MPU5 Battery Replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tommytheslug

Tommytheslug

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

Hello all, new to Fruit machine ownership so please go easy!

Ive recently been given a Star Wars - New Hope machine and although i can get it working by re entering the date and mucking about with it, I keep getting an error saying no ID chip No characteriser, which Im led to believe could be caused by a flat battery on the board?

I've opened it up and had a look, all seems fine with some slight corrosion around the pins, so id probably like to replace anyway before it leaks and wrecks the board.

I suppose what Im asking is, is this likely to be the cause of my error, and being a soldering novice, how easy is it to desolder and resolder a new battery on? Also, will the game programme be ok following battery replacement?

Ive also heard about replacing the battery set up with a coincell holder, mounted away from the board, which makes sense in the fact that its easier to replace and also less chance of it wrecking the board if it leaks. Is this something that anyone has done before? and if so how easy is it to do?

Thanks for any help, Im away from home at the moment but I can upload some pictures at the weekend if needed. 

Cheers 

#2 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

Coincell batteries are generally ok.

If its saying no id chip it sounds like someone has changed the mpu5 board and you have one with either the wrong chip on or no chip.

These chips can not be copied, so you would need another board from the exact same machine basically.

#3 Tommytheslug

Tommytheslug

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:57 AM

ah ok, well after a while it asks for the date, and when I enter it it wont save, it just resets and asks for date again.

after a little while and a few presses though it boots up no bother and plays perfectly

#4 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:03 AM

Is that with doors open or closed?

#5 Tommytheslug

Tommytheslug

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

bottom door is open for free play, but it works with doors closed too with coins

#6 fruitsnappa

fruitsnappa

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1304 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:27 PM

I would try leaving it on for a little while and see if it charges battery any. Failing that get battery changed. Although if its giving Character err theres probably some sort of damage.

#7 Tommytheslug

Tommytheslug

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:54 PM

ok fruitsnappa cheers, I had it on for a good 5hrs the other night playing on it, and it never skipped a beat. 

What is the characteriser? It has an ID chip in place and seems to be correctly inserted (in line with other pictures of the same board)

#8 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:59 PM

Its probably a dry solder joint, if it warms up and works.

Its a chip has a 4 digit code on it.

#9 Tommytheslug

Tommytheslug

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:27 PM

ahhh that sort of makes sense. I was getting confused when I was getting the error code, then the date would not store for a good few attempts before the machine just fires up and starts working fine.

Ive ordered a new battery for the programme card, and will order one for the MPU5 board itself too. Ive never used a soldering iron since school though so I may need to get some help with replacing them.

It sounds like everything is as it was when manufactured then, (ie no DIY jobs where boards and stuff have been replaced to try and fix the error) I just need to sort this 36-52 error code now.

Thanks again for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users