• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

The site rules don't enforce this and it's difficult to make someone post even a thanks, unless it could be automated in some way. What do you do if a member has supported the site with a donation.

Any decent member will post a thanks if they have downloaded something for free. I don't download every single layout but if I do I always make sure I post a thanks.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#2 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:35 AM

I think it ought to be the rule that zero posters are not allowed to download at all. At least then they are forced to make a post before they can leech!

In fact without this, I will seriously reconsider whether MFME can be hosted here at all.

We tried that for a while, and all it did was cause a load of morons to post complete sh**e or question repeatedly when they could download.

#3 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:39 AM

Might be time to open up mfme.co.uk Wizard ;)

J

#4 Wizard

Wizard

MFME Creator

• Regulars
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

We tried that for a while, and all it did was cause a load of morons to post complete sh**e or question repeatedly when they could download.

Well the answer to that is simple, posting complete sh*te will result in a ban, and adding a clause to the T&C's regarding when they can download.

Anyone would think you are avoiding the issue here tbh

Edited by Wizard, 18 December 2017 - 12:04 PM.

Warning: This post is mostly my own opinions and may contain irony, if you are obsessed with PAST history you may want to ignore it.

#5 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Well the answer to that is simple, posting complete sh*te will result in a ban, and adding a clause to the T&C's regarding when they can download.
Anyone would think you are avoiding the issue here tbh

Yes, if I’m honest I’m avoiding most issues that don’t directly relate to my cancer treatment.

#6 Wizard

Wizard

MFME Creator

• Regulars
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

Yes, if I’m honest I’m avoiding most issues that don’t directly relate to my cancer treatment.

Perhaps you should consider selling up so you can give 100% to that?

Warning: This post is mostly my own opinions and may contain irony, if you are obsessed with PAST history you may want to ignore it.

#7 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

@chasbons I wonder what this place would be like if there were NO downloads.  You know people had their own places to download from like DxCellent and DIF...... interesting.

Very quiet I'd imagine, but I didn't say anything about no downloads.

@Geddy. Without downloads the site would simply fade over time. Like you say, DXcellent has his own download point as does DIF. Not too sure, but do these guys allow their layouts to be uploaded here?

Anyway I've just been an effing leech since I got into fme in 2002, I'm only here to get stuff for free

J
Well done Reg!

J

Sorry where did I say you were a leech?

I said it made you as bad as them (in my book, which is just my opinion), meaning for condoning what they do, NOT for doing it yourself!

Whether you arrived here in 2002 or this year is on no consequence , my answer would still be the same.

I think it's 100% wrong that people just come here for what they can get for free, without posting as much as a 'thanks'.

#8 Wizard

Wizard

MFME Creator

• Regulars
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

Alex,

Please remove all previous versions of MFME from the downloads section apart from v5.1

I have also sent you a pm in case you miss this thread

Edited by Wizard, 18 December 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#9 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

Alex,

Please remove all previous versions of MFME from the downloads section apart from v5.1

I have also sent you a pm in case you miss this thread

It's upto yourself what you do regarding the Mfme emulator, but please don't be to hard on aaamusements as read in a previous topic he hadn't been that well recently and let's be fair it's not his fault the members on here 99% can't type one word unless they want something!!
just remember if it wasn't for him a few years back there'd be no fruit-emu!!
I'd say drop this for now and maybe we can bring it back up in the new year.
Bring in some changes regarding download rights etc

Edited by vectra666, 18 December 2017 - 02:19 PM.

The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#10 ritdav

ritdav

• Regulars
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

Can i make a suggestion.

MFME should only officially be available from one sight that ideally doesn't have layouts on it with each download being assigned a unique serial code and each user can only download once / will always be that serial number.The site doesn't necessarily have to be free.

Anyone who uploads here is given the option of whom to make layout available to eg over 20 posts or bronze donator or better or just to everyone up to the layout creator.It would be really clever if that unique serial number could find its way onto the layout as well so it would be fully traceable.

Finally there always seems to be a lot of guests on this website if that is genuine make it harder for them to see anything.

#11 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

Of course layouts etc could be uploaded to the VIP section on here, (accessed only if your a donator etc if I remember rightly)
then after say two weeks they get " unlocked" by admin to the main releases but only members whom have made say 20posts in the three month prior to its release can obtain them, then after a further two weeks (so approx one month after initial release) it gets unlocked further to the wider public

Edited by vectra666, 18 December 2017 - 02:35 PM.

