Photo
- - - - -

Layout Designers - Your opinions please.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

Ok so FMEf is now really getting to the stage where I need to make some design tools that are both functional, but also do everything the emulator can do.

Everyone I speak to has said make it close to MFME / JPeMu. So I propose to do it similar to MFME but you must add transparency to every lamp. That allows me to adjust lamp brightness to do dimmed lamping later on, you can also mix colours still if required to give a glowing effect.

Or something similar to that, however its not set in stone, so I'm throwing it open for comments and suggestions, what would you like it to do. And how do you want to interact with it.

There are restrictions but the more people who like it, the better. So, over to you.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#2 kriss

kriss

Creator Of Stuff

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

Zoom fuction when lamping....in the emulator of course

#3 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

ability to choose which colour we copy when we choose to copy colour (usually copies the top one of the list in mfme but not the one that i want)

#4 mattyballs

mattyballs

psychatric help needed !

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

ability to choose which colour we copy when we choose to copy colour (usually copies the top one of the list in mfme but not the one that i want)

ARE YOU RESPONDING TO THE RIGHT POST MATTY N !!!:biglaugh:

(only jesting dude:kiss:..as always)....keep yer pecker up...you,ll create a monster one day

A++:D
if i had HALF of the HALF a brain ive got...i,d be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS...

u wanna fight,,fight me!...

(go on..beat up a bird with a dick!!)

#5 brucegeorge

brucegeorge

Layout Disasters

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:57 PM

silly little things this but when you load up the lamps matrix can they be red lamps not yellow cos its hard to see them when you do the lamping i know it aint a big thing but it would help in my eyes a colour that is more strong other than thaT maybe a way to turn the sound up and down on the machine cos if your watchin a dvd and playin the machine it hard to get the sound right silly things i know lol

#6 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:30 PM

abiltiy to set the default file location & not where the executable is stored

(i.e you can change it to look for file on the desktop as default)

#7 Dr DX

Dr DX

Daddy To A Little Angel

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

possable to add .gifs (animated side art) or linkable images to the like of FE.

Brian
Women are #@#@#@#s....

#8 Pook

Pook

More human than human.

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

Avoid most masking issues completely by allowing us to cut lamps out freehand, like the lasso tool in photshop.

I like the gif idea also. :)

dxspin.gif.1990cda2521f8b579dadc6cbba572

Click to visit my site.

#9 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

Avoid most masking issues completely by allowing us to cut lamps out freehand, like the lasso tool in photshop.

Can you elaborate on the freehand thing please. You want to cut round the lamps within the emu? That sounds increadibly complex, and probably wont result in a good image, but that might not be what you mean.

Yeah the gif Idea is good but not doable as the directx just loads over the top of it. In one of the downloadable layouts there is a small fireworks gif that i forgot to delete which was a test.

However making an animation panal that can sit beside the machines but run in directx, that is possible.

#10 Guest_DAD_*

Guest_DAD_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

Hi mate, long time no see. Hope everything is OK :)

Any chance you can get to work on those WIPs on your site? A Pook DX is long overdue ;)

FAO: Guitar How's the fix for Vista coming along, any progress?

#11 Dr DX

Dr DX

Daddy To A Little Angel

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

Can you elaborate on the freehand thing please. You want to cut round the lamps within the emu? That sounds increadibly complex, and probably wont result in a good image, but that might not be what you mean.

Yeah the gif Idea is good but not doable as the directx just loads over the top of it. In one of the downloadable layouts there is a small fireworks gif that i forgot to delete which was a test.

However making an animation panal that can sit beside the machines but run in directx, that is possible.

Yes that would be great but would it be possable to make the .GIF animation panel scalable so that it could be made into side art if that is possable?
Women are #@#@#@#s....

#12 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

For me like I explained in MSN it is quite simple.

