Fruit Machines Inside Out: Compensation

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 Twostroker

Twostroker

• Bronze Supporters
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

How does the jackpot frequency get determined and how does changing the frequency effect awards?

#122 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

How does the jackpot frequency get determined and how does changing the frequency effect awards?

Depends entirely upon how the jackpot is saved up for (if at all). Say you have a JP "pot" and you put 10% of your stake (after taking your payout % away) in. Well, divide the jackpot value by the amount you put in the pot per spin, and there's your jackpot frequency.....

But then we used to save up possibly multiple jackpots, or have multiple pots, one paying for jackpot + repeats, and/or single jackpots. There really are 101 ways to do it.

Also remember that if your main compensator/pot gets too high (owes the player money), you can drop in jackpots to bring the machine back towards even. 

Lo-tech games generally worked quite differently to hi-tech AWPs. Bar-X style games had many different pots to pay for wins of different sizes/streak/etc, whereas a pub AWP might have had just 2 pots, main and jackpot.

It all depends on the game and what you're trying to achieve.

Hope that helps......it might just confuse you more!

#123 Twostroker

Twostroker

• Bronze Supporters
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

That does help a lot it's all good to know, it is confusing but I suppose it has to be to confuse the players psychologically?

I like old scorpion 4 clubbers, these seem fairly hard to 'work out' there's the jackpot frequency hi - lo switch on the main board. I can understand why an operator might what to change the frequency due to what environment the machine is in e.g. local club or holiday park.

I dont really understand how it works or the numbers they are aiming at. I suppose these machines are working there % and pots over thousands of pounds where as some easy mpu5's ive played award jackpot at the first opportunity.

I like all these machines for what they are so it's always good to learn more about them and how they actually work

#124 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

No, there's never any psychological reasoning behind compensating a game in one way or another. It's just experience, going off of games that were popular and games that flopped.

Most fruit machine industry stuff is trial and error - and a hell of a lot of error, at that.

The old BFM clubs were great, and from memory (I could be wrong) I think they used to have a lot of compensators ("pots") - I think when we did Pacman Club (copy of Club Crazy Fruits) at Mazooma it had 12 or so. Lots of pots for smaller wins and a few pots for the big ones.

We used to play thousands upon thousand of manual games on a machine, with millions (if not tens of millions) of simulated plays on the same code - you can run it on a PC at warp speed. Look at the numbers, see how the game is playing, and tweak accordingly.

That's the black art of gaming. Any old muppet can make a game hit the correct % payout, getting it to play well is quite another thing.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users