edwardb's Content

There have been 131 items by edwardb (Search limited from 03-May 14)

Sort by                Order  

#264400 JACKPOT PARTY is no more - and a tragedy is in its place!

Posted by edwardb on 03 March 2014 - 02:27 PM in Real Fruit Machines

I was player #1 on JPP back when it started, and they used to give me loads of free stuff. Then they found out I worked in the biz and it all stopped. Oh well. Anyway, you can continue to play the games online at Sky Vegas and other places, but I'm afraid the party is over.

Ah well. It was good whilst it lasted. I made a few hundred out of them, at least!

#299811 Foreign EPOCH games, anyone?

Posted by edwardb on 26 January 2017 - 09:39 AM in General FME Discussion

Hi Folks

I haven't been on these forums for years, but some of the old timers might remember me.

I was a programmer at Mazooma and latterly Global Games before heading off on my own, and doing various things. Still very much in the industry but in the online side now.

I coded pretty much every foreign AWP game they did. Since all these machines are long outlawed and probably rusting in a shed somewhere in eastern Europe, would anyone like to have a go at making an emulation of some?

I found the ROMs and original source code on a CD whilst cleaning out my house recently, and can probably get a decent scan of the original artwork.

Also, for reference, I am working (very slowly!!) on writing a book about my time in the industry, stories about some of the characters, the games, how they're developed, how compensation/control of the games work. Hopefully accessible and understandable to everyone who's ever played a fruit machine, and full of funny stories. It's titled "Give It A Spin: Tales from the UK fruit machine industry 1996 - 2010". Will probably self-publish but it's only half finished.

Cheers

Ed

#299820 Foreign EPOCH games, anyone?

Posted by edwardb on 26 January 2017 - 11:48 AM in General FME Discussion

OK. They're Hungarian games, quite unique shall we say but still quite AWP style. 

Dutch games - I did a couple at Mazooma - total nightmare. How anyone enjoyed playing those is beyond me, but that's what the regulations of the day did to gaming.

#305874 Global Beavers

Posted by edwardb on 04 July 2017 - 02:35 PM in Real Fruit Machines

@Mavroz

I worked there as a developer from 2002 to 2007. Like most Global games from those days, we just had our tongues firmly in our cheeks. Those machines were some of the first Global AWPs to get "approved" by the big breweries for injection into their estates (i.e. they buy a load of machines).

Up until then, we had some problems with games like Jigging in the Rigging and other "suggestive" titles.....breweries wouldn't touch them. So Beaver was just a way to continue that whilst making games that appealed to the pub market.

They were very successful indeed. We kept the Maygay factory VERY busy when their own games of that era were a bag of s*ite....

#305875 Real Fruit Machines - Time Limited Deathtraps ?

Posted by edwardb on 04 July 2017 - 03:05 PM in Real Fruit Machines

So, to give you a bit of industry info on this - the long and short of it is this:

We used to design and manufacture new AWPs, and give 25 of them (free of charge) to pub companies to test. Great. That's a ~£80k investment once you factor in salaries, overheads and of course, building and transporting the machines.

If your game took enough money, the pub company would buy between 400 and 2000 machines. 

Now suppose your machine didn't do very well, which could be for any number of reasons - not always because it's a bad game. We had pubs with test machines in catch fire (closed = no money!), machines get smashed up, stolen (we once got called by the police to a "colourful object in a farmers field"), covered in beer or fag ash etc.....

You don't get a second chance. If your machine fails test, that's it. Done. Someone else's game goes on test and the whole world moves on.

Prior to the 2005 Gambling Act, you weren't allowed to profit share, so the pub company took all the profits from the machine - you as the manufacturer got £0. So you've burnt £80k and got nothing but a pile of machines, often with bits missing (or smashed) and no prospect of any sales of this game.

How many of you think this is a great business model? That only has to happen a few times (and remember ~1 in 4 machines is a "hit") and you're in financial dire straits. I lost count the number of times Maygay, JPM and others cut jobs, did 2 day weeks in the factory, etc, to keep the lights on, hoping to have another hit game. Bell Fruit in the mid 90s almost went pop I don't know how many times - only their Dutch games kept them afloat.