#12 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

Of course layouts etc could be uploaded to the VIP section on here, (accessed only if your a donator etc if I remember rightly)
then after say two weeks they get " unlocked" by admin to the main releases but only members whom have made say 20posts in the three month prior to its release can obtain them, then after a further two weeks (so approx one month after initial release) it gets unlocked further to the wider public

I can see so many problems with that suggestion it's unreal... Can you remember an old member got his own forum with only invited or vetted people gaining access?  It led to more bad blood and the layouts got leaked to all n sundry anyway.  Lots of effort for nothing really.

#13 ritdav

ritdav

• Regulars
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

not really anyone part of the scene will have access and its up to the view of each layout maker how to handle it.I I imagine most will only have one layer what vectra666 is proposing is at the extreme end of access but of course if thats what he wants for his layouts thats up to him.

#14 Neophyte

Neophyte

• Regulars
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

i cant help but get the feeling this scene really has a deathwish, there's only a few hundred of us as it is, ill say it again, this place can be quite daunting and sometimes quite acidic,

im not a big forum poster and never have been, yes i donate and would help out if i had the ability to do so. i will hit the like on the layouts i download, and i have posted thanks to all in other threads.

imo the fact a download is popular that should be thanks enough alone, i know if i released a layout that got 5 downloads and one that got 100 i would be pretty damn happy with the one that got 100 :p

but again locking things down in certain ways will just loose us more members not gain. This scene has been on life support enough.

i will continue to do as i have done and i hope more people can get involved but forcing is not the way!

Thanks 

Simon

#15 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

Congrats on getting to over 100 Subscribers .... one day the YouTube Silver button? 👍🏻
  • Reg likes this
Posted Image

#16 Reg

Reg

DONE AND FINISHED

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:08 PM

Congrats on getting to over 100 Subscribers .... one day the YouTube Silver button?

Thank you and no... ...100 was hard enough, now I've got to keep 'em !

#17 stardust

stardust

Daryl

• Regulars
  • 720 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

Perhaps you should consider selling up so you can give 100% to that?

Despite what others may think about getting an emulator release... that statement is wrong on so many levels and not even worthy from any member of FME 

#18 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

I can see so many problems with that suggestion it's unreal... Can you remember an old member got his own forum with only invited or vetted people gaining access?  It led to more bad blood and the layouts got leaked to all n sundry anyway.  Lots of effort for nothing really.

It was just a suggestion of course it'll never happen.
Back to the thanks Situation, you're never going to get a 100% thank rate! I was thinking earlier, dxcellent doesn't have or has wanted any thanks on pooks site but does he mind?
Probably not like myself it's nice to get a thanks for a layout or three and it gives myself great satisfaction knowing people appreciate my work its even better when the likes of retro arcade show case them on YouTube
but it's not mandatory but I expect pook like myself do this for a hobby, but I do feel members Should get more involved and not just take,take, take.
I for one have always been involved since I joined in 2010/11, whether thats a good thing or not only members will know.
That's why I stated a six month post count at least newbie members would post very similar to what the Mecca and Dad's do! Maybe a member cull is what's needed like dadsfme does annually?

#19 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

You are really a despicable lump of shite Chris Wren!

Yes, myself and Alex don't exactly see eye to eye on a number of things, but one thing I will most certainly NOT do, is kick a guy when he's down!

#20 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

It was just a suggestion of course it'll never happen.
Back to the thanks Situation, you're never going to get a 100% thank rate! I was thinking earlier, dxcellent doesn't have or has wanted any thanks on pooks site but does he mind?
Probably not like myself it's nice to get a thanks for a layout or three and it gives myself great satisfaction knowing people appreciate my work its even better when the likes of retro arcade show case them on YouTube
but it's not mandatory but I expect pook like myself do this for a hobby, but I do feel members Should get more involved and not just take,take, take.
I for one have always been involved since I joined in 2010/11, whether thats a good thing or not only members will know.
That's why I stated a six month post count at least newbie members would post very similar to what the Mecca and Dad's do! Maybe a member cull is what's needed like dadsfme does annually?

A simple solution is just don't release something at fruit emu if you disagree with the 'no post' download policy.   

It's a little different for Wizard, coding an emulator is a totally different skill set, I can see it from his point of view after he has spent such a vast amount of time working on it for someone to just download it without as much as a simple thanks especially when it's free.

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users