- - - - -

Happy Birthday Line Up

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

This forum I see as one for newer style machines rather than the old stuff, for which I usually post at the Mecca.  Here is a copy of a post I made there earlier tonight about my favourite fruit machine of all time, which just so happens to be 30 years old this month.

Why a birthday thread for a fruit machine.  Well, because Line Up is a cool 30 years old this year and it was 30 years ago this month that Barcrest foist onto the world what I consider to be the best AWP ever made.  This is a rather slanted view as I only played them in the wild from something like '82 through to '87, so there are literally hundreds I have never played.

Can I describe why I like Line Up so much.  Well for me there are 3 versions of Line UP made by Barcrest for  MPU3; the originally released one with the ROM set that would allow you to do the £2 feature hold trick, the  re-chipped equivalent of this that did not do the trick and Super Line Up, which was the £3 jackpot equivalent that  some were converted to on the change of the maximum allowable jackpot size later on in 1983??  I like them all equally as they all play very similarly.  The original perhaps has the edge for me as you felt like you getting one over on the arcade owner when the £2 feature hold paid off, even though all you were actually doing was eating into the win percentage and causing some very flat play subsequently at times; it was definitely no emptier.

Line Up had numbers, lots of them and some big ones too.  Lite-a-Nudge with its 2's and 1's was poxy by  comparison - Line Up had 3's and 4' as well as 9's and 10's.  You could move up the feature board so damned
fast.  Of course, it is all in the maths with that feature board.  If you had 9 or 18 in numbers drop in it was pointless counting up whether you would hit a win square by holding them all as multiples of 3 would get you nowhere, unless you were starting from a winning square.  What you needed was a 1, 4 or 10 to go with your 9 and that would get you to a win square from the start.  What about a 2 with your 3 or 9?  Well that was no good on its own, but from the start it is easy to see that 5 in total would take you to the 20p win square if everything held, 8 would
take you to 4 nudges, 11 would take you to 50p, 14 would go to 8 nudges (incredibly rare if that one held) and 17 would take you £1 if they all held (strangely far more common that 14 holding).  For the record, if 20 came in and held then that would take you to 12 nudges, but I don't recall ever getting that in actual play.

What was the £2 feature hold you ask.  Well there are some videos on YouTube that show this.  It was a trick on the original Line Up that made use of some sloppy coding design on Barcrest's part.  If after playing your last credit you left the machine and let it go through its attract mode sequence, during that attract mode it spells the word
"play" through the credit alpha.  After it has spelt the word "play", the machine would reset the position on the feature board depending on a number of factors.  If a win was on the win-line then the feature board
would remain on the win value, else if the numbers on the win-line + the value on the feature board at the end of the last credit = a winning £ value amount then reset to that winning square, else reset back to square 3.  Not quite sure why the coders put in there to reset to the next higher win value if the numbers would take you there, maybe the encourage the punter by taking them up the board.  Well it didn't take us long to realise that if the next highest win square was £2 and the machine took you there after the attract mode sequence and it feature held then you would win a jackpot.  And that is what we did, time and time again.  As I said before, it wasn't an emptier, but did allow you longer playing time.

Here is a video of the £2 feature hold in action - here the player didn't wait for Play on the credit alpha, but it was just about to appear and we always used to wait for it as it was a wasted opportunity if you put your coin in too early.

We also used to make use of the reset to square 3.  Say you had 10 in numbers and you weren't on a win square and 10 didn't take you to a win square.  You would let the machine go through the attract mode, wait for
play in alpha, then put your coin in.  If the machine held then you would hold all 3 reels and it would go to square 13 on the feature board = £0.30 win.  Exchange for 4 nudges and who knows where it would end
up.

So, did taking the original chip away change the game.  Well, yes it did, but there were still tricks.  The middle cherry hold is a classic - this is a genuine 1 in 4.8 chance of a 20p win dropping in.  One of my favourites is 2 bells dropping in for £0.20.  If the fruit on the third reel had no numbers, or was the cherry with a 9 on it I would collect
the £0.20 and hope for a hold.  If it held, you hold all three and the 9 on the bell would take you to 6 nudges, or the 9 on the cherry as well would take you to 8 nudges.  The latter needed 1 nudge gamble for 3 bells, and a guaranteed £1 for 6 nudges anyway, the former may well be a bells jackpot with 6 nudges.  You could do the same with 2 bars and the cherry with a 9 on it, which again was a guaranteed £2 jackpot, but far rarer than the bells.

So, I raise my glass to Line Up, my absolute favourite fruitie of all time.  I do hope one day to be reunited with a set of original ROMs, I also hope that some day a top notch DX is released of the Barcrest version.  The DX'ing techniques these days are far superior to those back in the day when Pandy released all his versions.  Pete_W, I thank you for your version, which is the one I play most often on the emulator, which is most days and thanks to the MPU3 SAS under which banner it was released.