OK. So on to dongles. 

Dongles smooth that curve (read: cliff face) of revenue when a game is launched. Instead of selling machines, they are now leased or given, with an agreement to share the profits. To control the use of the machine, a dongle obviously stops anyone operating the machine - and making money - when the manufacturer isn't getting a cut.

That is a much fairer way for the people who actually take the risk and spend the money to develop the game.

I agree for the 2nd hand "home" market they are a problem, but so many jobs were lost and companies hitting the wall because of the insane business model that had developed over the decades.

Imagine going to your local Ford garage, being given a car to test drive - crashing it, writing it off and then just returning it and say "sorry mate, don't really like it". Then come back the next day and take another car out. Repeat that again and again. That's how the business was - totally crazy.

These days with server-based gaming developers can monitor the revenue and get their %. Much better.

So, all I will say is, try and see why it happened. Maybe someone will crack/make a new dongle that has unlimited time.

Don't get me started on arcade owners. They buy 1 machine and then ring up 5 years later asking for a software update....errr...NO. 

Tsk!!

#305877 Global Beavers

Posted by edwardb on 04 July 2017 - 03:26 PM in Real Fruit Machines

I still have a CD with the entire Global sound library on. How we got away with most of that stuff I do not know..........

#305879 Global Beavers

Posted by edwardb on 04 July 2017 - 03:57 PM in Real Fruit Machines

Will do. I think they all had the sound ROM files in too...

#305881 Flyers, flyers and more flyers

Posted by edwardb on 04 July 2017 - 04:08 PM in General FME Discussion

Hi All

I have started uploading small versions of the zillions of flyers I have from 20 years in the industry. There are a lot of crap ones and loads of foreign AWP machines (since that's what I used to code, mainly).

I started a gallery (edwardb machine flyers) but not sure if this is the right place? If anyone wants a high res scan of a flyer then let me know.

Some right classics in there....and some games that flopped miserably!

#305882 Flyers, flyers and more flyers

Posted by edwardb on 04 July 2017 - 04:14 PM in General FME Discussion

..not to mention some interesting things. Talking Barcrest, anyone?

#305936 Global Beavers

Posted by edwardb on 05 July 2017 - 07:32 AM in Real Fruit Machines

This could be gold dust to the scene. Are we missing many sound roms from global? Many many thanks for sharing this resource with the rest of us. I'm sure many will appreciate it

OK found them - where do you want them?

Also, I will do some checking, as the analogue machine market is dead and buried in the UK (with a few exceptions), if I can release source code and stuff for actual games then I will. No point keeping it anymore, would be good for the emu scene to see how a real machine was coded.

I'm happy to release the full code for a few overseas AWPs I wrote, since I own it all, which I'll do when I dig out my backups from years ago.

I keep thinking of doing a Q&A session or something for people to ask questions. I am slowly working on a book called "Give It A Spin: Tales from the UK Fruit Machine industry" which is starting to take shape. Got a mate whose a publisher to edit it for me, but it is looking good. Lots of funny stories about how games came to be made, crazy business tales (threatened with a gun at a Russian airport...) and a lot more besides....

#305938 Global Beavers

Posted by edwardb on 05 July 2017 - 08:07 AM in Real Fruit Machines

Hmm OK, CD 1 zipped is 450mb and CD 2 about 250mb.....

#305992 Global Beavers

Posted by edwardb on 06 July 2017 - 12:23 PM in Real Fruit Machines

Global was all about Carry On humour. Before we started getting machines in the Maygay cabinets, we did rebuilds and the arcade owners loved the style of games (and the price..) and so did very well indeed. I think Spotted Dick was the biggest seller until Beaver came along.

All of the vocals on games were done by staff, one of the main developers (Mark) did most of the male vocals, and the receptionist/admin staff did the female ones. Good times. I still can't believe we got away with it all.

