Photo
- - - - -

Fixing up The Weakest Leek fruit machine - "reel error 5" (hi / lo reel)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 keiron

keiron

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Hi everyone. I was given a fruit machine from my next door neighbour called The Weakest Leek. It had a battery leak on the MPU board. I ordered a replacement online and fitted it. The game booted and worked like a charm for about a week. Thank you to the site and forums for all the information I've been able to gather whilst lurking.

Some of the bulbs had blown so I decided to replace them all the other day. I was heavy handed in shutting the top door and now the hi / lo reel doesn't spin during initial testing. It tries to move but is unsuccessful. I had a poke around with the wires and managed to get it spinning one time but the system still came up with the "Reel Error 5" message on the main screen. Also the sensor plastic stick thing didn't stop perfectly lined up with the sensor (as it does with the other reels).

I tried swapping the leads over on the reel board and the working reel still spun, so I don't think it's a problem with the reel board. I am very suspicious that there is a loose connection somewhere in the hi lo reel.

The next thing I am going to do is try swapping the entire black lead with one that I know works, to check if there is some issue there.

I did read that I am supposed to reset the machine but my reset button doesn't seem to be working (is it supposed to make a noise? The green hopper fill button does make a noise).

Anyway any tips would be really appreciated. Thanks!

#2 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

Have you knocked the opto sensor out of line (the black tab on the reel) or maybe made the reel go out of shape?

#3 keiron

keiron

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

It doesn't look like I have knocked the opto sensor out of line but I will have another look. The reel is not misshapen and was not hit or anything like that.

I went home at lunch and somehow managed to get the machine into test mode - a woman's voice said "Test Mode" and something new was displayed on the alphanumeric display. Unfortunately I shut the front and it went away and test mode was lost, and I haven't been able to re-enter it!

Would it help with my debugging if I entered test mode? Or should I forget about it for now and disassemble the reel and put it back together (to attempt to fix any loose connections?)

#4 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Post some pics of as it is now (connections and opto sensor and flag)

Someone might spot something you haven't.

It sound to me like either you've dislodged a connector when you slammed the door shut, or maybe trapped a wire or even made a dry solder joint crack or break.

If it was working fine before this, then my bet is it's something simple..... well hopefully it is ;)

If you pull the reel apart it may rectify a bad connection when you put it back together.

Oh and it there a red light on the opto sensors board, if so is it on?

#5 keiron

keiron

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks, I will take some photos when I get home (around 7pm if not before).

Is the opto sensor board the bit that the opto sensor should line up to? If so it's very simple and I don't think it has any leds on it. There's definitely no red lights showing.

:)

#6 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Replied on at the mecca.

Cant be arsed doing it twice.....

#7 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

The opto sensor is the black plastic U shaped thing that's fastened to the reel bracket, and the opto flag is the little black plastic thing that sticks out of the reel drum (the round thing withe the symbols on.

Replied on at the mecca.

Cant be arsed doing it twice.....

Didn't realise it was over there as well. 

Nowt like keeping your options open is there lol ;)

#8 keiron

keiron

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

The opto sensor is the black plastic U shaped thing that's fastened to the reel bracket, and the opto flag is the little black plastic thing that sticks out of the reel drum (the round thing withe the symbols on.

Didn't realise it was over there as well. 

Nowt like keeping your options open is there lol ;)

Thanks.

Sorry, it was a bit cheeky of me to post in 2 places  :D

#9 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Thanks.

Not really, the Mecca tends to deal in older machines and newer ones here, so you never know which one might get you a better response when you're new.

Plus although a lot of members are on both sites, some aren't, and if you only posted on one site, the person that could help you might not see it, if they're a member on the other site, if you see what I mean.

I'll shut up now cos I'm starting to confuse MYSELF! :)

#10 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thanks.

it is really when you havent replied on the mecca....

that is the one place you may gave been given reliable help.

#11 keiron

keiron

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

it is really when you havent replied on the mecca....

that is the one place you may gave been given reliable help.

I have replied there. The reason I'm quicker off the mark here is that I get email notifications when someone posts a reply here.

#12 keiron

keiron

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Here we go! I hope these pictures are useful 1.gif

In the mean time I am going to try the other options mentioned in this thread 1.gif

gsYBswu.jpg

AJm6pIX.jpg

ajjAVYk.jpg

BlXSKqI.jpg

WMDfWi5.jpg

#13 keiron

keiron

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hey, I ended up fixing it by turning the reel by hand until the sensor lined up. Then it just worked 1.gif

Thanks for your help everyone. Next I'm going to replace the PSU board (the speaker is making a horrible buzzing noise that I want to reduce).

After that I'm going to see if I can decompile the source code and have a play and see if I can make it "fairer" (ie I'm guessing hi/lo results aren't truly random and are based on the takings of the machine). Should be fun :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users