You have to try to get the tools as close as possible to mfme/jpemu. BFemu did not and that suffered because of that.
Start with a blank canvas and give the user the opportunity to pick from the tool box what they want to add, eg lamps, reels, buttons. Give each component a right click properties panel to which you can customise what the componet can do eg give the basic lamp its on off colours and lamp number.

I honestly believe the initial set of tools should be designed with making classics a priority. I think making the emulator all fancy with dimmed lamps, toned segs and alphas are not a critical first step. Get the thing working and working well so that loads of folk can pick it up out of the box and give it a go. Once folk are more comfotable with it add the various asthetic things to start making it look good.

#13 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

cake will solve this problem

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

Quit Gambling as of 3rd of March 2012

#14 Pook

Pook

More human than human.

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

Thats's pretty much what I mean, MFME & JPeMu only have rectangular graphical lamps. If we could cut out the lamps manually it would avoid masking unwanted areas altogether. See attatched pics...

Attached Files

Click to visit my site.

#15 Pook

Pook

More human than human.

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hi mate, long time no see. Hope everything is OK :)

Any chance you can get to work on those WIPs on your site? A Pook DX is long overdue ;)

FAO: Guitar How's the fix for Vista coming along, any progress?

Yeah I know, 'must, try, harder'

The Vista issue is one of the main issues, you know the era machine I do, f***ed sound makes me uninterested in about 2mins.

Click to visit my site.

#16 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

The Vista issue is one of the main issues, you know the era machine I do, f***ed sound makes me uninterested in about 2mins.

Are you using Vista and have it working?

The sound fix is in progress, lots to do to reimplement Directsound, should be a few days work.

#17 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

Thats's pretty much what I mean, MFME & JPeMu only have rectangular graphical lamps. If we could cut out the lamps manually it would avoid masking unwanted areas altogether. See attatched pics...

That would be really really hard to do. And not only that would probably be very inferior to the tools in photoshop.

Also computer graphics is rendered in squares, So to render odd shapes in real time would take massive amounts of GPU power that just isnt available.

However what you could do is place the lamp square over a lamp and then draw round something, and it would create the square with the transparency automatically.

Thats about as close as I can get. And even that will probably be a struggle to get it to work well.

#18 Pook

Pook

More human than human.

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

That would be really really hard to do. And not only that would probably be very inferior to the tools in photoshop.

Also computer graphics is rendered in squares, So to render odd shapes in real time would take massive amounts of GPU power that just isnt available.

However what you could do is place the lamp square over a lamp and then draw round something, and it would create the square with the transparency automatically.

Thats about as close as I can get. And even that will probably be a struggle to get it to work well.

Yeah I was just talking from an ease angle without knowing the ins and out of programming etc. If it unfeasable they it's no biggie, we've managed this far haven't we.

Click to visit my site.

#19 gembryn

gembryn

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

Could you not implement png support? You'd get an alpha channel instead of the pink area, so when loaded into your editor you only see the visible part of the image that you need (so no more masking).
Further to this, you let the users continue using programs like photoshop/G.I.M.P for the majority of the designing work so should only need to offer simple placement tools for your editor.

You can also perform simple alpha blending between lamp sprite and covering image, so one sprite acting as a lamp will conrtibute brightness to any sprites covering it (as it should).

bitmask

#20 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

Could you not implement png support? You'd get an alpha channel instead of the pink area, so when loaded into your editor you only see the visible part of the image that you need (so no more masking).
Further to this, you let the users continue using programs like photoshop/G.I.M.P for the majority of the designing work so should only need to offer simple placement tools for your editor.

You can also perform simple alpha blending between lamp sprite and covering image, so one sprite acting as a lamp will conrtibute brightness to any sprites covering it (as it should).

bitmask

Ah, Bryn, just the man. All the alpha channel stuff is implemented already, I take it they actually work on png files then as bmp's dont seem to hold the alpha channel properly and I got nowhere.

Are you able to help out a little?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users