My favourite has to be from Jigging in the Rigging - "we've lost some seamen" ! 

#305993 Global Beavers

Posted by edwardb on 06 July 2017 - 12:43 PM in Real Fruit Machines

I've stripped out WAVs leaving just the ROM files and a few other bits - much more manageable! Still 58mb...

https://we.tl/YdJyCrU3pw

Expires after a week, let me know if you need it again

#305996 Global Beavers

Posted by edwardb on 06 July 2017 - 01:18 PM in Real Fruit Machines

Read my new post in a few mins!

#305997 Fruit Machines Inside Out: Compensation

Posted by edwardb on 06 July 2017 - 01:20 PM in Real Fruit Machines

Hi All

Decided to write a some articles about how real fruit machines work. In today's lesson, how fruit machines would control themselves, i.e. how decisions are made to pay a prize (or not).

BFG/Mazooma called them "compensators", Barcrest "stablisers", Ace/JPM "reflexes", Global "buckets" and 101 other permutations of the name. They all mean the same thing; essentially an amount of virtual money held in memory that the game uses to decide how much money we can give back to the player.

As I learned this stuff at the University of Mazooma, I called them "compensators", and that's what I'll use for this post.

How they work:

A game has a number of compensators, decided by the developer and/or mathematician responsible for the game.

Each game, we put the target % of the game into a compensator. So if the game is set to 80% payout, and you're on £1 a game, 80p goes into the compensator, and the other 20p is forgotten about.

A compensator is viewed from the player's perspective, that is, if the compensator is negative (hereafter referred to as -ve and positive as +ve) then the machine owes "the player" money - it has "underpaid". If the compensator is positive, the player owes the machine money - it has "overpaid".

As a side note, Barcrest worked the opposite way (from the machine's point of view - +ve being underpaid, -ve as overpaid).

We divide the compensator into "levels". The size of each level depends on various factors, again usually determined by the developer/maths person.

Let's see an example:
                                      |
          0------1------2------3------4------5------6 Compensator Level
                                      |
+2500  +1000  +500     0    -500   -1000  -2500

So Level 3 is our midpoint - the compensator has ZERO money in it. But that doesn't mean you won't win. Quite the opposite.

Now we play some games, we stick £10 in and we win nothing. Now our compensator is -£8 (we took 80% of our stake, remember, the other £2 has evaporated!), we are there now in level 4 (between -£5 and £10). 

But how do we decide if we're going to win? Easy. We use a chance table! 

Let's see those same levels, but this time we're going to assign a % chance of something happening:

£2 nudge win chance:
                                      |
          0------1------2------3------4------5------6 Compensator Level
                                      |
            1      3      8      15     35     60     80 (% chance of winning)

As you can see, the chance of getting a win (or maybe of getting the feature) is adjusted depending on the level of the compensator.

Chance tables controlled almost every aspect of the game; the likelihood of getting nudges (losing or otherwise), the likelihood of holds, features, even to the point of choosing which music to play (the more money we have, maybe we play a more "intense" bit of music?).

When a win is given, assuming the player collects the win, we remove that money - £2 in this case - from the compensator (after which is still in level 4, now) and carry on. If they didn't collect the win (gambled, and lost) then we don't do anything - the machine still needs to get rid of that money at some point. When a compensator is at zero, the machine should be bang on payout %.

The money in a compensator has no relevence to the physical amount of money present in a machine - so if the hopper is full or empty makes zero difference to how likely you are to win (or not). So those urban legends about "the machine is backing" (i.e. coins going to cashbox) and therefore due to payout are nonsense, but we all had a good laugh about it!

Most AWPs, certainly ones we did, had 1 main compensator for general gameplay, and 1 for big wins. We would then divide the 80% into the two compensators, maybe 80% of 80% (are you following?) to main, and 20% to reserve. Once reserve compen had reached our target value, transfer the whole lot to main comp (which then shoots up to level 6 - super generous!) and get rid of it. Maybe set a flag to say "big win time" and force a red mode or jackpot repeater.

