Photo

Will fruit machines ever go back to the golden days?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

I've not been in a bookies in a long while but I know that all the classic fruities of the past seem to be rapidly disappearing.

Fruit machines nowadays seems to be either DOND ones or those one's with screens and ridiculously high jackpots.

To me, those type of machines favour your hardened gambler as oppose to just your spur-of-the-moment punter.

It would be great if bandits went back to their roots a bit and we could get new machines that used todays technology but had the class and fun of yesteryear.

We've had a resurgence in old vinyl records, and old styles of mobile phones (the 'new' Nokia 3310 is just out)... I just wonder if we'll ever have updated versions of Andy Capp, Italian Job etc.

*Edit* - realised this should really just be in the normal fruity section of the forum as it's not MFME related. Could a mod please move it and delete this. Thanks (and sorry for the inconvenience) :)

Edited by uptown47, 01 August 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#2 Wizard

Wizard

MFME Creator

• Regulars
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

In answer to your thread title, no

Warning: This post is mostly my own opinions and may contain irony, if you are obsessed with PAST history you may want to ignore it.

#3 ricardo de ponsa

ricardo de ponsa

Man Of Science

• Regulars
  • 1110 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

I agree. No. Let's not get too misty eyed about the past, it wasn't that great. However, probably better than what we have now!!!!

Don't come round and steal my Cheerios !!!!

#4 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

It will never happen as long as the government and gaming companies keep raking in the profit and taxes, the less people play the higher the stake/jackpot to entice more people to become addicted to the filth that's out there today, at least one good thing though we can play today's shite for free, well almost today's shite at least upto 2013/4.
But you may remember the 'good old days' as enjoyable gambling, but I bet you lost the same in today's money back then, I know I did and more. And I get the bad times out weighed the good by at least 100/1.
Did we get value for money though, hell yes!!!! Lol.
Those times are long gone,
let's keep remembering them within the great emulators of mfme and co!
All hail the great wizard of fruityland!!!!

Edited by vectra666, 01 August 2017 - 11:20 PM.

The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#5 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:26 PM

NO

Follow us on facebook http://www.facebook....131728946893342
www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#6 barcrest junky

barcrest junky

• Moderators
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:16 AM

It's all perspective.  The machines I like to play are deemed simple and boring by players of more modern machines.  

#7 thecodfather

thecodfather

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:48 AM

Never going to happen, as others have said, way too much money to be had from governments and manufacturers. All of these people only seem to care about is profit and margins etc..

I rarely play modern games at all now because the are so mind numbingly boring. I have a £70 jackpot machine which I don't play because there is no fun to be had at all!!

Vectra has a great point, value is key. I remember back in the day having £50 on my hip and that could last all day, that would go down the pan in a few minutes now! Agreed that it is all relative and £50 was loads back then but at least I got a days entertainment out of it if I lost the lot, which was very rare to be honest!

That is why I am hoping to get these MFME builds finished so I can have the good old days back. Thanks to the scene for making it possible!!
poker

#8 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

Nope, would be nice to see some of the old names reappear though, like Andy Capp appear on a modern day machine.

Of course there are still a few retro fruity places and the odd gem can still be stumbled upon.

Perhaps like the interesting machines on Ebay thread on The Mecca, we could have a interesting sightings thread with locations that members know or discover old fruitys to play. Say anything pre 2000.

#9 monk3yboy1985

monk3yboy1985

• New Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

A good place to go if you like a sandy beach and an arcade full of pre 2000 and post 2000 barcrest etc etc is dymchurch 3 arcades although the fun fair arcade only has about 20 machines or so they changed the rest to ticket machines with crap prizes like most big arcades nowadays be warned though some have more bulbs out than are working.

Can't speak for the over 18 area though I was banned from that area when the 500 s16 games were introduced and I dropped £500 the first day the machine went in so they banned me from that area.

IMO that was the worst thing they ever did as I always started with a few quid on the £5 jackpots and worked my way up to the bigger jackpots now once I get to £50-£60 quid I leave and stick 2 fingers up knowing I would have lost it years ago on the bigger jackpots.

