• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 TeddyBare

TeddyBare

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 08:44 PM

Right... now... well.......

I may be missing something.... but I'll post anyway.... downloaded this.... and ran it... created all the directory's, I think, ummmmm does it do anything else? Am I missing something obvious? Or is it just to help hopeless cases like me who had huge problems when I first started downloading this stuff.

Don't want to sound ungrateful or anything because this would have been superb when I started as I got very confused...... just wanna make sure I ain't missing something?

#2 Wozza

Wozza

Advanced Member

• Gold Supporters
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 12:17 PM

No problem with Questions, thats what this forum is all about!

basically you are right, because of all the help and advice required on initial installation, I have simplified the process into one download.

The directory structure will be important later as this builds the basic structure required for 'GamebaseFM' we need a standard or it will get really messy!

The program also checks to see if the emulators can run on your system, not as silly as you think, as this has been asked hundreds of times before.

There are also registry tweaks made to BFMulator setup to allow separate RAM files needed to run layouts direct from zip files.

And of course programs added to the start menu.

There hopefully will be more enhancements as time progresses like live updates when new emulators are released, but focus is now on GamebaseFM

Hope this clarifys things a little

Wozza
Wozza

#3 morphman

morphman

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 08:36 PM

Why does this program attempt to access the internet?

SU50runtime and another program, cant rememebr which.

Nice installer, but the fact it tries to connect to the net worries me.

#4 cockadoodledoo

cockadoodledoo

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 12:08 PM

:?: can't see what all the fuss is about,I think it's a great little utility basically a 4-1 emulator download that saves you a lot of bother in my opinion,well done to the man or women that invented it,as for it tries to connect to the internet bit please can you explain as i've lost the plot over that.

#5 Wozza

Wozza

Advanced Member

• Gold Supporters
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 08:40 PM

Ok, let me explain, firstly there is no malicious code in the installer, this would never be done, there would be too much to lose and a lot of reputation lost.

The only thing the installer does is check for internet connection. This is required when Live internet updates are implemented.

This feature is not in the current release, but the base code is in Vesrion 1.0.

Hope this eases your fears, and please do not be put off using this program.

Wozza
Wozza

#6 sabreb

sabreb

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 08:09 PM

Hi to you all and i hope you can point me in the right direction. I`ve download the installer which opens and runs. After answering all the questions it starts to install.....until it gets to the point of installing the truetype font. thats it, it locks up and doesnt go any furthur....any ideas folks. My machine passes all the test that the program tests for.

#7 Wozza

Wozza

Advanced Member

• Gold Supporters
  • 453 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 10:39 PM

Hi sabreb,

I am aware of this problem, at that stage all should be installed. if you use task manager to end the process.

The safest bet is to uninstall the program, reboot, ensure nothing is running (disable virus killers etc) and then run setup again.

Hope this sorts your problem

Wozza
Wozza

#8 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:29 PM

thx for the reply but i sussed out the problem...basically when using xp u can explore an archived file, ie zip or rar`ed without extracting the files....this is what i did when i tried the install...what i should have done is extracted the files first then installed...hey presto , job complete.

thx again

#9 handsome_rob

handsome_rob

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:50 PM

I setup a new windows install on another PC this week and then realised I didnt have any emulation goodness on it.

So I used the FMEIW and must say, Im very impressed.

This will suit newbies down to the ground, and is very useful to keep the emulation tidy.

top marks lads :)

#10 closed

closed

• New Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 06:14 AM

For newbies? This?

Mysterious errors, stuff put in the registry, crashes requiring uninstalls - except that there's no uninstall function - exits through the Task Manager, reboots and switching off every other program ever (including stuff run at Windows startup that newbies might not even know HOW to switch off), after which it STILL locks up trying to install the font anyway, unwanted and useless internet access, God knows what left in your registry after you give up and delete the folder...

Nice idea, but it seems to me what you've invented here is a newbie-terrifying kit, five times as frightening as just installing the emus normally and half as useful. Better luck with V1.2.

#11 Wozza

Wozza

Advanced Member

• Gold Supporters
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:39 PM

Please note this is certainly not the norm, this program was tested on multiple machine and multiple OS's with no problems.

There are issues if you run directly from the zip file without extracting first, but if you do that, and close other running applications first then these serious errors should not occur.

This program was developed using commercial installation tools and the tools are used worldwide by thousands of customers without these type of issues.

This software has been downloaded thousands of times already, and no issues of this type have been reported.

All I can suggest is that you ensure your operating system is fully patched and upto date.

Which OS are you using?, are you having issues installing other software? do you have virus protection on your machine?