Believe it or not, often, the more simple the game (lo-tech/Bar-X) the more compensators there were. From memory, some of our lo-techs had 20+ compensators, all receiving a small % of the stake each game, and then use to pay for things happening in the game (multiple streaks, hopper-emptying wins, etc).

Hope that's useful to some - let me know of any questions!

:)

What would you like to know about next?

#305999 Fruit Machines Inside Out: Compensation

Posted by edwardb on 06 July 2017 - 01:25 PM in Real Fruit Machines

Oh I should have said - most games had a bell curve, that is, the game spent the majority of its life in levels 2, 3 and 4. Rarely getting to 0/1/5/6 as these were the extremities and only happened when someone was very lucky or you had someone forcing the machine to high levels.

#306083 Fruit Machines Inside Out: Compensation

Posted by edwardb on 08 July 2017 - 08:26 AM in Real Fruit Machines

Hi All

Answers to your questions:

ritdav: "That was really interesting.First question coming up.Emptiers were they mainly badly written code or were they always deliberate.Reading the above they would have to be beyond the compensators to work .What were the legendry ones and were people fired over them.If you can't talk too much about them thats fair enough."

Almost always mistakes. Never intentional apart from one guy at Ace who decide to try and make a few quid by putting an emptier in. He got caught in a pub, fired and prosecuted. I think he got 2 years for fraud. That was on an old SP-Ace club machine.

Were people fired - generally no, all software has bugs and fruit machines are no exception. The famous ones, like Donkey Kong, were just oversights (nudge debugging code left in by mistake).

We had an emptier on one of our games, where changing stake should have cancelled holds, but if you were quick enough you could hammer the holds and change stake at the same time. Oops!

Simple fix.

When you get a report of an emptier, all hell breaks loose. I did 18+ hr days just playing the game, trying to work out what was going on based on (generally useless) info from the site. You also pore over the code and look for anything awry.

Guitar: "An actual question for you though, where do you get the random values from on a machine with no RNG fitted?"

Good question! Believe it or not this was on JPM's standard interview question for software engineers. So we had a mixed prime congruential RNG but I suspect most people now use a mersenne-twister RNG. This was in the core libraries for games so we used that. But to answer your question; if for some obscure reason you had no RNG, then you write one, or you use inputs to generate random numbers, maybe timers of button presses, or system timers. I can't think of any library I've ever see that didn't have an RNG though. They're pretty fundamental to gambling!

evo1: "On an offtopic question when you played with tokens did the machine play on a different cycle/% cause again never really got any return on token play"

Yes, token payouts were typically in the 50% to 60% region. 

fuzion: "A lot of people I used to play with referred to compensators as pots, even a lo-tech game like Golden Game had quite a lot of separate pots to play around with."

Yes indeed - those lo-techs had about 20 compensators. My first ever bit of fruit machine code (aged 17!) was doing the attract mode for Golden Oldie. Attracts were written in a sub-language to make them quicker when writing lamp sequences (all done by hand...time consuming!). If you watch the "ripple" on the button lamps, you can see that I missed out the Start button further on in the sequence. That was also in every other Mazooma lo-tech - makes me laugh when I see them in a seaside arcade even now!

wizard: "I think a lot of the emptiers arose due to a "Free Win", my understanding of this is that a Free Win didn't update the compensators when it should have done, leaving the game in the same happy state."

Correct - the win wasn't removed from the comps, or in some cases the win was added to the bank, and then some visuals happen, before the win is removed from the comp. So, obviously if you switch the power off during those bank pay visuals, the win never got taken from the comp and hence a "free win". We never had this problem as the line of code that adds the money to the bank is always immediately after the win has been removed from the comps, and also we separated logic and visuals entirely. You'd be amazed the number of companies that didn't - and were always the ones with problems.

fruitman69: "Not really, anti force code normally will monitor certain variables, if forcing is detected then it would set a flag"

Actually, in my experience, what people termed anti-force code actually wasn't. It was anti-stats testing code! Manufacturers used to buy other manufacturers machines and play them, log every spin, and work out what the game was doing. I remember visiting Maygay in 1996 and seeing a Barcrest 10 out of 10 being stats played. So what everyone did, was monitor the last, say 200 coins to go in - if they were all £1 coins then you mangle how the game plays. Still hits % but plays differently. Obviously in a pub you'd get other coins inserted, so this would never happen.

wayne123: "Thanks for the info - love to read how the fruit machines have ripped people off - strange question but is it possible to look at an actual programme for a fruit machine ?"

