Photo
- - - - -

Fruit-Emu e-mail addresses

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: How much would you pay for an @fruit-emu.com e-mail address (with 64Mb of storage)? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

How much would you pay for an @fruit-emu.com e-mail address (with 64Mb of storage)?

1. £5 per year (ie, Bronze Supporter) (37 votes [8.31%])

Percentage of vote: 8.31%

2. £10 per year (ie, Silver Supporter) (14 votes [3.15%])

Percentage of vote: 3.15%

3. £20 per year (ie, Gold Supporter) (22 votes [4.94%])

Percentage of vote: 4.94%

4. I think they should be free (167 votes [37.53%])

Percentage of vote: 37.53%

5. I don't think its something you should bother with (205 votes [46.07%])

Percentage of vote: 46.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 hurtand165

hurtand165

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1610 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:30 PM

So tell me how does one become a vip ?

On the old forums other than layout designer and admin there were no more levels to get up to. so what does one do to be a Vip ?

There were no more ranks you could get just by posting, the V.I.P rank was for people like Pete_w, Impersonator, Dialtone, ReAnnimator, TheRealWizard. i can't remember who else but they all had done something good for the scene.

Hurtand165

#22 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:28 PM

I think this is a good idea but if you are looking for another way of bringing in the lucre, might I suggest a special VIP Fruit Machine area. I'm not talking about cutting off the main supply...but an area with maybe 10 good machines in it that people can only access and download once they have donated or contributed to the scene?

:)
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 12px;'>It's all done in the best possible taste. :bigeyes04:</span></span>

#23 Guest_madman_*

Guest_madman_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:47 PM

I think this is a good idea but if you are looking for another way of bringing in the lucre, might I suggest a special VIP Fruit Machine area. I'm not talking about cutting off the main supply...but an area with maybe 10 good machines in it that people can only access and download once they have donated or contributed to the scene?

don,t think thats a good idea.like going back to older cliques...........
eliteism......if there is such a word.the downloads should be open to all.plus.they would only end up on a filesharin network anywayd.def no from me

#24 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:50 PM

Hmm... not for the 10 machines idea, but would be all for say Arcade access and stuff for donators. Not essential to the site, but worth a fiver of anyones money surely?
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#25 frankie4fingers

frankie4fingers

I need beer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:58 PM

Good idea for donators and the like.
Posted Image

#26 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

True Madman....Guess access should be open to everyone, although it kills me that you guys put in so much hard work and get so little reward. Really rips my guts out when these guys ask for Party Time, Pie Factory, etc...and then don't bother even posting when told they can't get 'em. I'd DEFINITELY charge if the tech to run Party Time ever came out though....1,000 noobs X £20?....lol

Ben, your idea might work. Not sure though. I guess we just have to rely on the good nature of people.
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 12px;'>It's all done in the best possible taste. :bigeyes04:</span></span>

#27 Zoltar

Zoltar

Former Fat Bastard.....

• Gold Supporters
  • 1810 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:29 AM

True Madman....Guess access should be open to everyone, although it kills me that you guys put in so much hard work and get so little reward. Really rips my guts out when these guys ask for Party Time, Pie Factory, etc...and then don't bother even posting when told they can't get 'em. I'd DEFINITELY charge if the tech to run Party Time ever came out though....1,000 noobs X £20?....lol

Ben, your idea might work. Not sure though. I guess we just have to rely on the good nature of people.

The whole reason the emulators and layouts are free in the first place is because the first emulator was created solely to make money for it's creator. It was produced as a gambling aid for the pro's. You bought the emulator and got a handful of layouts. Then the manufacturers threatened legal action.

Also, any layouts created for a restricted few, how long would it take for arguments to start, layouts passing between people on a 'hush hush' basis and those with the layouts developing giant ego's and pretending they are some sort of 'FME Royalty'. See, it's all been done before and that is why the scene is so mis-trusting of itself. This whole scene could have been like the MAME scene with constant updates, frequent input from the authors and geniune motivation from the masses if everything was kept civilized and within the rules.

Anything FME related has to be available for all for free. Charging, wether for a layout or even to fund a forum is in my opinion as bad as the sellers on eBay. Funding has to be a voluntary thing. Other incentives to generate though, thats a different story.
Posted Image

#28 Pgamblin

Pgamblin

Old but still not as old as Ady

• Regulars
  • 1382 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:29 AM

Design an emu, make a massive donation, make a little donation, learn the secret handshake, live in dartford, design a couple of layouts, run a fruit machine company and give fruit emu the nod about releasing old tech roms, drink alot (my personal favourite), discover lotsa lost roms,sound roms, the list goes on and on and on....

So drinking a lot and also being the guard between empire roms and newbies wont help....... :(
N/A

#29 DaemonX

DaemonX

The Devil's Advocate

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:48 PM

I think £10 is acceptable.