The software does put an uninstall option, but does this at the end, so if it crashes this would not have been installed.

Sorry you have had these issues with this software.

Wozza

#12 closed

closed

• New Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:02 AM

WinXP, no anti-virus software, no problems installing other progs, not running from the zip file.

#13 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:53 AM

FW........as you have no anti-virus software i suggest you get some, there are plenty of freebies on the internet.....could be that you have a virus already causing the problems that you suggest are cause by the Fruit-Emu download, if you see how many time's it has been downloaded already this is the first time this problem has arisen---so i'd start 'closer-to-home'!!

#14 closed

closed

• New Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:31 PM

A virus? A virus whose sole effect is to prevent the installation of one freeware program? Yeah, right.

There evidently HAVE been problems for other people, there are some right here in this thread. But most people wouldn't bother reporting faults, they'd just bin the program and forget about it.

#15 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 04:27 AM

nice person you really hu?.........people try to help and this is the reply.......suppose the user name speaks for itself really. Bottom line mate it IS your P.C. thats the problem, or something you have installed. My comment about anti-virus sortware was a positive one and if you haven't got one I would also suggest a good firewall. If (that's IF)it was a virus or something....then NO I did NOT say it would affect this one program only, they work in weird ways and can affect other things without you knowing.

I presume you looked here too?
http://www.fruit-emu...rticles&secid=1

#16 Jez_Shaw

Jez_Shaw

• New Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 12:04 PM

... But most people wouldn't bother reporting faults, they'd just bin the program and forget about it.

This guy obviously does not understand the FME scene. Most users who were having difficulty with this software would contact us and give a sensible and detailed description of the problem in an effort to get this sorted, and not just 'bin' it. Let's face it, it's the only decent software available. The programmers have put a lot of time and effort into this software. What we don't need is some idiot with an offensive user name ranting and raving with obviously no idea what he is doing (I mean accessing the net without virus & firewall protction - what a dork :lol: ).

Wozza - why not just strike him off!

#17 closed

closed

• New Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:11 AM

Sheesh, what an attitude. I wasn't abusive, just pointed out, like several others before me, that the program didn't install for me. And the fact is that people DON'T usually bother reporting faults in free software - trust me, I know. The thing that troubled me was the resemblance to a PC World support line - "Anything we don't know how to fix, just blame it on a virus", never mind that a virus is a ridiculous explanation for this particular problem. (Despite the world and his dog's paranoia about viruses, I've had exactly one in ten years of extremely extensive and net-heavy PC use. Anti-virus programs are nothing but a giant scam, common sense and a half-decent firewall are more than enough protection for anyone.)

FMEIW may well be a fantastic program, clearly I'll never know. But for something designed to help newbies, it shows a very poor understanding of design. Stuff in the registry, unadvertised and un-needed net access, and crashing doing something as simple as trying to install a font (which is unnecessary anyway) - that's a sure recipe to frighten the life out of a newbie. I tried pointing that out in a helpful way, and now I've got people lining up to insult me. Yeah, way to encourage novices.

(My username, incidentally, was simply a result of irritation at having had to register for about 16,000 different f*****g FME forums over the last couple of years just to access simple downloads. My username on the Hovel is "if*****ghateregistering". Don't take it so personally.)

#18 Pgamblin

Pgamblin

Old but still not as old as Ady

• Regulars
  • 1382 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:55 AM

FW,

Did you say you didnt have an antivirus installed ? You also use xp and have access to the internet...

I've been there and my system became so unstable i decided to download norton antivirus just to check the machine and i found over 100 trojans alone... It might be worth getting your machine checked over with a virus scanner because not only will the Fmeiw be causing you problems there could be a lot more deep down.

You can download a free 15 day full version of nav here .http://nct.symantecs...ll/0001.105#nav all that is required is to type in your email address and they will send you an email with a link to download the software.

As for mysterious entries in the windows registry you could do a search through it for fmeiw or fruit-emu and see what is returned.

Just a piece of advice now and its probably too late but its worth taking a backup of your system registry before you install any new software even if it is tried and tested just in case there is some other software on your machine which conflicts with it...

Hope this helps

Paul :lol: :lol:
N/A

#19 closed

closed

• New Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 08:39 AM

I checked. To my total lack of surprise, I have no viruses.

As for mysterious entries in the windows registry you could do a search through it

Let's just re-iterate my point: newbies. "Search the registry"? You might as well tell a newbie to translate Dr Zhivago into Serbo-Croat.

#20 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:48 AM

OK so no viruses, how about trojans?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users