Yes, I will be releasing the code for a game I wrote soon (when I can find the backups, probably in my attic!). It's a Hungarian AWP but still very similar to a UK game (dual lapper board, etc).

shaun2097: "also, a while back some red gaming fruit machines used to put the first £3 or £4 you inserted stright to the bottom cash box"

Correct! We spotted this whilst stats playing one in the office one day. We thought like you did - was just to suggest to the players the machine was "backing". Found no evidence of anything else.

#306084 Fruit Machines Inside Out: Compensation

Posted by edwardb on 08 July 2017 - 08:29 AM in Real Fruit Machines

I should add, on emptiers, they are a pain not because of the money lost which was usually negligible, but because in those days you had to burn hundreds or thousands of EPROMs (at a few quid a pop, the BFG roms were £8 each at one point) and then drive around site to site and replace them - this didn't go down well with the pub company.

An update could easily cost £30k+ to correct.

#306092 Fruit Machines Inside Out: Compensation

Posted by edwardb on 08 July 2017 - 03:52 PM in Real Fruit Machines

Emptiers, I can categorically state from my 20 years in the industry, are absolutely not done on purpose. As I have posted elsewhere, developing and testing a new game costs north of £80k. You get 2000 sales of a popular game, and you get a fault that needs fixing, then you're on the hook for another £30k or in some cases the pub company just sends the machines back and wants a credit note. 

Boom. You've burnt over £100k in dev costs, and worst case when machines get returned, you can easily see a few million quid evaporate. That's the hard truth of it.

I've been on the receiving end of such problems and the fall out for the business is immense - and these days, with the Gambling Commission, it is even worse (and woe betide you if your game underpays, i.e. is consistently below advertised RTP%). Then you really are in BIG trouble - investigations, hearings, fines and possibly prison. All of which are a positive, in my view, as it keeps people honest.

If this happens in a regulated market where every line of source code is commented and often reviewed by a government appointed lab - it gets very messy and laywers get involved. Not fun.

Anyway, the industry has always been self policing but we, as a general rule, would always report bugs to other manufacturers, and they to us. It's a small world and people move between companies like you won't believe. No point burning bridges.

@Guitar, we used a proper RNG that was certified for use in many regulated markets like Holland. The RNG was bomb proof. C++ rand() is awful and will fail the standard RNG diehard tests.

#306194 Fruit Machines Inside Out: Compensation

Posted by edwardb on 11 July 2017 - 11:29 AM in Real Fruit Machines

Just to clear up on the emptiers deliberate or not; I've never come across this, and none of my colleagues have either, as quite simply, you will be prosecuted for fraud (rightly so) and you can forget getting a job, let alone in gaming, ever again.

As I said above, one guy from Ace did it and got 2 years at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

wayne123: "Thanks for your response, one more question - if you have a games idea / concept idea for a fruit machine how do you go about it?"

I'll pick this up on another topic; I'm writing the next one now. Will talk over how a game goes from a bit of paper (or idea in a kebab shop/shower/etc, usually) to a production machine, with some examples.

#306200 Fruit Machines Inside Out: Compensation

Posted by edwardb on 11 July 2017 - 01:41 PM in Real Fruit Machines

Vortex! I designed a game when the same name back at Mazooma - didn't go anywhere. There's a funny thing about space themes in gaming; "putting your money in a black hole". Same as games that are overly green......they never seemed to be popular.

