Photo
- - - - -

Ode, to the eBayers of doom...or is that support?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 08:19 PM

Has anyone else noticed that people are selling emu CDs on eBay?
Also - this is not a joke!!
There was an auction on a Link to a site that supplied emulators - was at 30p last time I checked....I betcha it was this site :)

I am not going to say that I am disgusted that people seem to be 'cashing in' on the FME scene, because I had a bit of a brainwave.

I don't necessarily like the fact that people are making money out of the FME scene by selling the Layouts that people put so much effort into for £9.99 [normally £4.99 or £9.99]...but perhaps it could be a source of alternative funding?

To those that are selling these CDs, how about reinvesting the money in the EMU scene, either by sponsoring this site, or maybe a site of your favourite layout designer? It seems fair, as they are the ones that are doing this despite all that seems to go on in the scene, and they deserve all the support they can get.

To those that run the sites, how about selling 'official' CDs on eBay? I understand that it would make a change, I also understand that some people will probably be disgusted in me for even suggesting such a thing, but if CDs were supplied on eBay for a -FAIR- price, this could support revenue...maybe an FME Kitty for when times are hard?

Example] I pay 17p per CD, as I get 100CDs for £17 on my market. Someone from the site could start up an eBay account, burn 100CDs as a trial, and auction them on eBay as like a Buy It Now for £2.99, i.e a £2.82 -postage markup. Sell 100 and you can have £282....that could go towards server costs, e.t.c. I hope other people agree that this would be a very fair price to pay, and I would personally snap one up. Oh, and how about some merch like DXcellent used to have? Fruit-Emu T-shirts as modelled by the lady with the new design :D

Any suggestions and replies are welcome, but don't go mental on me :)
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#2 fruitymad2003

fruitymad2003

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 08:30 PM

Same here why not sell them then support a site because downloads are free anyway!!!!

#3 Jez_Shaw

Jez_Shaw

• New Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 07:29 AM

As a regular user of eBay (User name Jez_Shaw - check my profile), I would question how many of these auctions actually get completed. Currently, out of 36 auctions, only 4 have bids against them. I would suspect the completion rate is very small. I must hold my hand up and say I bought one of these discs, however if I hadn't, I would never have discovered this site or the whole emulation scene. Whilst I applaud the idea of attempting to scource alternative funding, I would question whether e-Bay is the answer.

#4 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 04:12 PM

Okies, just a thought :)
How about the merch idea? Fruit-Emu coffee cups would be the talk of the town, as would Tshirts :)
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users