- - - - -

What Colour Is Unleaded Petrol Meant To Be

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

Hi all as the title says what colour is unleaded petrol meant to be.the reason i ask is i went to the petrol station earlier and filled a can up with unleaded petrol to fill my dirt bike up with,i already had about a quater of a tank in the bike and it had been running fine.I then filled the tank to the top with the petrol i'd just bought,it ran ok for about 10 minutes then started to smoke heavily.It then just cut out when reving the throttle,and would only tick over.I dumped all the fuel out to see if there was any crap in the tank...there wasn't! I then put the fuel back in the tank,the bike then run fine for about 15 minutes,but was still smoking heavily.Now it will kick up b ut any throttle added just makes the engine cut out straight away.The only thing i can think of is the fuel i bought today,i've had no problems what so ever apart from today.Any advice/info is greatly apreciated all many thanks.

Anthony

#2 hitthesix

hitthesix

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3382 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:31 PM

A light golden colour, but if it's smoking bad could well be it needs oil, and nothing to do with the fuel. so best to check that as well.
it will also smoke if you tipped the bike upside down.

#3 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:14 AM

A light golden colour, but if it's smoking bad could well be it needs oil, and nothing to do with the fuel. so best to check that as well.
it will also smoke if you tipped the bike upside down.

Thanks for the reply hts,iv'e checked the oil level and it's fine,the bike wont even tick over properly as when it does start just reving it causes the engine to cut out.i thought it maybe the fuel as it's been fine up untill i put the new fuel in it.i checked the colour of the fule i bought and it was an illuminous green cloudy colour which i thought is odd.

#4 jim2311

jim2311

Genius

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:29 AM

I'm sure if the fuel was the problem the petrol station you purchased it from would have customers banging on their door to complain. Best thing is to try fuel from another petrol station.

#5 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:35 AM

the colour of the fule i bought and it was an illuminous green cloudy colour which i thought is odd.

:unsure: Dosent sound too healthy to me..not that i know nothing about it really..but im sure petrol has a clear/yellowish tinge to it..sounds like liquid Kyrptonite they must have put in the tanks.

http://kereta.info/w...SSO-MOBIL-2.jpg
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#6 Darienne

Darienne

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:09 AM

If you bought the petrol from a TOTAL garage then odds on that it will be topped up with water !!! (they do this to make the petrol cheaper)

To resolve the problems - goto a BP garage and fill the bike up with their BP ULTIMATE -- This solves a lot of problems with both bikes & cars.. (I used to have a common ANTIPOLUTION FAULT crop up on my puggy due to using cheap fuel - this fault used to stay lit for weeks on end, I filled up with BP ULTIMATE and the fault dissapeared within an hour)

Edited by Darienne, 25 November 2010 - 09:10 AM.

#7 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

Is it two stroke or 4 stroke? If its two the oil pump might be broke and letting too much oil in causing a lot of smoke :)

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

Quit Gambling as of 3rd of March 2012

#8 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

The local youth club had a bike which did exactly that, it would start ok then as soon as throttle applied it would cut out. It turned out to be an ignition fault in the end (spark side).

Thats about my total knowledge of Bikes though. Always been a car man.

But he petrol colour does sound interesting to say the least. Any chance of a photo of some in a clear glass container?

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#9 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

Thankyou to all for your comments/advice after taking the carb off and stripping the engine down i then refilled with the fuel i bought yesterday,still no change.I went to tescos filled up with there unleaded filled my bike with that it fired first time smoked for about 5 seconds and it's back to normal running fine.I decided to check the fuel i got from tescos compared to the shit i got from bp,the one from bp was illuminous green and the one from tescos was was a very light copper colour.So i've rather had the dreggs from the bottom of the tank or the fuels been contaminated in the pumps.

I've also tried to light a fire with the fuel from bp and it wont even ignite,so theres sommat not right there.

#10 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

I've also tried to light a fire with the fuel from bp and it wont even ignite,so theres sommat not right there.

:lol: Defo...you wouldnt make a very good arsonist Tommy. ;)
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#11 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

then odds on that it will be topped up with water !!!