#306205 Fruit Machines Inside Out: Compensation

Posted by edwardb on 11 July 2017 - 03:04 PM in Real Fruit Machines

Old friend of mine come up with idea for beau peepfor ace, got free machine and 15%.
Then they went on to make 2nd one without him.

Beau Peep! My god we used to have one in the chippy near my old school. What a bag of shite!

and yes, we got ideas sent in - none ever got made for legal reasons, mainly. That's how I got my break, designed an X-Files (remember that?) game, sent it to Maygay, went nowhere but got a tour of the factory aged 14 and kept in touch with a few people. Left school, went to college, blagged a job at Mazooma and the rest is history....

#306206 Fruit Machines Inside Out: Design & Development

Posted by edwardb on 11 July 2017 - 03:18 PM in Real Fruit Machines

Hi All

Next instalment of FMIO, I will be talking about how you design a game and how it gets to production. Ready for a mammoth read?

1. Ideas

Well, everyone has ideas in this business, but it is usually a game designer (which wasn't an actual job title save for Barcrest's shrouded-in-secrecy MMG team) or developer who came up with the game. Most developers were players, in Mazooma certainly, and this showed in the games and how they played. I always felt this to be a good thing!

There is no set process, you have an idea, write it down and then when a new game is needed, out comes the notebook etc. I would always sketch out my ideas and make
sure they worked in my head.

What has/hasn't done well recently? What did the other companies release? Why did game X work and a similar game not? What new stuff can we do that won't confuse people?
The best "new" concepts were a 5% move on from another game.

So we've got a concept. Let's kick it off!

2. Design

So you have an idea and need to get it fleshed out. You write a game specification that explains how the game works, the layout of the board or trail, and
anything that might not be obvious. The spec is read by technical and sales people so you need to be sure it has everything you need to get across in plain English.

Have you checked your board layout? Can you reach the game over/mystery square within 12 moves of every other board position in case you need to kick the player out?
Are there any dead ends, i.e. can your game get somewhere where you can't boot the player out, and he can manipulate things?

List and explain every feature game, layout of the mystery/bonus dapple and what each outcome does. Got a cashpot? How does that work? How do you win it?

OK good. So your spec is written, usually 15 pages or so, now let's talk to the other guys and get it rolling.

3. Art

The game designer, developer and artist will all sit around and talk over how they want the game to look. 

The artist generally does a pencil sketch (though nowadays, mostly done on PC) which takes a few days to a week, and has the basic layout and rough character sketches on.
From that, assuming no big changes are needed, the artist will then start on the artwork proper. This can take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks, depending on what's needed.
Detailed characters add a lot of time.

These days, art is done in Photoshop but some still use Freehand.

Once art is finished, everyone looks over it and checks for spelling/grammar mistakes and anything that may be wrong.

Designing artwork is a technical and mechanical challenge. You have "restrictions" which are areas you cannot place a lamp for mechanical reasons,
such as near a hi-lo reel (I think we left a 10mm gap top and bottom) and also near cut-outs for coin/note acceptors etc.

There are areas where reels cannot go for the same reasons, as they would catch on hardware inside the machines. Hence why you cannot have a reel on the
right where your hoppers and coin mech are! Each cabinet would have a restriction drawing made for it, showing where you cannot place lamps or reels. I have one somewhere, I will dig it out.

You need to leave a 3mm "land" between each lamp box as that's the minimum tolerance a vac former can do.

The artist will produce a "PCX" file, basically a technical drawing of where lamps are, and also for printing, other colours of the artwork - called "separations" or just "seps". More below.

4. Prototyping, Glass Printing & Vac Forms

A prototype machine is then created, which is usually a paper print (done on a poster printer) stuck on a thick bit of MDF.
A punch is used to mark where lamps will go, and then holes drilled out. A bit of plastic is stapled to the other side, and lamps inserted.

Remember to remove all burrs and sharp edges!

Someone (usually someone in the cab shop, or other tech person, but I did my own) then designs & documents the wiring harnesses and wires the prototype lamp board.

