#1 VampUK

VampUK

Grumpy sod!

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1829 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:58 AM

One for all you arcade fans.
I-Mockery.com | The 50 Greatest Arcade Cabinets In Video Game History!

Posted Image

#2 shaun2097

shaun2097

• Regulars
  • 993 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

nice one. i enjoyed that. being that i was a teenager when space invaders was the new kid on the block in the late 70s early 80s, it was a bit of a trip down memory lane!! (a young teenager of 13 in 1981 i might add!!!)

They dont make em like they used too when i was a kid!!! lol
Former Fruit Machine Engineer.<br /><br /> 1988-2004.

#3 cliffc

cliffc

• Regulars
  • 946 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

Hi

I cannot see how Segas R360 Failed to get in there one of the best games ever if you can cope with being flung upside down

Cliff C

#4 VampUK

VampUK

Grumpy sod!

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1829 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

Theres a few missing I'd of liked to see too, like the baseball game I used to play that had a huge screen and was caged in cos you had to swing a real bat.

Posted Image

#5 shaun2097

shaun2097

• Regulars
  • 993 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

i would have thought that the orignal stand up "GORF" cab would have made it as well. and no "Defender"?

#6 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

i would have thought that the orignal stand up "GORF" cab would have made it as well. and no "Defender"?

Got to agree there shaun

#7 dtrmad2004

dtrmad2004

Total

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1485 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:25 PM

LOL I remember the Sega Time traveller game and how shit it was.

Great link Vamp.
<a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://profile.mygam...trmad2004'></a>Posted Image</a><br /><br />Don't gamble with the Recession!

#8 shaun2097

shaun2097

• Regulars
  • 993 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

Got to agree there shaun

the gorf machine in my local arcade had an excellent fault when it first came in, where you would press the 50p reject and you would get free credits.
Oh how my knee used to ache by the end of the day from pressing with my knee so that it wouldnt be noticed by the attendents! (it was the old mechincal reject which was quite stiff to press) Mind you i did become quit good at it after time, Space Avenger with 1 ship! ohhh i do miss those days!!!

#9 dtrmad2004

dtrmad2004

Total

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1485 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:51 PM

the gorf machine in my local arcade had an excellent fault when it first came in, where you would press the 50p reject and you would get free credits.
Oh how my knee used to ache by the end of the day from pressing with my knee so that it wouldnt be noticed by the attendents! (it was the old mechincal reject which was quite stiff to press) Mind you i did become quit good at it after time, Space Avenger with 1 ship! ohhh i do miss those days!!!

Haha, I used to know a Track and Field that gave a credit on 1st switch on, little bit harder to do than yours thou. the on off switch was right on top of the cabinet in the middle so being noticed doing it was quite possible.
<a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://profile.mygam...trmad2004'></a>Posted Image</a><br /><br />Don't gamble with the Recession!

#10 mazooma

mazooma

I'm not dead yet

• Regulars
  • 915 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

A few memories there but a good few ommisions...

asteroids
astro fighter (tall cabinet, nearly looking up at the screen when I were a lad)
firefox
mach 3 (sit down version)

Galaxy quest (I think thats what is was called-It was Galaxy something anyway- You sat in a kind of cage with a monitor and contoller and the whole thing rotated and tilted) Must have been 1988.

no centipedes either
or even missile command
Where you came from, is gone.
Where you thought you were going, was never there.
And where you're at right now, aint no good, unless you can get away from it.

#11 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

And don't forget spin a 2p into the 10p slot for 1 credit....

there was also a 'driving' machine where if you scraped your shoes along the carpet and touched the chrome 'gearstick' and created a massive amount of static (if you didn't die first) you'd get loads of free credits too...what was that?

#12 mazooma

mazooma

I'm not dead yet

• Regulars
  • 915 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

Galaxy quest (I think thats what is was called-It was Galaxy something anyway- You sat in a kind of cage with a monitor and contoller and the whole thing rotated and tilted) Must have been 1988.

It was galaxy force
Galaxy Force by Sega - BlameTheControlPad.com
Where you came from, is gone.
Where you thought you were going, was never there.
And where you're at right now, aint no good, unless you can get away from it.

#13 superbank

superbank

Antagonist

• Gold Supporters
  • 567 posts

Donator

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

Some good stuff on that list, but a fair bit of shite too!! :D

Can't believe that Defender, Tempest or Outrun didn't make the list!! Loved Track & Field / Hyper Sports as well :)

#14 shaun2097

shaun2097

• Regulars
  • 993 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

and the old flip a 2p up the return coin hole of the reject.

the most profitable and illegal one i knew and used was a horse racing machine with 3 players positions which had a selection of buttons from 1 to 20 to select which horse in the race on the main monitor would win. the top odds on any horse was 19 to 1 which cost 10p and returned £2.00, or the lowest odds of 2 to 1 which paid 30p.

if you clicked on the rivits of the dash or the payout tray with a gas cooker piezo (prob wrong spelling) lighter it would give you 99 credits on all 3 positions, so you would just select every horse in every race on all 3 player positions and the lowest return would be 90p (x3 30p) or £6 (x3 £2.00)

you could repeat this process until the machine was empty which was around £60 which was a lot of dosh to a 14 year old in 1982!! (all in old 10ps! multiple trips were advised to avoid arousing suspision from the owner with jingling bulging pockets of 10ps)

i used to put the elec lighter in my coat pocket and just have the bear end of the wire pushed through the material so there was nothing to see.

needless say the machine wasnt there for too long!!!

#15 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:12 PM

Why do I have this sudden urge to play MAME? :)
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 12px;'>It's all done in the best possible taste. :bigeyes04:</span></span>

#16 Jbrown

Jbrown

• New Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

Where the hell is Gauntlet? Operation Wolf? Tack and Field? Time Crisis? Kung Fu Master?

I would have thought Star wars would have been a lot further up the list than it was.People still going around talking about that today.

As for Track and field,I was a master on the Joystick version (No smutty jokes please :tongue:) or at least I thought so until I went to Italy on holiday when I was a nipper and I played some Teenage Italian guy and he kicked my backside using just ONE finger!

#17 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:07 AM

Ahhh yes nice link Vamp..the memories indeed.

Remember being on holiday and going into an "amusement" arcade ?..Must have been about 4 or 5..but still remember it.

No fruitys at all apart from about half a dozen one armed bandits..JP of £1 probably..the rest of the arcade was filled with video games.

Showing my age noo..:bigeyes09:
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#18 kevkev

kevkev

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:30 AM

No Mr Do or Bomb Jack :(

Mr. Do! Videogame by Universal (1982) - The International Arcade Museum and the KLOV

#19 BWB

BWB

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:33 AM

Great stuff but what about the SYS16 stuff

Loved these games

Check this ................

System 16 - Namco Medium Sized Attractions Hardware (Namco)

#20 VampUK

VampUK

Grumpy sod!

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1829 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:50 AM

Great stuff but what about the SYS16 stuff

Loved these games

Check this ................

System 16 - Namco Medium Sized Attractions Hardware (Namco)

I remember that huge galaxian 3 game, was'nt the best game ever but was a real experiance to play due to its size.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users