• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

• Regulars
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 12:27 PM

Hello,

I called past the scene in its various forms last night, as I do from time to time, just to see what, if, anything interesting is happening. And I did discover something "interesting" and somewhat amusing, it turns out I am banned from Desert Island Fruits :) Now what makes this even more entertaining is that I wasn't even aware I was a member, and don't recall ever even posting so what I have done to be banned - I honestly have no clue.

Well, it's no great secret that I wasn't exactly liked by Chris and co when I leaked the MFME source code with MPU5\S4 support. But that's what, well over a decade ago now, and I thought Chris had died last year.

Anyhow, if anyone has any idea what I've done to be banned, I'd love to hear it. I honestly couldn't care less, I'm just intrigued as to what I may or may not have done this time to upset everyone.

Hope you are all well, it's nice to see some of the old timers like myself still posting. Which reminds me, I saw a thread StanMarsh posted a while back about an MPU34 reunion. Well I've got a nice 12 year old Laphroaig begging to be drunk this weekend, so if it still exists on an IRC server somewhere please post the details.

Attached Files

Edited by Daysleeper, 13 November 2021 - 12:30 PM.

#2 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 09:05 AM

We have a nice, active community over at DIF and FME is a much more chilled out/settled place, then it ever was.

I hope you get your membership sorted and join in again, many of the old school are still active.

Since 2016, when the new release of MFME was released, most of the animosity of the past, was quickly moved on from. Wizard, was very active and posting and updating the community on a daily basis about MFME. Play testers of the emulator, included several members who would be at loggerheads in the past. So much of the past had/has changed.

Yes sadly Wizard has passed, but there is still plenty of stuff being released for MFME. Also a new project, the arcade simulator, has huge potential to keep MFME alive and fresh for years to come, even without MFME emulator updates.

#3 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

• Regulars
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:51 PM

We have a nice, active community over at DIF and FME is a much more chilled out/settled place, then it ever was.

I hope you get your membership sorted and join in again, many of the old school are still active.

Since 2016, when the new release of MFME was released, most of the animosity of the past, was quickly moved on from. Wizard, was very active and posting and updating the community on a daily basis about MFME. Play testers of the emulator, included several members who would be at loggerheads in the past. So much of the past had/has changed.

Yes sadly Wizard has passed, but there is still plenty of stuff being released for MFME. Also a new project, the arcade simulator, has huge potential to keep MFME alive and fresh for years to come, even without MFME emulator updates.

Thanks for your response, I had noticed a much more active and perhaps “chilled” scene over at DIF before for reasons I still don’t understand I was banned.

I have seen a lot of what look to be very good DX layouts from both old and new designers, the odd thing with me is I NEVER played any of the emulators – I just loved the challenge of creating a layout and understanding the technology behind it.

I’m not going to be “that guy” who promises the “world” just to get his way, but I had access to the BFM FTP for well over a decade, right up until around 2018 IIRC. During this time, I would regularly download its entire contents of predominately program ROMS (S2/S4/S5) to a hard drive. I no longer use any mechanical drives in my system but I do still have my old drives. As I don’t really follow the forums anymore I have no idea if there is still a problem obtaining ROMS but with the notable exception of S2 sound ROMS (which were never on the FTP for some reason) I have a complete set of all BFM games up until around 5 years ago.

If these are of use, then Ill make an effort to upload the lot.

#4 fruitsnappa

fruitsnappa

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1304 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for your response, I had noticed a much more active and perhaps “chilled” scene over at DIF before for reasons I still don’t understand I was banned.

Probably because your account has been dormant for to long. Contact Reg @ DIF 

#5 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 11:01 AM

I think Reg, maybe away from the forums, as he hasn't posted for a few days, but I'm sure he'll sort something out. You might have to sign up fresh again, but once you've done an intro, I'm sure you'll be in, in no time.

As I said, things are much different to the old days and any resources are always welcomed.

#6 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 17 November 2021 - 12:21 PM

I have seen a lot of what look to be very good DX layouts from both old and new designers, the odd thing with me is I NEVER played any of the emulators – I just loved the challenge of creating a layout and understanding the technology behind it.

I’m not going to be “that guy” who promises the “world” just to get his way, but I had access to the BFM FTP for well over a decade, right up until around 2018 IIRC. During this time, I would regularly download its entire contents of predominately program ROMS (S2/S4/S5) to a hard drive. I no longer use any mechanical drives in my system but I do still have my old drives. As I don’t really follow the forums anymore I have no idea if there is still a problem obtaining ROMS but with the notable exception of S2 sound ROMS (which were never on the FTP for some reason) I have a complete set of all BFM games up until around 5 years ago.

If these are of use, then Ill make an effort to upload the lot.

Hi we have a fair few Scorp4 layouts or roms without there sound parts so any uploads are much appreciated
On the subject of sound roms I don’t suppose you have a few I’m listing here
Shogun scorp1 I think
Bobby dazzler
Cluedo
Club tutti fruittie
Bank roll
Basically as said a fair few
I hope you get back onto DIF As that is the place to be now, unfortunately this site has gone down hill a lot in recent years no one uploads their layouts to here and hardly no posts I’m sad to say!!
Hopefully differences will be put aside and the past can be left behind as life’s to short
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#7 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

• Regulars
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:05 AM

Hi we have a fair few Scorp4 layouts or roms without there sound parts so any uploads are much appreciated
On the subject of sound roms I don’t suppose you have a few I’m listing here
Shogun scorp1 I think
Bobby dazzler
Cluedo
Club tutti fruittie
Bank roll
Basically as said a fair few
I hope you get back onto DIF As that is the place to be now, unfortunately this site has gone down hill a lot in recent years no one uploads their layouts to here and hardly no posts I’m sad to say!!
Hopefully differences will be put aside and the past can be left behind as life’s to short

I honestly couldn't tell you exactly what is on the drive without digging it out and installing it, which I will do at some point and I will upload its entire contents regardless of whatever the situation is at DIF.

What I do know is there were no sound ROMs on the FTP ever for S2, and as for S1 - I think I may have a few program roms, but I don't think I have ever seen a sound rom for S1.

S4 and S5 were much more complete, often with multiple revisions of the same ROM and periodically, I would just connect and dump the entire FTP to keep things up to date. I lost access around 2017\2018 so there would be nothing newer than that obviously.

Also, it was a BFM archive, so other manufacturers using the same tech, QPS, Mazoomer etc were never on there either.

#8 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

• Regulars
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:19 AM

I forgot to mention, when they are stored on the FTP they are not named, they have either a 6 or 8 digit (I can't remember) unique name BFM assigns to all their games. With the S2 ones I had a document which told me which number related to which game, and I made an effort with the S2's to rename all the files appropriately. I may have done it for a few early S4 dumps, but I honestly cannot remember, it's likely I stored them as found with the numerical name.

And just to make things more interesting, I am not sure if I ever saved the document which could decode them to the back up drive :)

Should still be possible to work out what is what by loading them into the EMU, but I doubt thats something I could be bothered with right now.

#9 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:48 AM

I don’t think there can be many we require to be honest. I’m pretty sure most of the ones new we have have been directly sourced from the Bellfruit ftp site. There will be sound roms for S4 and S5 but as it’s mostly updated software on the BBS, sounds aren’t usually available. Unless, of course, you had direct access to their full old and new archive system. So you could potentially have earlier and rom revisions. Would be nice to get some of those for sure ;)

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#10 mort

mort

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • Pip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 01:15 PM

Hi DS, good to see you are still around mate. I hope you get the situation resolved regarding access to DIF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users