Wiring is expensive, so you don't want to use more than you need. You generally follow the shortest path from the connector to the lamp.
Once that is done the machine is given to the developer who starts the code.

We now have our bill of materials, we know what it takes and what it costs to make a game, so it can be sent to stores to order parts for production.

Meanwhile, we have to get building the real machines, and that means printing glasses, getting vac forms made and wired up.
In the old days, BFG, Barcrest and Maygay had their own print shop and vacuum forming kit. It all got outsourced in the end.

As an aside, in the old days, the BFM factory used to make kitchen cabinets for MFI. They had all the gear, so why not use it overnight when the factory was quiet?

To print a glass, there are two ways:

1. Screenprinting, which you take the artwork and split into 4 colours (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) and print each colour separately. If you look closely at an older glass
you can see the 4 colours. BFG used to print on perspex which never worked as well as glass - the colours looked duller.

2. Digital printing, essentially inkjet printing on to an adhesive paper which is stuck to glass. Cheaper, more efficient and more flexible.

Spot a mistake on the glass? In the bin they go. Fix and print new ones. Expensive - £40 to £80 a pop for a top glass, £20 for a bottom glass, not to mention staff costs etc.
It did happen. I remember the first Mazooma games hi/lo games had the hi-lo reel window solid red - god knows why. Had to scrap them all. Moving to digital printing saved a lot of cost.

Vac forms; if you did in CDT at school the process is the same. You made a wooden jig (done by a CNC router) and then pull heated plastic over it, remove the air, and
there's your vac form. Simple. £15 or so for each unit.

Wiring the vacs; a job I hated. We had a rig where you put the last black over a lightbox, and then the vac on top, and a pedal would step through each lamp in sequence
and you followed it with a wire. Tedious but that's how it was done. You then plugged in the loom and checked for bad connections, missed lamps, etc.

You now have a glass and wired vacs, and these can go to the factory for a hand-built number of machines for use in dev (later on) and then testing.

4. Code

The prototype machine is handed over to the developer, who will write the code. Sits next to your desk.

All machines start from the the previous game - to ensure the latest versions of the libraries are used, and any bug fixes are also in.

The developer normally starts by getting lamps configured; hopefully (though not always) a lot of lamps are the same as a previous game.
Entering upto 256 lamps as #define LP_NUDGE_1 (LP_DATA_1|LP_STROBE7) gets very tedious....

Once lamps are defined, we can make tables (arrays) of lamps to make control much easier. Say you had 12 lamps for your nudge pot, you'd create
a table e.g. nudgePotTable[] = { LP_NUDGE_1, LP_NUDGE_2.....} and then with one line of code, AllLampsOff(nudgePotTable), switch them all off.
Easier than doing all lamps individually...

Once your inputs and outputs are done, you've entered your reel strip layouts and reel mech types (libraries make this easy), you can then move
to start coding the game properly.

As you've started from a previous game, if it's the same style of game (a board game, lets say) then you define your board squares, and call
functions to action the square (e.g. AddToCashPot(100) or AddToNudgePot(1) etc). 

Before about 2000, most dev and debugging was done on the machine. We then ported the entire software to PC and have a fast play simulator where
you can use Visual Studio to debug the code before it ever reaches a machine. Logic and visuals are entirely separate for the most part; the visuals
just show (on lamps, alpha or screen) what the logic has already decided what will happen.

The obvious exception to this is skill stops, where you watch for a button press and then action that accordingly (sometimes "rolling off" if the player stopped on something
we didn't want them to have!).

This is a very simplified version of what is a long process, coding a game could take 12 weeks until it was ready for testing. You have to write any new feature, but
if you want a Money Belt, and you've done one before, you go and take that rather than code from scratch.

Most games were just bolting pre-existing bits of code together, in truth.

When you want to test your code on the machine, you download via an EPROM emulator. These are boxes of very fast access RAM, connected to the USB (or parallel port!) of a PC
and you use a utility to download your BIN file to the machine. The emulator usually had a hardware reset line, connected to a pin on the processor, which pulled the CPU
into reset whilst the code downloaded. Not doing so resulted in the machine trying to boot every second or so, and failing, and you got this awful clicking noise every time.

