Recent Machines

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 funy

funy

• New Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 05:40 PM

Hi, im fairly new to the scene, and most of the machines ive seen on here are fairly old and things like £15/10/£6 jackpots. And i assume this is just becuase of the fact that if you had emus of latest machines this might help people learn the machines and win?? i dunno.

Im just wondering if there is like a certain amount of time before a machine wont be in general circulation or get converted to a rom. Or is it just down to someone buying the machine and grabbing the rom?

There are some good machines around these days i wouldnt mind having a go at on my pc. Just wondering if they are ever likely to get done

#2 Wozza

Wozza

Advanced Member

• Gold Supporters
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 07:16 PM

Funy,

You are partialy right, the limitation is really down to the Machines technology, as only certain technology can be emulated at the moment e.g MPU4 can be emulated but MPU5 can't so as most new machines use the never technology they remain unemulated, there are some new releases that use the older technology but not many. The other restriction is the avalability of the artwork (photos) and ROMS (need to extract from a real machine).

The good rule of thumb is that if a machine is older than 3 years it can probably be emulated as long as artwork, ROMS and the right techology.

Hope that helps

Wozza
Wozza

#3 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 06:41 PM

I think its pretty funny, am I the only one that finds modern JPM machines [i.e Tomb Raider] to be flat as hell to play? Good thing is, that due to them not [as far as I am aware], upgrading the Impact technology, we can emulate their most recent machines, i.e Tomb Raider.

But then.....why the buggery didnt they ever upgrade from Impact? I mean, I understand the old 'If it aint broke, dont fix it', but then their modern machines are useless and theyve used the same technology since the 80 [I think] lol.

Anyone else feel the same way? You want to look at the JPM forums....they set up their own forums and all people do in there is talk about how crap their machines are now...heaven!

#4 JustInfo

JustInfo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 11:19 AM

They are changing their tech now.

Also fruit machine techs are not PC's, where there seems to be the mentality of always upgrading to the latest and greatest, therefore if the fruit machine tech is doing the job, why do they need to change it for the sake of it?

Personally I think the fact they have been able to produce a wide range of machines over a long period of time using a single tech shows that the Impact technology was a good design in the first place. It is indeed showing its age now though.

On a side note there are rebuild companies producing new machines on older technologies, and to take a particular example from a few years back, with Ooh Ahh Dracula, there is an MPU5 and an MPU4 (rebuild) version, which play identically, so in that particular instance MPU5 had little to offer benefit wise over MPU4.

So as you say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tech revisions are often not a case of having to move to upgraded technology to support better play (although this does happen of course). Revisions happen for a number of reasons, including security of the platform, reliability of components, moving to cheaper more integrated components etc.

#5 funy

funy

• New Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the replies.

is there anywhere that actually states whats in and what the differnt mpX versions do.

There is a machine called notevation at our local which is a jpm machine, how can you tell what version it is?

Its got 3 shot type things where you shoot for blue feature yellow feature of a cash shooter type thing.

Tis pretty good if you catch it on a good day, on our friday night out last week we managed to have about £80 out of it between 3 of us :)

Next rounds on jpm lol :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users