Epoch MPU maygay pcb board repair

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 philmccavity1

philmccavity1

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

Hi all, hoping someone can help me here... I have a number of Epoch MPU boards which I'd like some advice on.

Firstly, aside from the obvious track issues due to battery leakage, does anyone have any pointers on what needs to be changed on these boards to get them up and running again? I'm determined to resurrect at least one board and will replace every single component if necessary but would like any help possible with testing/identifying where the problem lies. And does anyone have a legible schematic for this board?

#2 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:07 PM

Good luck.

They suffer damage to multiple components, through holes and the tiniest of tracks around and under the processors.

They were not designed to be repaired, they were designed as throw away boards.

#3 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

• Regulars
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

A company called Maggi and Maggi repair boards, might be worth enquiring for a price.  http://maggielectronics.co.uk/

#4 philmccavity1

philmccavity1

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

Thanks guys, much appreciate any help here. I've got all the tools at my disposal at work so would love to know where to start. Anyone have a schematic? I know there is one in the technical manual but I only have a copy and this isn't legible. Does anyone know whether the original is?

Also, can anyone tell me what exactly needs to be fitted to the board to test whether the processor is booting, i.e. RTC chip, security chip, ROMs etc...? Speaking of which, does anyone have a source for the boot security chip? It's a pain to keep swapping them over and I've already lost a leg!

#5 barcrest junky

barcrest junky

• Moderators
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:45 PM

Anyone have a schematic? I know there is one in the technical manual but I only have a copy and this isn't legible. Does anyone know whether the original is?

All copies I have ever seen of the schematics have come out poorly defined and illegible.

#6 philmccavity1

philmccavity1

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

Has anyone got an original Maygay Technical Manual and can confirm whether the one in there is legible?

#7 unclechicken

unclechicken

Professional Slacker

• Regulars
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:31 AM

Is this the right thing?

http://www.jwarburto...e/Maygay_El.pdf

And here an Epoch one of The Italian Job, with some pcb schematics

http://www.fruitmach...om/?page_id=518

Edited by unclechicken, 18 October 2017 - 01:34 AM.

#8 philmccavity1

philmccavity1

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:38 AM

Yes, I have that same copy, page 12 is the schematic of the MPU board but it is ilegible. Need to find someone with an original to determine whether you can actually read it.

#9 philmccavity1

philmccavity1

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

That was a big hint people... does anyone have an original Maygay technical Manual??

#10 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

Bigger hint ... no replies generally means no!

#11 philmccavity1

philmccavity1

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

Mavros have you ever seen one? I'm sure I saw a post the other day from years ago where you were asking the exact same question lol

#12 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:51 AM

I have seen one, i don't have one...

#13 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Mavros have you ever seen one? I'm sure I saw a post the other day from years ago where you were asking the exact same question lol

You are probs referring to the general tech guide for the Elegance cab, which is widely available via a Google search..... this is as good as you will get.

#14 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

I was referring to the epoch mpu schematic.

#15 philmccavity1

philmccavity1

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

The one widely available is a very rough copy of an original (heavily compressed), I just wondered whether anyone had or has seen an original that could verify whether the schematic in it is legible. I have seen original manuals for sale on ebay so someone out there has one!
The bigger picture is that I plan in the longer term to remake this board so a schematic would save me a load of hassle.

Edited by philmccavity1, 22 October 2017 - 09:17 PM.

#16 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

Only other route, is contacting DJP / Onestop in Derby (Near the police station), whom made these boards for Maygay.

#17 philmccavity1

philmccavity1

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the help, although I'm pretty sure I've tried them in the past and got nowhere.

On the plus side, I had a really close look at one of my non-working boards today and found that more than half of the legs on the two sides of the processor closest to the battery were just floating on a bed of crystaline solder so hardly surprising this one won't boot! Will resolder them tomorrow and see how she fares :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users