Then the machine boots up as normal, and you use either the alpha or the serial port to debug what's going on. A lot of times we put pauses in so we can 
check what's going on (such as when calculating the win from nudges) before letting the machine continue.

Nudges are interesting, actually, as they (especially for multi line games) need quite a bit of computational power. I remember coding a game on Scorp 4 which had 3x 24 symbols
on the reels, and 5 lines with wild symbols. I got it to calculate the best win with 24 nudges once. It took the poor 16mhz processor a whole 8 minutes :)
Needless to say, we found another way - pre-calculated look up tables of wins from your current reel position.

So assuming your game is finished, coded, balanced (i.e it plays right and your payout % is fine) then it's off to test...

5. Testing

Though you test your code, there is no substitute for a fresh pair of eyes.

Game testers (I started as one) will sit and play the game both methodically to a script, and "free play" i.e. playing as a real player would,
to find bugs. Some test scripts are simple, i.e. insert £1, check it registered and meters update, etc, and some are much more complex.

Testing takes a good 2 to 3 weeks. Once any bugs are fixed, and the game is ready to go out to the wider world, you "master" a set of EPROMs.
This gives them a part number and also adds security to prevent tampering (checksums tests, etc).

During the end of coding and test phases, 25 or 50 machines are built for primary test; these are given (in the old days) free of charge to a pub company
for test. Machines are sited and weekly figures are generated by the Pub Co and fed back.

You are looking for your game to beat the previous machine sat on that bit of carpet space. This is known as "indexing". So the last machine averaged
£200 a week - that's a 100% index. Your game goes in and does £400 a week, that's a 200% index. That rarely happens, usually if the game is good you'll see a 120% index.
If the game is good, or the pub's been closed, the index is affected.

If the game does a good bit higher than the previous one, the game goes to secondary test with more machines (again, given free..) and the process repeats for another 6/8 weeks.

6. Sales?

Machine fail test? You get them all back - usually in pieces. Big money up in smoke.

Game does well? Time for orders! Big companies would order in lots of 250 or more units. One of my favourite sights was seeing the Mazooma warehouse full
of machines, and a good 100+ with the cab door open looking like a guard of honour, walking down the middle. Awesome stuff.

Lots of machines sold, we can keep the lights on and people's mortgages paid and kids fed. Great.

Now on to the next game............

#306215 Fruit Machines Inside Out: Design & Development

Posted by edwardb on 11 July 2017 - 05:02 PM in Real Fruit Machines

Great article.

Thanks for sharing this side of the business again.

With regards to new machines you made back then, what in your memory would have been the biggest success in terms of - yes that was a great machine ?

Also, from a testing point of view, did you ever build machines up until you were just about to pass out and think - nope - not going to work and kill the whole project.  How far down the chain would it be possible and realistic to have a dud and the manafacture pull the plug ?

Personally my Monopoly machine for the German market. Not only because I got to visit Germany and drink great beer on the company, but because the game was good, lots of clever concepts and hidden cheats. It did well but fruit machines were banned by the Government shortly after.

For UK games I think Roller Coaster, PCB and probably Jewel in the Crown, together with a lot of the mid 90s Barcrest and JON games were milestones for me.

Things went a bit bland until Impulse came about. They made a lot of good games. Phattbloke can have some credit there.

JPM went off the boil mainly because they stuck with Impact for too long. Better hardware would have let them compete with everyone else, games got computationally more intense as multiline games took off.

#306216 Fruit Machines Inside Out: Design & Development

Posted by edwardb on 11 July 2017 - 05:04 PM in Real Fruit Machines

Wayne; honestly you have almost no chance. Try by all means, but you'll struggle. I was 14 when I wrote to Maygay and my youth helped considerably.

You would be better doing it yourself as an app for a phone in my opinion.

It certainly won't make you rich, I can promise you that!