Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Project Amber - The Release Thread. (At Long Last)

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#201 ploggy

ploggy

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2228 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Here are some I made earlier...Blue Peter stylee! :)  Pretty sure they're correct.  Load them into MFME to make sure though.

Two for Road Hog, and one for Crystal Maze.  Got bored and tried doing a few a while ago.  If anyone needs any more, let me know.  Quite like figuring them out.

Attached Files

This be my stuff ----------> http://www.fruit-emu...wnloads&mid=301

#202 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Cheers ploggy!

Iirc you are using WIn XP. Cup final works fine for me in MFME except that there is a buzzing sound in the background (Win 7).

I believe there are only 128 lamps. Games like andy capp have the small extender but usually the extender is only the chase lamps (Think police in road hog, or Flo in Andy Capp). As this is a trail to end board with no chase, there should be enough lamps without an extender.

With MFME or Amber, when you put in a new BWB CHR you should reset the machine at least, might be worth saving and reloading the layout.

Basically the BWB CHR setup happens very early on in the machine code. I haven't had a single CHR error for cup final with the layout you sent.

Also just how slow is Amber on your machine (MPU4)? I've been wondering about getting better speed out of MPU4 lately.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#203 ploggy

ploggy

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2228 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

MPU4 runs really sluggishly on mine, mate.  Like 40% at what it should.  Scorpion 1 is about 95%.  I'll need to load them again and check.

The PAL error on Cup Final normally happens when you go into back door mode and use the freeplay test.  Then when you go back to normal door closed mode, the error kicks in.  If you don't use the test mode it's normally fine.

EDITED TO ADD:  Just loaded up Blues Boys, and Showtime Spectacular, and these are the results:

Blues Boys
MHZ: 1.25 - 1.35
FPS: 18

Showtime Spectacular
MHZ: 2.00 - 2.10
FPS: 10

Edited by ploggy, 11 July 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#204 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

MPU4 runs really sluggishly on mine, mate.  Like 40% at what it should.  Scorpion 1 is about 95%.  I'll need to load them again and check.

The PAL error on Cup Final normally happens when you go into back door mode and use the freeplay test.  Then when you go back to normal door closed mode, the error kicks in.  If you don't use the test mode it's normally fine.

Yeah that's an MFME bug I think. I had the same problems early on with mine. I had to put a check in to see if the program reset internally (like when you open/close a door.) It will also mean you need to reset the ram once its all set up correctly, a few test plays with a dodgy CHR could be enough to add loads and loads to the compensator.

Its worth noting that an any internal reset will likely throw out the CHR. So a coin alarm, reel alarm, door open/close, percentage key alarm. If you manually reset the layout via Ctrl+R before it internally resets then it should be fine.

#205 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

EDITED TO ADD:  Just loaded up Blues Boys, and Showtime Spectacular, and these are the results:

Blues Boys
MHZ: 1.25 - 1.35
FPS: 18

Showtime Spectacular
MHZ: 2.00 - 2.10
FPS: 10

If you disable autospeed on SS and run it at 40fps, what speed does it drop to?

#206 ploggy

ploggy

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2228 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

You can't disable 'Auto' speed on the version I'm using, mate (1.0147).  Don't know why.  The tick just stays there even when you try to un-check the box. 

Something else I've noticed on the latest version of Amber compared to the earlier versions.  On the latest version, I have to move the window when the emulator first loads up to see the splash screen with the credits, and where it says "Click to continue".  If I don't, I just get a black screen.

Here's a screenshot of SS running on mine in attract mode:

Attached Files

#207 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

I will have an updated version for you to try soon.

Can you do a test for me. What speed does Aladdins Cave/Frank n Stein/Any crystal game really run at?

I have found that the 6840 timer is really really laggy, and I am working on a new version. Crystal games don't have second timer on the Sound Card and they tend to run faster than Barcrest/BWB's on my machine. You may well find early machines will run faster too (synth games like tuppeny cracker etc).

The timer has been untouched since just after FMEF was converted to Project Amber because it works. But I now realise that its so laggy that it can be done much more efficiently.

I have started writing the new timer but it could take a while to get it right. The 6840 has a lot of modes to account for.

#208 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

stick me down for a tester m8

#209 ploggy

ploggy

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2228 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Crystal MPU4 is a lot faster.  Here's a screenie!

Attached Files

#210 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Crystal MPU4 is a lot faster.  Here's a screenie!

Yeah, I am hoping that the new 6840 code will fix other games to around that speed.

Edited by Guitar, 12 July 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#211 niallquinn

niallquinn

• Contributor
  • 723 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for the updates Guitar, glad things are still coming along.

NQ.

#212 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Here are some I made earlier...Blue Peter stylee! :)  Pretty sure they're correct.  Load them into MFME to make sure though.

Two for Road Hog, and one for Crystal Maze.  Got bored and tried doing a few a while ago.  If anyone needs any more, let me know.  Quite like figuring them out.

Cheers for those. The £6 BWB CHR was spot on.

MPU4 now has new timers, and had an oki chip bug fixed. MPU4 speed has now doubled for OKI based games on my machine.

System 83 and MPU3 will now get custom 6840 timers to match their connection spec.

#213 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

A little update for those following.

Thanks to Ploggy helping me test an updated version of the emulator, MPU4 is now running at roughly the same speed as other techs, regardless of sound setup.

Volume Mute on Ctrl+M now works again.

S10 Token Mechs can now be added.

Mars Mech setup has been standardized on all techs.

Scorpion 1/2 Switch setup has been changed to make switches easier to identify. If you hover over switches in the IO Viewer it will display the corresponding MFME switch number.

A bug in triac lamps has been fixed.

System83 and MPU3 have been fixed and are now working save for a few missing components. MPU3 needs meter setups adding, and System83 needs options added to allow switches to be assigned. As its an older tech, the switch matrix isn't the usual style so I might have to get imaginative, we'll see.

MPU4 is having options added to allow for single LEDs instead of segments for games such as Viva Las Vegas or Monte Carlo.

The new Statistics screen is 50% working, just needs finishing.

A sorting algorithm is being worked on to allow for different game sorts in the game manager. So you can sort alphabetical by name, or by tech, or by year, etc.

I need to add the option for Serial/Parallel/BCO coin mechs as only parallel is supported at the moment.

After that is done and tested, I will release the new version with a full installer. Some existing layouts will be unsupported and will require a re-release for compatibility purposes. I will help with any necessary upgrades and get existing layouts working again asap. Mostly its just a few switch and coin mech options need resetting. Once the layout has been saved in the new emulator it should be fine after that.

There MAY also be a surprise coming with it too. Let the speculation begin...

#214 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

Well done guitar, thanks for the update. You saying MPU3 now works completely. I may have to have a go at a layout.

Go on then, I'll have a go at saying the surprise, is it SRU?

bj

#215 stuart

stuart

• New Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

All a good read Nick, sounds like some good progress has been made.

You mentioned MMM tech  -  I have an MMM machine here if it's any use when the time comes.   It was fully working until recently but it seems to have developed what I think is a board fault recently.

Stuart

#216 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:50 AM

Well much like System83, we have the full workshop manual for MMM machines, so it can be done, there's no reason it cannot be done.

The biggest hurdle is the lack of a Decent z80 core in VB. So one would need to be written and that takes time.  If someone can find a useable pre-existing z80 core, or wants to write one, let me know.

If not then I'll add it to the never ending to do list.

At the moment I am going through the 6800 (and derivitive) based games. Once those are done, then the next logical step is the z80 based stuff, which would include Proconn, MMM, Electrocoin Hi Tech, System 80?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users