Photo
- - - - -

Project Amber - DX8VB.dll error

Best Answer IHartwell, 11 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

I had this problem and had to download and register 2 files (another error came up after dx8vb.dll) which is NOT recommended.

After I did that there was a run-time error, confused to hell i finally realised I wasnt using the installer, it was just an updated exe so you might be doing the same.

Actual installer is here: http://www.dadsfme.c...2.0;attach=7793 and is named APInstaller instead of ProjAmber

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Golden_reds

Golden_reds

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

I think I must be doing something wrong.  I have tried to install Project Amber on a couple of different PC's (both running windows 7) but get the same error on both, even though I am running the exe file as administrator.  I have also ensured DirectX is up-to-date because I did a google search and found some gamers have had a similar problem to mine.  The error box says :-

• "The program can't start because DX8VB.DLL is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I did a search on the forum for "dx8vb.dll" but couldn't find anything (apologies if I've missed something).  Any help greatly appreciated.

#2 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Try the latest version of amber from http://www.dadsfme.c...x.php?board=2.0

Its on the left.

You will have to register if not already & will have to wait for reg to be approved I think.

#3 westy20040

westy20040

Layout Designer

• Regulars
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

The DX8VB.DLL file is to do with directx and not amber, it sounds like you need to download and install the .dll file manually, this site may help as you can download the file from there and instructions how to install it.

http://www.dlldump.c...5.03.2600.2180/

#4 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:06 AM   Best Answer

I had this problem and had to download and register 2 files (another error came up after dx8vb.dll) which is NOT recommended.

After I did that there was a run-time error, confused to hell i finally realised I wasnt using the installer, it was just an updated exe so you might be doing the same.

Actual installer is here: http://www.dadsfme.c...2.0;attach=7793 and is named APInstaller instead of ProjAmber

#5 jim2311

jim2311

Genius

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'm not running Windows 7, but I'm guessing you updated to DirectX 11. I would delete that file and power off. Then install DirectX 9 from a reputable source.

I'm not saying it's a sure fire cure, but it won't take long and you can always reinstall the updated version again.

#6 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

Im on dx11 on win 8 with no probs, I had amber dx11 on win7 as well, there were no probs with them

There was probs with early versions of amber needing dll's.

As said above make sure you patch the amber.exe with the updated one, overwrite it on the root of you C: drive, Project amber folder.

Would recommend having Microsoft visual C++ 2010 installed & netframe as well.

Edited by richy1976, 11 June 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#7 Golden_reds

Golden_reds

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Thank you everybody, much appreciated. I think I did the same as 'IHartwell'.  Was already a member at DadsFME from years ago, so I have grabbed the file, installed and the job's a good one.

Cheers :)

#8 IHartwell

IHartwell

• New Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

No problem ;)

think someone needs to update this site with that info as I think we only offer the latest exe and not the installer (its rather confusing)

#9 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

Also if still having problems my guide on how to get amber running available in the tutorials section of this site may help
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#10 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

bit of a pig to setup but when its there its there. 

* i would have prefered to loads the games from whatever directory i wish, rather than different directories - but hey..

#11 twist

twist

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

any  ideas  to my problem with project amber   will not work. says  this is not a  valid bitmap file. you must use png,bitmap or psd file.  could  i  possible have help on what this means   many thank

#12 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

a bitmap is a picture file by definition ?  so are .png and .psd files.

I take it your trying to load in a picture and amber supports those above?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users