20 replies to this topic

#1 mrgspot

mrgspot

Fancy It Ladies, Oh Yeah

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:34 PM

I have had HD for nearlly a year now. By now I was expecting alot more from SKY. BBC HD have had the best line up by far.

Lets Talk HD Guys

G
Posted Image

---------------------------------------------------

"Yippee Ki Ya Kimasabi"..

#2 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

I've had a Hard Drive since 1992 damn nice it is too never had one for the BBC I remember them being called Winchester disks tho.

#3 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:39 PM

Agreed. Sky have been disappointing - when I go to Sky HD, I expect to see programs in HD. Half of it isn't - you can tell which is by pressing the 'i' button on your remote, and if it doesn't say HD in the info bar, it isn't.

BBC show some interesting bits and pieces in HD, but I'm sure they must be filming far more in HD than they are currently showing. No idea when a 'full service' is going to go live.

I think the last thing I watched in HD was the FA Cup Final on BBC-HD, it was quite good looking :)
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#4 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

will get it when it comes down in price.

too pricy for the amount of hd progs avaliable.

baz

#5 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:59 PM

I saw a HD footy game at a friends....TBH I can't say it is at all better than normal, all the colours are in blocks, yellow and white just mix together...What's all the fuss about!

This is a site for EMULATION purposes of older machines. Not playing strategies.
If you are more interested in playing modern machines,
visit Jackpottyforums

(DOND is around now on this site..... How long was this sig out of date...!)

#6 Jimmy_mac

Jimmy_mac

Court Jester

• Regulars
  • 1649 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:59 PM

just running a VGA cable from my PC to my HD tv at the moment, can watch any lovely HD stuff I can get my hands on with that for now :)

#7 mrmystery83

mrmystery83

Ho, Ho, Ho Merry Xmas!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:03 PM

My bro has just got a PS3 on a HD t.v. Not seen it running yet but he said it's brill. I'd probably just use mine for mostly playing games on. It's still kind of in the early days yet and a lot of people haven't got it yet. Probably why not a lot gets broadcast in it.
Ey Up!

More vids to be added soon:
www.youtube.com/mrmystery83

"I don't care if the fans rip the shirt from my back. They put it there"

-Elvis

#8 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:36 PM

i use my xbox 360 on the hd tv and its awesome.

baz

#9 mrgspot

mrgspot

Fancy It Ladies, Oh Yeah

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

I saw a HD footy game at a friends....TBH I can't say it is at all better than normal, all the colours are in blocks, yellow and white just mix together...What's all the fuss about!

have to disagree there mate, the footie does look very good indeed. apart from that and the BBC HD. green green grass- marlenes tits look so much better in HD. the other stuff is pants
Posted Image

#10 duplu

duplu

Previous Owner

• Regulars
  • 2857 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

I find myself watching Discovery HD alot and the movies channels. I've watched Sky HD about once because as Ben says most of the progs aren't HD.

Discovery is just brilliant in 1080i, I actually find myself getting up early on Saturday to watch Austin Stevens:Snakemaster, how sad is that! If the baby gets me up at 6am then I'm watching Sunrise HD.

I recently part exchanged my Xbox 360 for a PS3 and Ice Age 2 on Blu-ray in glorius 1080p on my 46" LCD is just heaven.

Incidently I do not believe that one's penis is indirectly proportional to the size of one's flat screen. ;)

xeepi_logo_email.png

#11 duplu

duplu

Previous Owner

• Regulars
  • 2857 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:55 PM

I would suggest your friend's TV is either not HD or is shit! In HD you can practically make out blades of grass on the footie whereas SD pictures are just a blur.

xeepi_logo_email.png

#12 Dr DX

Dr DX

Daddy To A Little Angel

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:59 PM

hd is very good and its great having a widescreen hd display on my laptop :D great for photoshop etc
Women are #@#@#@#s....

#13 Pgamblin

Pgamblin

Old but still not as old as Ady

• Regulars
  • 1382 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:46 AM

Incidently I do not believe that one's penis is indirectly proportional to the size of one's flat screen. ;)

Ahh........

I just got me one of these Pioneer Electronics - PDP-507XD 50 Plasma TV - PDP507XD - Details

Not sure if i follow the same statement though :p

#14 skegman0

skegman0

• New Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:13 PM

hi everybody i do have hd ready tv for my ps3 and 360 in my room. it is brill for games that is on both ps3 and 360. when it comes to hd programs on sky and BBC hd ready i will hang on to my wide screen tv for a couple of years so i can get a bigger screen resolution for a good price. they are stating to come down in price. hd tv, i think least 32 inch hd tv is suitable but also it depends how big the room is for the hd tv also don't get talked in spending stupid money for hd tv, if you shop around you can get a good tv for what you want it for. also i am a member of WHICH and they say just hang on for the price dropping for hd tv it.
;)

#15 rick70

rick70

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

ps3 is brilliant with HD but not enough films / sky channels available yet. Better off waiting for price to come down!