I dare say if and when we next go to Paul's or Vinny's you will see me plugging away at my old favourite, piling out the jackpots with regular monotony.  I just never get bored.  An amazing machine.  Thanks Barcrest for making it and to have such vision 30 years ago.

Cheers

Gazza

#2 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Happy Birthday 'Line Up'.

I'm sure there are a many more machines from different companies that mean a lot to people who played them.

Jokers Wild and Heaven 7 were my old favourites.

#3 cja272

cja272

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1489 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Happy birthday line up my FAVOURITE fruit machine of all time

https://www.facebook...hotosandwebcams Great Yarmouth photos and webcams on facebook  <p> 

#4 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

A brilliant write-up mate - loved reading it here and at the Mecca...

..but - it never floated my boat! More like the Titanic for me, but that is just my feelings on Line Up. I love the other Barcrest fruit machines of the time, like Snappy Viper, Exchanges Unlimited etc, but Line Up, with it's whining noises just never, ever got my knickers wagging - if you know what I mean! :p

All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#5 toddyvilla

toddyvilla

• Regulars
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

what a great write up i agree its the best machine ever so i brought one i remember playing this in my local showboat winning loads of tokens but hardly winning back lots of cash

#6 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Very nice write-up! It's a bit before my time, and to be honest I've only played it a couple of times on the emulator, but will fire it up now for 30 minutes and see what happens.

Here's a funny thought - in 24 years time (I think that's about right!) will we all be thanking Bell Fruit for introducing DOND fruit machines? :D

[edit] Just played £30 through Pandy's Super Line Up 2006 v2 layout... £30 in for £12.90 out. Kinda interesting but really just isn't doing it for me. Will try again tomorrow when more sober (the amount of times I clicked on the left most button assuming it was for cancelling holds I don't know... 10? More!?!)

Edited by Bencrest, 30 January 2013 - 12:35 AM.

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#7 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Very nice write-up! It's a bit before my time, and to be honest I've only played it a couple of times on the emulator, but will fire it up now for 30 minutes and see what happens.

Here's a funny thought - in 24 years time (I think that's about right!) will we all be thanking Bell Fruit for introducing DOND fruit machines? :D

[edit] Just played £30 through Pandy's Super Line Up 2006 v2 layout... £30 in for £12.90 out. Kinda interesting but really just isn't doing it for me. Will try again tomorrow when more sober (the amount of times I clicked on the left most button assuming it was for cancelling holds I don't know... 10? More!?!)

The amount of times did that mate when I am sober... you aren't on your own there Ben lad! ;)

All The Best

Daryl

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#8 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

His choice of shortcuts could be iffy at times. He claimed he made them for himself and that is how he liked playing them.

bj

#9 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

His choice of shortcuts could be iffy at times. He claimed he made them for himself and that is how he liked playing them.

bj

It's not the shortcuts as I was playing with a mouse (normally I use the keyboard, especially for hi-tech games, but this hardly seemed worth it!), and it's just that the cancel button on this machine is below the top glass rather than under the bottom glass. That's probably how the original machine was, I just couldn't get my head around it after a few bottles of Old Growler :)

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#10 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

It's not the shortcuts as I was playing with a mouse (normally I use the keyboard, especially for hi-tech games, but this hardly seemed worth it!), and it's just that the cancel button on this machine is below the top glass rather than under the bottom glass. That's probably how the original machine was, I just couldn't get my head around it after a few bottles of Old Growler :)

That is exactly how it was Ben mate... and quite a few MPU3 from Barcrest at that time had the Cancel button on the middle of the two frames, and not to the alignment of the Hold/Nudge/Start buttons... I can understand your confusion - pissed or not! :p
All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#11 topshaun

topshaun

• New Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

fab, one of the few machines that (temporarly) diverted my attention from the SRU`s at the time. Cant remember ever winning much, apart from the gamble to £1.50 and hoped it held! (did once at a traveling fair near me and i got about £12,00 from it!!). However, an excellent machine, a god compared to todays low life.

#12 hypedviper

hypedviper

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:25 AM

That's great, thank you. Sad to say that encountering Line Up was a pivotal moment for me. I was interested in fruit machines before Line Up but didn't tend to play the 10p ones (as I was 10 years old and got £1 a week pocket money) but this (not the mention the feature on £2 trick) helped me graduate ot new levels of excitement of wealth beyond my wildest dreams. It's maybe wrong that 10 year olds should be running up and down the seafront with what would be the equivalent of a couple of hundred quid in money today in those golden tokens. I used to have to hide the tokens under my mattress so my mum didn't ban me from the amusements. Such an exciting summer 

#13 Zoltar

Zoltar

Former Fat Bastard.....

• Gold Supporters
  • 1810 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'm from the Line-Up era and only learnt about those tricks when I got involved on then scene.

Still, 30 years old eh... It sounds soooo old. But I think the true magic of this machine was it was part of the 1980's. Probably the best decade for music, for movies, and for the AWP industry.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users