Online Arcade

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mikeyposh11

Mikeyposh11

• Regulars
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

I might be way off here, but years ago, when emulation first came out, even before hand, I always wanted to do something, and it wasn't until just now, I though I'd ask, in case it might be possible.

So I have selected machines available to play via an emulator, which I can anytime of the day, but this is what I wanna do -

Have them on a server of some kind, where guests or registered members can play them, or something close to that. For example, I've just hammered 1 of the DOND's, my brother, from his house, logs on, and plays the same machine, unknowing I just caned it, loses on it, and so on..... 

Is such a thing possible,  and if so, where would I start? at a guess, this ent possible, other than Teamview or something, program, where they log onto my PC, but I wanted it more generically if that makes sense.

Call me sad, but I've all my machines into sub folder, DOND's, Under £3 JP's etc... and in an ideal world, (as Keegan would say) I would love it, if I could create such a thing, or anything remotely close to it

Thanks in advance

Mike

#2 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

It is possible and has been done, via guitars project Amber it ran very successfully, whether mfme eventually goes online live is another question, I do hope one day it does as amber's online element was the future of Fme and we had great banter with the chat rooms and it felt like the emulation was more real than it is now.
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#3 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

It's an idea that a few members have had but nothing as far as I'm aware is currently in development. It is something I would like to see. The basic principle would be that the machines RAM file would be stored online and fetched by the player , and reuploaded when the game is exited. Then the next player will download the new RAM file automatically when they open that particular game. So it will play on from the last player. When a game is being played it will have to be locked so no one else can play the same game at the same time. I have toyed with the idea of creating this myself but worried my programming knowledge doesn't quite stretch to everything involved with this. Mostly the security element of it. I may still have a dabble if no one else picks it up

#4 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

A friend of mine wants me to help him build a mfme cab like I have done. We said we would link those up in a similar way remotely so we could play the machines after each other from where the other left off. I must admit it's an idea I'm itching to see.

#5 mazza500

mazza500

FME Supporter

• Regulars
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

A friend of mine wants me to help him build a mfme cab like I have done. We said we would link those up in a similar way remotely so we could play the machines after each other from where the other left off. I must admit it's an idea I'm itching to see.

If you really want to do it without much work then setup a dropbox, play the machine, upload the ram. The other player downloads the ram plays it then uploads when done. Can be done quickly with the drag and drop app so no mucking around. Just let each other know when you are playing a certain machine so that the other one doesn't overwrite it etc. 

#6 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

I'd want it to automate it I think. I could program something that did that but it wouldn't be secure and could be easily manipulated . Not a problem between friends but not for a program everyone could use

#7 Mikeyposh11

Mikeyposh11

• Regulars
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

You guys have given me a glimmer of hope that maybe 1 day this might be a reality :)

Many thanks for all your feedback

#8 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

The newer SC5 machines would need the ram & gam files, as the encryption key is stored in there.

Could be done via dropbox on a basic level, but then that can't stop 2 people playing the same layout & forcing it locked.

#9 ross

ross

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

i have created something like this already (user arcades with the ram being shared per machine locked per player) but having all projects i have ever done (fme wise) fall flat on its ass i didn't bother going public and instead used it as a learning tool for work.

i do have ideas for a ram share type thing though with the fmedb but again thats not going very well either.

#10 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:00 PM

Nice one Ross. I have started writing down how I think I could make a RAM share style thing you have mentioned work. I am going to see how far I can get with it, but at my own leisure as there is a good chance I'll come unstuck with it as my programming knowledge is intermediate at best. Not sure the best way to go with it yet, but usually I develop it as I go. Main problems I see are security wise.

eg. Stopping people 'hacking' into the online RAM storage, stopping people being able to RAM reset a machine and re-uploading the RAM, and seeing the meters, so they can basically see how much has been in/out of the particular machine (Maybe stop the meters working for this project). That sort of thing. I'm sure there are PLENTY of other issues, but I'll discover them along the way

Edited by No1Stoney, 03 December 2017 - 10:01 PM.

#11 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:23 PM

Good luck with this, something I’ve banged on about since early 2000’s. Guitar accomplished this with his Project Amber, and it was a game changer for me, more realistic in terms of where the machine is % wise, like stepping into an arcade and playing.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users