me to say, thanks for ignoring me, more half finished layouts please?

what your not getting though is we don't all get pssed perfect artwork DO WE!!!.

I can't do a decent DX as discussed before, which is why I pass the resources to people I know A) can make a good layout, and B) will take the time to find out how the real thing looks.

right so if you can't do a decent dx who are you to tell me mine is shit eh :rolleyes:

I only tried to help, if you dont want to take notice its not my problem.

I take critisism,i've had plenty over the years,but for you to try and make me look a dick in pulblic,nah i don't think so,thats why i chose to ignore you ned of.

#9 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

what your not getting though is we don't all get pssed perfect artwork DO WE!!!

I didn't criticise the layout in terms of picture quality, I totally took on board the fact that the source pics weren't great, its the lamping of the snake heads I mainly criticised, which you DO have control over.

The only real artwork I criticised was the decals, which AS I SAID IN MY POST, isn't your fault.

Oh and the cabinet, which quite frankly you do have control over, and the JPM logo has NEVER EVER been black on the cabinet, you don't need to be a genius in photoshop to paint it grey.

right so if you can't do a decent dx who are you to tell me mine is shit eh :rolleyes:

I own the real machine and I have eyes, just because I cant use photoshop doesnt mean I cant tell the difference between a drawing(layout) and the real thing.

I take critisism,i've had plenty over the years,but for you to try and make me look a dick in pulblic,nah i don't think so,thats why i chose to ignore you ned of.

I'm not trying to make you look like a dick in public (doing a pretty good job of that on your own now), I just pointed out some issues with the layout as relates to the real machine.

#10 Mr House

Mr House

Sometimes Critical

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

You are far from a a "dick" Tommy, take no notice from this.

I am at a loss to understand why he's behaving like this as 1. he said those comments simply from look at a picture (on your release thread - regardless of owning the machine or not) and 2. it is people like you he needs to work on his Amber if it's released.

Why royally piss off the designers you need most to make your product a success, I do not know.

Edited by Mr House, 12 June 2011 - 12:48 PM.

#11 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

:)

Edited by Tommy c, 12 June 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#12 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

I didn't criticise the layout in terms of picture quality, I totally took on board the fact that the source pics weren't great, its the lamping of the snake heads I mainly criticised, which you DO have control over.

Snakes heads lol ffs it was 10 years ago since i last played this machine.

The only real artwork I criticised was the decals, which AS I SAID IN MY POST, isn't your fault.

Oh and the cabinet, which quite frankly you do have control over, and the JPM logo has NEVER EVER been black on the cabinet, you don't need to be a genius in photoshop to paint it grey.

decals werent my fault so you had no reason to bring em up.and if you look close enough the jpm is grey and not black as you say.Maybe i should have lightened it a bit

I own the real machine and I have eyes, just because I cant use photoshop doesnt mean I cant tell the difference between a drawing(layout) and the real thing.

Well good for you,i don't own the real machine,so i lamped it how i think it would look.

I'm not trying to make you look like a dick in public (doing a pretty good job of that on your own now),

:biglaugh: why am i doing that myself,i'm responding to your posts which you wanted me to :)

Good Day Sir :D

Edited by Tommy c, 12 June 2011 - 01:07 PM.

#13 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

Well good for you,i don't own the real machine,so i lamped it how i think it would look.

So ASK how it should look ffs. Don't just guess.

#14 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:47 PM

So ASK how it should look ffs. Don't just guess.

I recall pming you 3 times on here asking something and didn't get a response,remember i told you about it.Plus i only knew you had the machine once i'd finished the lamping,so whatever,you stick to your coding and i'll carry on what i olove to do ;)

#15 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

Yeah yours looks really grey.

Attached Files

#16 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I am at a loss to understand why he's behaving like this as 1. he said those comments simply from look at a picture (on your release thread - regardless of owning the machine or not) and 2. it is people like you he needs to work on his Amber if it's released.

Oh I'm sorry does the cabinet and snake heads change colour in the layout then?

Please carry on producing layouts that look nothing like the real machine, More Please!!!! - Whatever

Why royally piss off the designers you need most to make your product a success, I do not know.

My product will be a success based on the accuracy of emulation, which is pretty pointless if the layouts produced for it arent accurate.

I'm terribly sorry for trying to improve the quality of the released layouts.

Its not like I'm making any money from Amber so quite frankly if I piss off all the people who make shoddilly researched layouts so only the good ones get released, f*** yeah.

#17 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

Yeah yours looks really grey.

Cab i used,if you read the post i said maybe i should have lightened the area abit more,like you say wait for a proper designer to do it and stop making me keep wasting bandwidth responding to your petty digs,jog on.

Attached File  vogue.jpg   49.38KB   5 downloads

#18 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

Oh I'm sorry does the cabinet and snake heads change colour in the layout then?

Please carry on producing layouts that look nothing like the real machine, More Please!!!! - Whatever

there you are again with those snakes heads,get em out your head before they send you round the bend :rolleyes:

My product will be a success based on the accuracy of emulation, which is pretty pointless if the layouts produced for it arent accurate.

I'm terribly sorry for trying to improve the quality of the released layouts.

Its not like I'm making any money from Amber so quite frankly if I piss off all the people who make shoddilly researched layouts so only the good ones get released, f*** yeah.

I'm gonna say this like it is now due to that post.I don't give two flying f***s what you think of my layouts,just like i don't give a flying f*** wether you accurate emulator gets released or not,but like everyone else,i was showing some interest,but now your trying to say my layouts are not going to be good enough for your perfect emulator,well bollocks to you then.

#19 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Whatever, its a shit layout, badly researched, improperly lamped, and full of guesswork.

Please dont produce any layouts for my emulator, much better for my emu to be associated with quality whilst MFME gets sullied with ten-a-penny layouts produced by people who dont care enough to correct their mistakes.

#20 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

Whatever, its a shit layout, badly researched, improperly lamped, and full of guesswork.

Please dont produce any layouts for my emulator, much better for my emu to be associated with quality whilst MFME gets sullied with ten-a-penny layouts produced by people who dont care enough to correct their mistakes.

Correct there mistakes,you have already said the machine is getting done by someone else with your artwork,so whats the big problem,and who do you think you are trying to tell me what i can and can't produce,how wrong can i be about people sometimes,what a first class dick you are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users