This is a great place and although I haven't contributed (yet....) missus watches money like a hawk, I need to sell on ebay to get funds into my paypal lol.

I would love to have an address.

Maybe for the 'bizarre' visiters they can pay £15 for a 'unique' email, like some of the other sites offer?

EG.... DaemonX@Clownsdontkillpeople.com

of is that going to far lol :)

I'd pay tho. (for the fruit-emu one)
Not every pet in Pet Society is sweet and innocent....

#30 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

I think the main thing people need to understand is

You are NOT 'buying an Email address' - you are supporing website that you have to admit, is bound to get a huge bandwidth, through a cash donation, and are getting extra download ability, and an Email address as a way of saying thanks :)
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#31 DaemonX

DaemonX

The Devil's Advocate

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:28 PM

Pgamblin... there is an easier way...

Just change ya title under your nick to V.I.P. Member and hope people don't notice lol

Regulars here would see it and maybe ignore it or laugh about it.

but think of the stature it'll gain you with NOOBS muahahahaaaa

maybe I'll become a VIP, I'm already a TSAR. (no NOT a To££@r) :p

yay payday, might go donate now :)

BTW, why isn't there a running total on the homepage anymore?
Not every pet in Pet Society is sweet and innocent....

#32 BobbyL

BobbyL

• Gold Supporters
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

It's a great idea.I wanted to do it on one of my sites but my host said it has a lot of legal implications .......spam etc.....maybe they just didn't like the idea.I really like the idea of an addy for a donation (£10) though and maybe for good contributors to the site.

On another note............ excellent first issue of the Fruit-Emu Newsletter.It really got my attention (thats why I'm here now :) )
Wheyey!!

#33 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:55 PM

It's a great idea.I wanted to do it on one of my sites but my host said it has a lot of legal implications .......spam etc.....maybe they just didn't like the idea.I really like the idea of an addy for a donation (£10) though and maybe for good contributors to the site.

On another note............ excellent first issue of the Fruit-Emu Newsletter.It really got my attention (thats why I'm here now :) )

A lot of people bobby don't realise that it cost's to run this site....the attitude is, well I can get it for free so why bother?, say that non-stop an FE won't stay around i'm sure.

#34 syco

syco

Pretty basic.

• New Members
  • 131 posts

Donator

Posted 14 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, agreed. People just don't realise just how many costs are involved in running sites, even if it's not directly related to hosting... It's all costs, if it's not actual dosh it's time...

I think the new newsletter is an excellent idea and looked excellent (thanks for the links too! :D ) I'll be donating again shortly... Just waiting for friggin paypal to load :p

#35 mythicos

mythicos

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:06 AM

Not worth it tbh.

People will want them if theyre free and wont want them if they have to pay for them.

If they dont pay for them its far too much messing around (you guys have done more than enough as it is)

And as I said if they arent free they wont generate enough revenue to be worthwhile..

#36 dave1de

dave1de

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:40 AM

I still think that the best way to get donations is to sell DVDs with the emus on for £20. This way about 12, 13 or maybe even 14 quid can go onto the site. People will pay for a dvd of fruities on it, i certainly would, the emus can still be on here, but you can charge £20 to have them all on disc.
Posted Image

#37 Dr DX

Dr DX

Daddy To A Little Angel

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:53 AM

yeah i wud pay that
Women are #@#@#@#s....

#38 Guest_crouch_*

Guest_crouch_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:56 PM

whats the point with them creating email when it's just as good as a forum, and other than that hotmail have free email addresses with 250MB storage and a virus checker

#39 dave1de

dave1de

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:01 PM

so you get the @fruit-emu.com part
Posted Image

#40 mythicos

mythicos

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:32 PM

I still think that the best way to get donations is to sell DVDs with the emus on for £20. This way about 12, 13 or maybe even 14 quid can go onto the site. People will pay for a dvd of fruities on it, i certainly would, the emus can still be on here, but you can charge £20 to have them all on disc.

The emus are copyright and thus selling them would result in seriously bad blood with their coders.

Selling roms is also illegal, and that would also light the fuse on the bomb.

Neither are a very good idea..

The best way to handle it is to "pay and view" meaning, if there's enough money to fund it for the month it opens, if theres not the site goes away.

As a song once said "on and on it seems to go on, but you dont know what you got til its gone" - people will not know why this place is worth a fiver every now and then until it vanishes one day, and then theyll be sitting about complaining.

Let the funds run in the background, if there aint enough noone can complain when the place closes until enough has been donated to get it running again..

Its the same thing with the email accounts, people will want them if theyre free but wont pay out shit if theyre not..

It's life, full of tight fisted meanies and gamblers who would rather put their last quid into a losing bet than put it on a much safer no lose bet like this place !.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users