Good luck if you go there

#10 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

Not sure if you guys have been following the "Fruit Machines Inside Out" thread I started, but as someone who started out as a player, and has been in gaming for 20 years now, I can say with authority: don't blame manufacturers. Seriously - we're 100% on the players side (as we're all players ourselves!).

The blame lies almost solely with pub companies. They are the ones who buy machines, and faced with a clientele who prefer to drink coffee and not beer, as cashbox revenue declined, they wanted to keep the same £ coming in week after week, and so they basically told us to reduce the % or else. When this didn't work, in tandem they lobbied government to increase the jackpot and stake.

Of course, this creates the perfect storm of 78% payout and £100+ jackpots - you're never going to win it!

I agree things have got very stale with DOND games, but the fact is, the death of the reel based AWP started a long time ago and as much as we try to innovate, you can't do much with 78% of the stake to return and a 100:1 jackpot. Won't work.

So, no, you won't ever see the "good old days" because society is changing, pubs are changing and people prefer to play online where 96% RTP is the norm and beer from a supermarket is cheap.

Please have a read of the FMIO thread in Real Fruit Machines for a proper read up and discussion with some other industry people. As I said, the vast majority of us are/were players. We're on your side, believe me.

#11 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

I've not been in a bookies in a long while but I know that all the classic fruities of the past seem to be rapidly disappearing.

Fruit machines nowadays seems to be either DOND ones or those one's with screens and ridiculously high jackpots.

To me, those type of machines favour your hardened gambler as oppose to just your spur-of-the-moment punter.

It would be great if bandits went back to their roots a bit and we could get new machines that used todays technology but had the class and fun of yesteryear.

We've had a resurgence in old vinyl records, and old styles of mobile phones (the 'new' Nokia 3310 is just out)... I just wonder if we'll ever have updated versions of Andy Capp, Italian Job etc.

*Edit* - realised this should really just be in the normal fruity section of the forum as it's not MFME related. Could a mod please move it and delete this. Thanks (and sorry for the inconvenience) :)

no, the stake prize ratio of a 10p play £3 jackpot (or 30/1) is far lower than £1 £100 (100/1)

cat c lite or cat d is the nearest at 50/1 but their all lo-tech or DOND machines.

A good place to go if you like a sandy beach and an arcade full of pre 2000 and post 2000 barcrest etc etc is dymchurch 3 arcades although the fun fair arcade only has about 20 machines or so they changed the rest to ticket machines with crap prizes like most big arcades nowadays be warned though some have more bulbs out than are working.

Can't speak for the over 18 area though I was banned from that area when the 500 s16 games were introduced and I dropped £500 the first day the machine went in so they banned me from that area.

IMO that was the worst thing they ever did as I always started with a few quid on the £5 jackpots and worked my way up to the bigger jackpots now once I get to £50-£60 quid I leave and stick 2 fingers up knowing I would have lost it years ago on the bigger jackpots.

Good luck if you go there

Mark Woolls and his dire range of machines?    what planet are you on?????

Of course, this creates the perfect storm of 78% payout and £100+ jackpots - you're never going to win it!

so a 72% club machine like cops and robbers will NEVER drop a jackpot??

i think your wrong. otherwise they would never get played.

#12 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:01 PM

In answer to your thread title, no

Succinct and yet accurate as always Wizard lol. :)

Not sure if you guys have been following the "Fruit Machines Inside Out" thread I started, but as someone who started out as a player, and has been in gaming for 20 years now, I can say with authority: don't blame manufacturers. Seriously - we're 100% on the players side (as we're all players ourselves!).

The blame lies almost solely with pub companies. They are the ones who buy machines, and faced with a clientele who prefer to drink coffee and not beer, as cashbox revenue declined, they wanted to keep the same £ coming in week after week, and so they basically told us to reduce the % or else. When this didn't work, in tandem they lobbied government to increase the jackpot and stake.

I agree things have got very stale with DOND games, but the fact is, the death of the reel based AWP started a long time ago and as much as we try to innovate, you can't do much with 78% of the stake to return and a 100:1 jackpot. Won't work.

