- - - - -

What do you prefer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chris82_*

Guest_chris82_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:44 PM

Ok so this is a bit off of the fruit machines topic!

Disc vs Streaming for movies & Tv

I’m nearing 40 fast and for some reason still prefer movies and tv on disc over streaming.

Although I do use streaming from time to time. Some people think I’m ancient because of this, they might even look at me a bit weird for preferring disc.

Imagine if blockbuster and other rental stores still existed today in larger numbers than before, how good would that be?

A bit like playing the older fruit machines, I do miss going to rent a movie on vhs or dvd on a Friday night! It’s a bit of a shame that this generation won’t be able to experience this.

99% of the time, if I buy a series or movie then it’s on disc.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against advances in technology, look at VHS to DVD or dial up to broadband for example. These advances were good.

I dislike smart devices, not just because I’m a bit of a conspiracy theorist but I think they can make us a bit lazy sometimes, says me typing this on my iPhone but really, was the old ways of doing things really that bad?

Just wondering what you guys prefer?

#2 CharlieRaymondo

CharlieRaymondo

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • 619 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:51 PM

Got shitloads of movies including box sets and series which have been downloaded over the years. I could set up my own USB Busters lol

#3 Guest_chris82_*

Guest_chris82_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:58 PM

That would be cool :-) USB Busters actually sounds like a good idea as most TVs have a USB port, no need for a smart tv :-)

#4 Guest_chris82_*

Guest_chris82_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:01 PM

I got most of my stuff backed up locally as well, don’t really fully trust the cloud or windows 10 quite yet!

#5 thecodfather

thecodfather

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:40 AM

Streaming for me!

I am a massive fan of something called Emby, all the TV and Movies are managed by that allowing me to play them on many different devices.

https://emby.media/

If you have a large media collection, is it well worth it but they do charge a monthly or lifetime sub.

I know what Chris means about the buzz of the weekend trip to Blockbusters looking for something to hire to watch, the issue now is that there is too much choice!

poker

#6 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:36 PM

Streaming for me.

I was a hater of non disc media products such as games,music and video, in the early 2000s,but now I don't use disc media products at all.

I know the argument against streaming, downloading can be cost and not owning something physical but the convenience well out ways that for me.

I suppose if your internet goes down,it inconvenient but no more then if your disc media player breaks.

I have Netflix and Britbox accounts and I don't always watch anything on them for a month but the cost isn't even a round of drinks for 4 in a London pub,so it's still worth it.

#7 Guest_chris82_*

Guest_chris82_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:50 PM

@ thecodfather & wearecity i do see the benefits of streaming and thought i would've shifted over to this by now but still cant part with

physical media.

Sometimes Poundland have got some good blurays in for £2 and dvds for £1. They do also have some rubbish tho! A while back they were doing

movies in steel books but was limited amounts to only some stores and these usually fly out the door.

From time to time i might see a movie or trailer on youtube for something decent thats only usa released, so I end up buying it on disc from amazon.

I might make the shift over to streaming but not fully i think. It is good though to watch something on any device, anywhere... or even skip to another movie...

#8 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:43 PM

I suppose it depends on if you want a collection or not. If you do then where practical hard copies are still the way forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users