55 replies to this topic

#21 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

That board looks to be in extremely good condition. No visible battery corrosion at all!

#22 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

I was really surprised considering the grey dust over everything inside the cabinet. I bought it from a collectors centre and think it had been sitting there for sometime unloved. When I replace the battery and put the board back into the cabinet should I leave the metal cover off the board? Or replace it all back as was? Does the cover increase condensation risk? I'm hoping after replacing the battery it will fire up

#23 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

It would still work with no battery.

Need to check board or psu, check fuses psu.

#24 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

Take another pic just of the bottom of the battery area, the battery pic that has leaked.

#25 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

Take another pic just of the bottom of the battery area, the battery pic that has leaked.

The problem is that blue nicad batteries are a bit of an oddity, sometimes the battery would end up looking like that but without affecting the board.

#26 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Hi, I replaced all three fuses in the front of the machine buy the money collection boxes, is there likely to be more? Thank you
Hi, There is one on eBay maplins do one but it's a 3v not a 2.4v

Attached Files

#27 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

Looking at that pic of the board there appears to be residue underneath & them tracks have all bubbled, not much bubbling on the rest of the board.

#28 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

Hi. Would you think it's a case of trying to locate a replacement board?

#29 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

£100+ & hard to get one.

#30 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

I see, well I will replace the battery and see what happens, probably no change from now but I live in hopes lol

#31 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:23 PM

Im no expert but that battery pic, and the board pic does look like its leaked so i would say its the board thats the issue at this point.

Follow us on facebook http://www.facebook....131728946893342
www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#32 altharic

altharic

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:52 AM

What about a pic of the underside of the board?

#33 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:22 PM

I think one side of the battery blue casing is bowed inwards. I have ordered a new one so hopefully it's another box ticked off to finding the problem

#34 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

Looking at the inside of the metal case above where the battery was looks a bit marked. So think it definitely got overheated at some stage. Do you guys think when I put the motherboard back into the machine should t take the lid off ? To allow air circulation? Thanks for your thoughts so far much appreciated

#35 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

Looking at the inside of the metal case above where the battery was looks a bit marked. So think it definitely got overheated at some stage. Do you guys think when I put the motherboard back into the machine should t take the lid off ? To allow air circulation? Thanks for your thoughts so far much appreciated

Does sound like it's leaked out some corrosive gas in the past.

Mount the new battery well away from the board and put wires to connect it, known as fly-wiring.

No need to leave the cover off. Just try to make sure that the machine is located somewhere with a fairly steady ambient temperature and where the moisture level is not too high.

I'm willing to bet that the board will need some repair. But you also need to check that the PSU is working correctly. I'll try to see if I can find a diagram showing the expected voltages, if you have the facility to measure them?

#36 altharic

altharic

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

A multimeter will help with that if you have one.

#37 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:01 PM

Thank you both for your advice I will take a picture of the reverse of the board for you to take a look. Can you recommend a company that would repair this type of board and what I would likely to have to pay? I guess if it needs doing I will consider it.

#38 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:22 PM

Top of cover with scorching from battery?

Attached Files

#39 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

Back of motherboard. Not bad but couple of areas I'm not sure about. Guess it will be a case of adding battery and plugging it all back in and seeing what happens. Fingers crossed lol I have a multi meter but never used it tbh it would be useful to pass some current between the couple of areas of the board to see if it will work. But if it needs to be repaired so be it. Thank you all again for your advice

Attached Files

#40 shaun2097

shaun2097

• Regulars
  • 993 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

as previously stated in an earlier post on this topic..."the machine will work wether a battery is present or not"   (RICHY1976)

im getting the impression that you may think that just by replacing the battery it may fix it?

Think of it like this... your computer will boot and work if the bios battery is present or not (will just forget bios settings but it will still work and boot)

its the same with your MPU3. it will just "forget" the state of play (where it is % wise, unused credits...etc etc)

as others have said, i think you are going to be looking at a board repair or replacement. :(

Edited by shaun2097, 07 May 2017 - 09:12 PM.

Former Fruit Machine Engineer.<br /><br /> 1988-2004.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users