24 replies to this topic

#1 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

A few little tweaks and updates from the first edition.

1) Extended possible resolutions list to include several widescreen formats. Even a 1200*1920 special for those with rotateable 24inch displays. (or smug gits as I call them ;))

2) The MPU Config panel now works and all button states save too. This was a slight oversight in version 1.

3) Added some protection on some input boxes to prevent overflow.

4) Moved the emulator options to a new options form so the button panel is less cluttered. Options now available via "Emu Options" > "Options"

5) In that same form you will also find a new "Lite Mode" toggle. If your finding it a bit slow check that and you should see a speed increase. This will decrease the lamping smoothness in return for extra cpu time. See the docs for how to edit the lamping value to prevent flicker. Wherever possible turn lite mode off.

6) Tweaked a few bits of the editor, nothing major and layouts should load / save without issue.

7) Added a new logo and splash screen. Hopefully caught another bug that could cause problems when changing resolution.

And thats it.

Simply install this zip over the top of the others. Existing layouts should be unaffected.

When prompted to overwrite files click "YES"

Attached Files

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#2 £6 In Tokens

£6 In Tokens

AKA £9 In Vouchers

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:17 PM

Cheers Guitar. Not had time to look at this yet, although I want to try a layout for it. What techs can be done at present on this?

:devil:

#3 spa

spa

Layout Designer

• Moderators
  • 2494 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the swift update Guitar :)

http://www.youtube.com/FruitVideos - My youtube channel

https://drive.google...R3ZTMTBIQTdwWUU- My Drive

#4 ForYouToEnvy

ForYouToEnvy

Prince says....Raghead

• Regulars
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

Thanx for the update:D

#5 superbank

superbank

Antagonist

• Gold Supporters
  • 567 posts

Donator

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

Thanks very much Guitar - great work!! :)

#6 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

What techs can be done at present on this?

MPU4, MPU4 and MPU4.

You can play any game with a max of 128 Lamps and NO characteriser.

Basically Empire, MDM, Union Games, and Barcrest Non-CHR games (usually 2p play).

I need to give magik a shout, he said he has extender boards.

#7 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:38 PM

The available resolutions are as follows.

640*480
800*600
960*600
1024*768
1152*864
1280*720
1280*768
1280*800
1280*960
1280*1024
1360*768
1440*900
1600*1200
1680*1050
1920*1200
1920*1440
1200*1920

#8 £6 In Tokens

£6 In Tokens

AKA £9 In Vouchers

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

OK cheers, shall I try a MPU4 then ;)

Will see how it goes.

:devil:

#9 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:50 PM

will it run epoch

teehee

but seriously good work mate

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

Quit Gambling as of 3rd of March 2012

#10 RB

RB

PISH Artist

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3342 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

Thanks Guitar :D

im having a little play with this and have MDM's the mob loaded up looking good at 1200X1920.

great news on the quick update and look forward to future updates. :D :devil:
Cyberpunk:- alienated loner who lives on the edge of society in generally dystopic future where daily life is impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body.....Hmmmmm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:24 PM

Ok there's good and bad news.

Good News, I have found what is causing the colours to wash out when lamping. I have also found a way to make the lamps look much more realistic.

Bad News, Existing layouts will look very dark where lamped.

I'll post an updated exe in a moment and you'll have to fiddle with the existing layouts you may have started. I will fix PBN and post an update to the file sharing site.

Sorry about this, however it does mean the lamping will look much better now.

I'll try and write some info about how I think the best results can be got. However I'm sure you lot will find a better way than me.

#12 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

Ok here we go...

To install, Overwrite the existing exe with this one.

If you haven't got 1.0.1 installed already then please download from the beggining of the thread and then overwrite the exe in there.

Ok when you load up the PBN layout you will probably find that the lamps go all dark.

As a temporary measure you can re-enable the old style of alpha blending.

goto "Display Options" > "Advanced GFX" then tick the blending style to Use Alpha Channel.

LAYOUT DESIGNERS!

Please use the Texture Colour style. This will prevent the colours washing out but will require setting up differently to the old ones. I will try and explain the difference.

The blending method used originally simply added the colours of the pixels together.
Example:

pixel 1 = Red 10, Green 20, Blue 80 (taken from glass)
Pixel 2 = Red 50, Green 50, Blue 50 (taken from lamp)

the pixel colour on the screen
Pixel Out = Red 60, Green 70, Blue 130

Well, thats not quite true. Its actually taking the alpha channel from the bmp files. But I'm useless with photoshop so its all a single colour so the output is the same as above.

Those of you who know how to use alpha channels might be able to get better results through this.

The handling is all there. This might be of better use to layout designers who may wish to use the old lamping method in places. I could write reams of ideas on how to use the fairly powerfull tools included in FMEF. It will take a while to get used too but give it a few months and I'm sure we'll see some fantastic layouts.

Anyway, the new lamping style uses the mask as a light map. So if its black it darkens the area and if its white it lightens it. If its in the mid point (Red 127, Green 127, Blue 127) then no colour change will occur.

so if you make the "off" mask 127,127,127 (RGB) and the on mask lit but with 127,127,127 at its darkest, you will get a lit effect. But just play with the numbers and see what looks right. By combining the texture back colour (also brightness can be altered with this!), with different masks you can create an array of effects.

I am really looking forward to seeing games like luxor done with this. Multi coloured lamps in one area are available and of course there is no limit on the number of lamps in one space.

I'm also toying with the idea of adding a customisable splash screen which would pop up for each layout, as opposed to sideart.

Also a library of technical info for each machine could be built up.

Anyway thats roughly how the alpha blending works now. So go forth and create layouts. I'll get to work on sounds and CHR's.

Attached Files

#13 Liverpool2008

Liverpool2008

I come back every now and then :p

• Regulars
  • 2246 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:36 PM

i get sod all freezes when boots up on the exe programme
<a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='https://www.facebook...?ref=hl</a></a>

#14 kriss

kriss

Creator Of Stuff

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for this Guitar :)

Kriss

#15 kriss

kriss

Creator Of Stuff

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:40 AM

Yeah same problem here.

Guitar I read that you done it on your comp which has SP3, my comp is SP2, I wonder if thats whats cauesing the problem.

(Lee are you on SP2?)

#16 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

How long have you left it for?

#17 levartemit186

levartemit186

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

It hangs on me too as well Guitar, get the black screen and thats it, cant do anything. When I end the program in the process manager, it is consuming a large amount of memory. Any ideas?

#18 niallquinn

niallquinn

• Contributor
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

Works fine for me........once I found expanded the tool bar to find the coin inputs!!!

:)

#19 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:31 PM

It hangs on me too as well Guitar, get the black screen and thats it, cant do anything. When I end the program in the process manager, it is consuming a large amount of memory. Any ideas?

Hmm. What speed machine are you using and how long are you leaving it. There will be an approx 1 - 2 minute delay on startup because of all the stuff its loading.

#20 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:16 PM

Hi, just tried to get this to run but says......... DX8VB.DLL was not found. reinstaling the app may fix this problem! It then says that it has stopped responding. Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users