I so doubted this reply Darienne, going back to my school days I thought this could only be achieved with additives to create a 'school chemistry lesson practical experiment'....let alone run an engine in it's raw form...

Was easy to see this is possible by reading http://www.business-...-fuel-does-mix/

I'm really gobsmacked tbh.

#12 hitthesix

hitthesix

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3382 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

#and the one from tescos was was a very light copper colour.So i've rather had the dreggs from the bottom of the tank or the fuels been contaminated in the pumps.

Methinks you bought deisel mate. :rolleyes: :biglaugh: does it smell like petrol??

Edited by hitthesix, 25 November 2010 - 06:52 PM.

#13 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

Methinks you bought deisel mate. :rolleyes: :biglaugh: does it smell like petrol??

Next Q .. What's petrol smell like?

At todays prices it STINKS!

#14 hitthesix

hitthesix

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3382 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

Next Q .. What's petrol smell like?

At todays prices it STINKS!

Petrol smells like petrol funily enough and yeah it stinks, desiel smells worse lol, and won't ignite, afalk, so like i said i think tommy has stuck desiel in the can by mistake,especially as he says it is a red/brown colour. :spinny:

#15 bri365

bri365

Master Joker

• Regulars
  • 724 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:02 AM

Petrol smells like petrol funily enough and yeah it stinks, desiel smells worse lol, and won't ignite, afalk, so like i said i think tommy has stuck desiel in the can by mistake,especially as he says it is a red/brown colour. :spinny:

No Tommy said " an illuminous green cloudy colour which i thought is odd" not red/brown.

Come here to post jokes, oh and to play the occasional frutie.

#16 Darienne

Darienne

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:52 AM

I so doubted this reply Darienne, going back to my school days I thought this could only be achieved with additives to create a 'school chemistry lesson practical experiment'....let alone run an engine in it's raw form...

Was easy to see this is possible by reading http://www.business-...-fuel-does-mix/

I'm really gobsmacked tbh.

Replies on here say it all.... My link

#17 weaselboy39

weaselboy39

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Sounds like it was diesel, it comes in different colours depending where you are.
Red,Green, or a light blue colour. Country Green is UK Diesel

If there was a bit of petrol still in the tank it would of mixed and the bike still would of run as you say.
The smoke it due to the oil in the diesel.
Should be ok as long as you fill it up with petrol, the diesel will burn off Tommy.

Edited by weaselboy39, 26 November 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#18 markleshark

markleshark

• New Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

defo diesel tommy!! i used to drive the fuel tankers + the illuminous yellow green colour is due 2 additives 4 the winter, + as mentioned earlier all diesels are diff colour depending where purchased + the quality :policeman: but instead of admiting it was you just blame the garage + if it was me i would be demanding compensation!!!!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

#19 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

Heres a piccie of the two side by side,i'll let you lot guess which is the dodgy one lol.I can guarantee you the pump i pumped it from said unleaded,the other two pumps were locked and out fo order.please note the pic was took off my mobile phone and in the out house storage so it aint that good.

Attached File  fuel.png   138.04KB   14 downloads

#20 markleshark

markleshark

• New Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

Heres a piccie of the two side by side,i'll let you lot guess which is the dodgy one lol.I can guarantee you the pump i pumped it from said unleaded,the other two pumps were locked and out fo order.please note the pic was took off my mobile phone and in the out house storage so it aint that good.

Attached File  fuel.png   138.04KB   14 downloads

to be honest tommy i'll tell you what it looks like, it looks like a high percentage petrol but with diesel in. this is quite common if the driver loads petrol on top of some diesel that was left in the pot from a previous delivery, eg,,, the truck was parked on a slope or he arrived with too much diesel as the pumps were full, then he may have say 100 litres left in the compartment, he then loads 7000 litres of petrol in the same pot, the result is that shit!!! for most cars no problem but for sensitive bikes it is bad news as you discovered. but wot is more common is when red diesel is left in the tanker, the driver then loads white diesel in same pot, guess wot?? the driver now has left over white diesel 4 HIS CAR!!!!!! :arghh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users