STOP n FLIP STEP n SKIP

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 wirralbret

wirralbret

• Regulars
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:43 PM

thats a bad blow to the hopefulness I had of seeing a classic game being emulated. I'm surprised that there where so many of these machines and all of a sudden, they are as common as rocking horse shit - i bet some guy out there has bought them all up and has a warehouse full of em!

#22 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

OUCH! part of Wizards source code was posted on another forum I think a comeback is more likely by Elvis, Buddy Holly, Big Boppa and John Denver all on the same bill.

#23 wirralbret

wirralbret

• Regulars
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:05 PM

Elvis works in our local Kwik Save, so there's hope yet!

#24 superbank

superbank

Antagonist

• Gold Supporters
  • 567 posts

Donator

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

Brett, you ever get to the Arcades around New Brighton??

We used to go there as kids and they were shitholes in general but had good machines (as did most arcades in the 1980's)

There used to be one place called ??Variety Fayre??

Had some great 2p machines in there, and a very generous 2p Eachway Shuffle type machine with a monster £1.50 Jackpot which it paid quite regularly. :bigeyes05:

#25 wirralbret

wirralbret

• Regulars
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:06 PM

yeah, i remember the variety fayre very well, and the one across the road called the golden sovereign. They where both on victoria road, owned by Alf Wadbrook. He also had the golden goose (the old pier building) at the bottom of victoria road. Then we had the Bright spot and the palace on the front. The spot and the palace are still there but the other 3 have long since been pulled down. The Arcadia on the front was called something else years ago but I can't remember what. I also remember the little one by the old baths, can't remember what it was called now, it had a small outdoor ride area and the inside was full of one armed bandits. I would love to see some pics of that place again, it was sadly pulled down in 1991.

Hows that for memory and im only 34!!!!

#26 wirralbret

wirralbret

• Regulars
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

i've just had a brain wave - the little crap one by the old baths was called the Ceasars Palace. I knew it would come to me!!

#27 wirralbret

wirralbret

• Regulars
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

they made a film in new brighton in 1991, "Let him have it" i was an extra, walking up and down victoria road in a black coat with a hat on. i got £25 for 2 hours work and have watched the film lots of times and i think i can see myself, has anyone any pictures of these arcades on Viccy road?

#28 wirralbret

wirralbret

• Regulars
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:40 PM

i found the golden goose pics. sadly the pier closed in 1971 and was demolished in 1977/78 but the arcade was there til around 1991

Attached Files

#29 superbank

superbank

Antagonist

• Gold Supporters
  • 567 posts

Donator

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

i found the golden goose pics. sadly the pier closed in 1971 and was demolished in 1977/78 but the arcade was there til around 1991

Wow!! Great to see that old photo - thanks Bret it brought back some good memories.

I used to love the Goose cos of the great fruits and it had a Hyper Sports in there too... although the records were some of the best that I have ever seen!! :bigeyes02:

Was the Funspot the one with a load of fairground type rides undercover. There was a massive arcade in there too.

Great memories!! :bigeyes20:

#30 wirralbret

wirralbret

• Regulars
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

yeah, the bright spot was the arcade with all the machines in and the palace next door had all the undercover rides. The bright spot was pulled down about 3 years ago now, all the rides where removed from the palace and the arcade was put in there. So they renamed the palace to the Bright spot, tho no where near as good as it used to be, we call it the Shite spot now. i'll keep an eye out in my collection for other old photos, but if anyone has any photos of the Ceasars Palace, I would love to see them

#31 STEVE HOWARD

STEVE HOWARD

old skool hero

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:42 PM

blimey! i was the engineer there then! he also owned the Oasis and The golden Nugget on market street, was a good guy to work for. Alf Wadbrook owned an arcade around the corner from the Strike, I think it was called the Sovereign. It was also on Charing cross, i believe that miserable old bugger is still alive!

lol I used to do some work for paul in the strike moving machines to a few pub sites etc he would get brian to pay me for it in tokens ha ha, probably talking around 1992 ish?? I remember playin the step n skip in the sovereign round the corner it was on the left as soon as you walked in the front door and yes there was four stop n flips in the bright spot in newbo along with a nice bwb star-turn which I used to play also, HAPPY DAYS!!

#32 STEVE HOWARD

STEVE HOWARD

old skool hero

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:47 PM

Brett, you ever get to the Arcades around New Brighton??

We used to go there as kids and they were shitholes in general but had good machines (as did most arcades in the 1980's)

There used to be one place called ??Variety Fayre??

Had some great 2p machines in there, and a very generous 2p Eachway Shuffle type machine with a monster £1.50 Jackpot which it paid quite regularly. bigeyes05.png

I remember the variety used to go in there a lot and the one opposite, the engineer in there used to own an old ambulance lol, I would probably recognize you do you live on the Wirral?

#33 innfection

innfection

Requestor/Bug Finder/Resourcer/

• Regulars
  • 761 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:51 PM

Responding in a 12yr post?

Resourcer/Bug Finder 

#34 CharlieRaymondo

CharlieRaymondo

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:27 AM

Responding in a 12yr post?

Now that is truly sad. Can't you sleep?

#35 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

OUCH! part of Wizards source code was posted on another forum I think a comeback is more likely by Elvis, Buddy Holly, Big Boppa and John Denver all on the same bill.

Look forward to the comeback tour being advertised then shall we?

#36 frig

frig

• Regulars
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:21 PM

Interesting to see this old thread pop up. I am just wondering if Alf Wadbrook, is the same Alf W who owned the arcade accross the road from me in Southport in the 90's? 

#37 evo1

evo1

• Regulars
  • 571 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:57 PM

In all fairness sometimes an old thread can open up good things don't forget FME has moved on a lot. Maybe in some cases we didn't have the resources or tech wasn't running on FME. Plus also we do have new members that may not look back at threads but maybe shed some light on what was asked. 

Edited by evo1, 17 November 2019 - 08:58 PM.

#38 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:34 PM

i love trawling through old topics on here and the mecca, (normally whilst i'm working lol)

you can really unearth some hidden gems and there's images of machines that weren't emulatable back then which are now like

blue chip for instance, the roms were from the mecca via a 2007 topic and the images from a few years after

plus you can really learn a lot about fme from years gone by

The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#39 evo1

evo1

• Regulars
  • 571 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:18 PM

In all fairness sometimes an old thread can open up good things don't forget FME has moved on a lot. Maybe in some cases we didn't have the resources or tech wasn't running on FME. Plus also we do have new members that may not look back at threads but maybe shed some light on what was asked.

why has my post been edited??? Without asking

#40 evo1

evo1

• Regulars
  • 571 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:23 PM

Is it because I have not payed this time to support the site??? Update and I will support . Simples really. But please don't edit change my post without asking. Let's not go back to the dark days of admin messing with posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users