So, no, you won't ever see the "good old days" because society is changing, pubs are changing and people prefer to play online where 96% RTP is the norm and beer from a supermarket is cheap.

Please have a read of the FMIO thread in Real Fruit Machines for a proper read up and discussion with some other industry people. As I said, the vast majority of us are/were players. We're on your side, believe me.

I've seen some of the thread. Been looking forward to sitting and having a proper read all the way through. The bits I've read have been brilliant! :)

no, the stake prize ratio of a 10p play £3 jackpot (or 30/1) is far lower than £1 £100 (100/1)

cat c lite or cat d is the nearest at 50/1 but their all lo-tech or DOND machines.

Mark Woolls and his dire range of machines?    what planet are you on?????

so a 72% club machine like cops and robbers will NEVER drop a jackpot??

i think your wrong. otherwise they would never get played.

I don't think he was saying that would "never" drop a jackpot. He was just explaining that it is obviously a lot less likely.

#13 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

They opened a new arcade near me recently and i went in for a mooch , very rarely do i play the machines nowdays ....

Walked about pointing at every machine , shit , shit , shit , shit , hmmm shit but worth playing ... shit , shit...

So out of about 30 machines , 2 were half decent .. Im kinda glad in a way that all they bring out is crap these days , it keeps me out the arcades.

The only time i play machines these days are on a trip to the coast , and even then its usually full of Party Times with odd hi-tech'er thrown in thats worth a shot.

Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#14 evo1

evo1

• Regulars
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

Shame really,or is it?

Going back to the days when up by us in stoke the arcades was run by mr shipley he had about 7 arcades and the good thing was when you went in and spent a day in there with £30 or so and come out with a pocket full of tokens you could go back into one of the other arcades he owned as they all took the same tokens,so more fruits to choose playing on excellent days, as been said up above you didnt mind losing that £30 or so as you had a good days play. i can remember going in his arcades on a saturday only to find the place would be packed out not a machine available to play on good old days and thats why we are all here, isnt it? to remember them days.

On the other hand if it wasnt for these big stake machines coming into play i wouldnt of give up,you only have to walk passed mr shipleys arcades now they seem to be empty all the time, mr shipley must of seen what was coming and got out, as his arcades was entertainment venues with bingo for the old ladys to but sold to silvers and while machines didnt seem to pay like they use to crap now and it well never change

#15 slasherx2

slasherx2

• Regulars
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

I have to say, I agree much with edwardb - pubs demanding flatter profiles is what's killing it. Also the jackpot increases are daft. 

Sure, I think it can just about be done with £100 jackpot, but any more and we are royally screwed.

The issue as I see it, we have had fair machines, but pubs demanding flatter profiles, so manufacturers have had to tighten their games up more. That's all fine but in order for the next machine to do well, it also needs tightening, sometimes more so than the last!

I think DOND The Big One hit it bang on. I hate the game myself, but it worked. There are occasional repeats, players can play them, joe casual can fluke a jackpot or a 50 quid prize without much effort.

#16 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:41 AM

Personally I want to see a legal minimum 86% (possibly even 90%). That extra 14p a spin gives you a lot more scope to make games play better. But for reasons I said above, it won't happen.

#17 slasherx2

slasherx2

• Regulars
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:47 AM

Higher percentage would also be fantastic! Some digitals do have their analog converts on higher percent I notice.

Edited by slasherx2, 03 August 2017 - 11:47 AM.

#18 wayne123

wayne123

none - going

• Regulars
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

So, on the basis of flat profiles - nearly unachievable jackpots - do you think they will eventually disappear ?

#19 wayne123

wayne123

none - going

• Regulars
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

Just met with a pubco general manager and she said with one supplier of machines, they can tell if the machine is on - and level of the hoppers?, even with analogue machines - is this true do you think?

#20 davie

davie

• New Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

a just dont understand how u can bring £100 donds out with maximum win of £25  on the game if you get lucky f*****g shocking tbh. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users