• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:33 PM

I'm 51 years old (or young as I say it ;) )

Yesterday I took the biggest plunge that I thought i'd never do....try!

Had the 1st of 12 1-2-1 meetings with 'Simon', a no smoking councillor

The meeting was scheduled for an hour, this went into 1h 15min's.....and so much was achieved I thought.

No pressure, no disrespecting me of  a bad habit I have......

I went in thinking "why am I here?"....came out as "I know why" :)

Yeah I appreciate this post is total bullshit to most, myself included after reading it prior to posting....but there we go...I just wanted to say something to someone/people close to my heart.

Going to a rough ride :) But i'll do it ;)

Attached Files

#2 altharic

altharic

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

Drink makes you want to smoke more I found.

Good luck

#3 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

Drink makes you want to smoke more I found.

Good luck

Chris, got to have One pleasure mate :)

This was all mentioned in my meeting yesterday bud.

(The Beer was posted as a joke too) ;)

#4 DAD

DAD

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 542 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

It'll be 5 years in Sept since I gave up the cigs but 6 months ago I came within a hairs breath of starting up again.  The only thing which stopped me was takeing to a Vape machine which I still use daily.  Yeah OK you could say I now smoke again, but at least its not the dreaded cigarettes, or roll ups in my case.

Good luck though Ady :).

• ady likes this

#5 barcrest junky

barcrest junky

• Moderators
  • 843 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

Good luck from another 51 year old youngster.  

#6 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

The one thing that I absolutely regret in life is my time as a fully addicted smoker. It has a huge impact on almost all aspects of your health for many years, if not forever. You can't ever fully reverse those bad decisions, but the sooner you can make a positive change, the the better.

Good luck!
  • ady likes this

#7 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

Good luck, for the past 7 years, I've worked in an office with just 4 other people and strangely, when I started I was the only one who didn't smoke.

They now either don't smoke or don't smoke normal cigarettes anymore and use the fruit flavoured stuff.

So it can certainly be done.

Keep us updated on how you get on.

• ady likes this

#8 evo1

evo1

• Regulars
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

Mate it is worth it in the end, i give up about 6 years ago after the birth of my first child! started smoking about 16 years old as just smoke pot/weed wouldnt smoke a ciggy only joints but when work started have random drug/beer tests i give up smoking pot but carried on smoking normal ciggys to help me get over smoking that shit(weed, which was also costing a lot of money at the time) and never really though of stopping until we had are first child and it wasnt fare me going outside to have a smoke then coming in smelling like an ashtray when holding the baby.So i give up. ya took me about a week for my mind to stop wanting me to light up but used to have a mint, and get on with something(anything) just to take my mind off wanting a smoke and ya if i had  2-3 cans in week that was hard but again try to divert the mind(it soon gives up wanting a smoke. dont forget yer fingers play a part in this cause all them years of smoking holding a ciggy and now your fingers have nothing to do.

Dont forget your in control,not the mind

Dont give in YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!   just think of the price of them now getting a joke and there only going to get higher.

And if you dont succeed dont think you will never do this,YOU WILL

GOOD LUCK

Edited by evo1, 12 May 2017 - 06:05 PM.

#9 ricardo de ponsa

ricardo de ponsa

Man Of Science

• Regulars
  • 1110 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

Good Luck Ady, you've made first the step, I'm sure you can see this one out OK. :)

It takes me all night to do what I use to do all night long !!!!!!!. :twitcy:

Don't come round and steal my Cheerios !!!!

#10 westy20040

westy20040

Layout Designer

• Regulars
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

Good luck Ady.

• ady likes this

#11 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

goodluck just like gambling the first step is admitting you've got the addiction and are willing to stop, takes a lot of will power and determination 

take one day at a time before you know it a weeks gone then a month etc 

• ady likes this
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#12 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

Good luck!

Coming up to 20 years since I stopped - first few weeks are the worst, then you start feeling fitter and better!

• ady likes this

#13 NickYerPesos

NickYerPesos

OFFICIAL THREAD KILLER!!!

• Regulars
  • 989 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

Good for you mate.. It certainly helps being in the right mind set. I found a e-book/ audio book by a guy called Allan Carr (Not THAT Alan Carr lol) called the easy way to give up smoking. He also has a book called the easy way to stop gambling and both of his methods has worked wonders for me.

Good luck matey

• ady likes this

#14 1969kappa

1969kappa

South Park fan

• Regulars
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:52 PM

Good luck you can do it if you really want to I smoked for 36 years gave up 11 weeks ago .I am strong willed when i want to be but  never gave up for new year or when people told me too because  I'm Stubben . So i was sat in my house one sat night sun morn about 3.30 am and as I went bed I thought right I will give up from now on and still had 17 fags in a packet got up later that Sunday and have not had one since .So moral of the story is YOU MUST WANT TO GIVE UP or it is pointless I talked about it for years before deciding to do it but the money you will save is amazing with me its about £70 a week .(also I never used patches or ecigs just stopped) so good luck be strong the benifits are great Health and Financial  

#15 shaun2097

shaun2097

• Regulars
  • 993 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:51 PM

good luck m8.

• ady likes this
Former Fruit Machine Engineer.<br /><br /> 1988-2004.

#16 niallquinn

niallquinn

• Contributor
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

I packed in about 5 years ago, had to,  Had an operation on my throat, epiglottis removed, and 16 incisions made down my throat - although being prescribed morphine suspension for a month took the edge off.

Patches worked for me in the end after 2 false starts.

Yes, every now and then for a split second I fancy a tab, but that feeling goes quicker than it's taken to type this sentence.

NQ.

• ady likes this

#17 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

i have a nearest and dearest of mine who is 55 and smoked since he was 12 - and just this week diagnosed with acute lunge cancer. half a lung removed and/or chemo and radio therapy.

any f*cker who thinks hes immune needs his bumps felt. yes its addictive, yes its hard to quit, but cancer/death from is more common than you might think

well dont to ady (despite he thinks im a f`ing idiot)

Gary

• ady likes this

#18 letmein

letmein

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

30  years since I gave up the fags,

woke up one morning in the eighties coughed into a hanky and it turned RED.

Thant was It, 18 fags left in the pack, tore them up, never smoked again.

I was lucky it wasn't the dreaded "C", but it took the fright of my life to Quit.

If you really want to you WILL succeed!

Remember this.. Coughing + Coughing = COFFIN.

M

• ady likes this

#19 ruudykins

ruudykins

• Regulars
  • 39 posts

Donator

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:13 AM

​Well done :)

​just 1 piece of advice from little ol' me. DON'T think 'just one will be ok' It wont, believe me.

• ady likes this

#20 TommyC

TommyC

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2832 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

Good luck ady, it is a horrid addiction, I'm sure you'll manage. I gave up for 18 months was doing really well up until losing my mum last june to cancer. I now smoke even more than before. I went to the docs for a check up, i said i didn't smoke due to using an ecig, he told me they are worse than the cigs, so i desided to smoke again, think the stress made me give in more than anything. Good luck in your quest :)
  • ady likes this
Hold the bells mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users