#16 mrgspot

mrgspot

Fancy It Ladies, Oh Yeah

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:30 PM

hi everybody i do have hd ready tv for my ps3 and 360 in my room. it is brill for games that is on both ps3 and 360. when it comes to hd programs on sky and BBC hd ready i will hang on to my wide screen tv for a couple of years so i can get a bigger screen resolution for a good price. they are stating to come down in price. hd tv, i think least 32 inch hd tv is suitable but also it depends how big the room is for the hd tv also don't get talked in spending stupid money for hd tv, if you shop around you can get a good tv for what you want it for. also i am a member of WHICH and they say just hang on for the price dropping for hd tv it.

I agree the 360 looks stunning, I have one running on my phillips 37 inch. I cant really fault the HD picture through Sky and BBC, my only grumble is the content and channel selections, why the f*** choose Arts, Discovery and History to stage HD, why not More Sport, More SKY One HD and More of the new series stuff.
Posted Image

#17 Bandits

Bandits

• Regulars
  • 1124 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

I like my self built high def pc and monitor!

#18 Jimmy_mac

Jimmy_mac

Court Jester

• Regulars
  • 1649 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:26 PM

Gotta say this streaming from the PC lark is a winner.

Whilst people here talk about buying a 360 or whatever, I simply picked up a £20 VGA cable....job done!

Just been watching some planet earth eps and it looks fantastic. On the way is Dune in Hi def which should be good.

High Definition for £20...Bargain i tell ya!

#19 Zoltar

Zoltar

Former Fat Bastard.....

• Gold Supporters
  • 1810 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:33 AM

Sky's method of compression, and how they overload each transponder with more and more channels, the quality of their HD transmissions is less than the quality of none HD SKY ONE when Sky first went digital.

Simple mathematics I'm affraid.

No1. Sky goes digital. The amount of channels is low compared to today. Less channels across each transponder means more data can be sent for that single channel so compression is quite low. Remember how crystal clear Sky was when it first went digital? It was clearer than todays HD transmissions.

No2. As sky add more and more channels, all these +1 channels and 3 extra ITV's ect..., bare in mind that the satallites have a limited amount of resources for broadcast. It works like broadband bandwidth. 1 person on a single pipe gets teriffic speeds. 40 people on that same single pipe and the bandwidth has to be shared and speeds go down. Remember, 80 transponders carrying 80 channels means no compression is needed. Thats a ratio of 1/1. But when you have 320 channels over those same 80 transponders, a ratio of 4/1, then you need 75% compression to get those 4 channels on that single transponder. I've been made aware that Sky's HD channels get some leniency. But they still have 50% compression meaning plenty of small detail is lost. Sure, it's nice and clear but it's not authentic HD.

High Definition television is indeed the future. The next big thing. But Sky's HD isn't true HD. It never has been. As mentioned earlier, when Sky went digital and had a lower amount of channels, compression wasn't needed for all channels. So the small details lost in compression was still intact when viewed. Hence my claim that todays HD images are of less quality than Sky One's images on Sky Digitals launch date.

So in reality, there still isn't any true HD transmissions being broadcast for the UK.

#20 mrgspot

mrgspot

Fancy It Ladies, Oh Yeah

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:33 AM

Sky's method of compression, and how they overload each transponder with more and more channels, the quality of their HD transmissions is less than the quality of none HD SKY ONE when Sky first went digital.

Simple mathematics I'm affraid.

No1. Sky goes digital. The amount of channels is low compared to today. Less channels across each transponder means more data can be sent for that single channel so compression is quite low. Remember how crystal clear Sky was when it first went digital? It was clearer than todays HD transmissions.

No2. As sky add more and more channels, all these +1 channels and 3 extra ITV's ect..., bare in mind that the satallites have a limited amount of resources for broadcast. It works like broadband bandwidth. 1 person on a single pipe gets teriffic speeds. 40 people on that same single pipe and the bandwidth has to be shared and speeds go down. Remember, 80 transponders carrying 80 channels means no compression is needed. Thats a ratio of 1/1. But when you have 320 channels over those same 80 transponders, a ratio of 4/1, then you need 75% compression to get those 4 channels on that single transponder. I've been made aware that Sky's HD channels get some leniency. But they still have 50% compression meaning plenty of small detail is lost. Sure, it's nice and clear but it's not authentic HD.

High Definition television is indeed the future. The next big thing. But Sky's HD isn't true HD. It never has been. As mentioned earlier, when Sky went digital and had a lower amount of channels, compression wasn't needed for all channels. So the small details lost in compression was still intact when viewed. Hence my claim that todays HD images are of less quality than Sky One's images on Sky Digitals launch date.

So in reality, there still isn't any true HD transmissions being broadcast for the UK.

Nice summarised explanation there mate, Do me a favour and copy and paste this extract and send it to the following email address. let me know if you get a reply, it should be entertaining

james.murdoch@bskyb.com

G
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users