Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

MFME cabinet build - the project begins.....

Best Answer No1Stoney, 05 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Coin Mech holder if you need one?

http://www.ebay.co.u...KoAAOSwONBZC7RO

Your coin chute should connect to the top of this, the mech sits on it and the holder can be screwed into your cab.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#101 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:30 PM

Right, here's another video showing the software.

Please be aware I've just done these videos off the cuff hence why they're a bit stilted and I have all the presenting finesse of Boris Becker. 

The software I'm using on my front end is called mGalaxy (http://www.mgalaxy.com/). It doesn't natively support MFME but it's a really easy fix to make it work (literally just paste a bit of text into an xml file).

I've bought mGalaxy (it was around £13 I think - just to support the developer a bit) which is why I've not got the standard 'blue' front (you get a few more colour choices if you buy it).

I've spoken to the dev and he's looking at developing a frontend design just for MFME which will be superb and also really help boost the profile of MFME.

So, hope you enjoy the video and let me know if you have any other questions. I'm not planning on doing any other videos (you'll be pleased to hear!) but if you have questions about a specific part of the build and it needs a video to help describe it then I'm happy to do more.

Cheers

John :)

#102 Andy2003

Andy2003

Fruity Veteran-ish

• Regulars
  • 249 posts

Donator

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:00 AM

Wicked stuff. That mgalaxy seems quite simple to sort. Quite like it.

Super stuff

#103 Reg

Reg

DONE AND FINISHED

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:17 AM

Wicked stuff. That mgalaxy seems quite simple to sort. Quite like it.

Super stuff

Yes, I used it ages ago for my keyboard as well - so easy to configure and simply brilliant.

Right, here's another video showing the software.

Please be aware I've just done these videos off the cuff hence why they're a bit stilted and I have all the presenting finesse of Boris Becker. 

The software I'm using on my front end is called mGalaxy (http://www.mgalaxy.com/). It doesn't natively support MFME but it's a really easy fix to make it work (literally just paste a bit of text into an xml file).

I've bought mGalaxy (it was around £13 I think - just to support the developer a bit) which is why I've not got the standard 'blue' front (you get a few more colour choices if you buy it).

I've spoken to the dev and he's looking at developing a frontend design just for MFME which will be superb and also really help boost the profile of MFME.

So, hope you enjoy the video and let me know if you have any other questions. I'm not planning on doing any other videos (you'll be pleased to hear!) but if you have questions about a specific part of the build and it needs a video to help describe it then I'm happy to do more.

Cheers

John :)

I've sent him some template on the bit I highlighted as well - back when I did this for my keyboard, I needed a better one then what existed so I could swtich between pinball / MFME so fingers crossed he will do this soon.  He's had an excellent template since March.

Looking at your video John, absolutely fantastic.

If we could take then in time back a few years, people would be knocking on your door to build them these - damn - I would.  I love what you've done here and this is a great inspiritation to us all based on the work from yourself and No1Stoney here.

One recommendation - this needs a highlight video - do another recording - but at night so we see the impact of the buttons being all lit up.

Great work mate - great work.

Also, how did you get MFME talking to the hopper for the payout - could you do a video showing that please ?

Edited by Reg, 06 August 2017 - 09:25 AM.

#104 niallquinn

niallquinn

• Contributor
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

Incredible stuff.

NQ.

#105 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

Yes, I used it ages ago for my keyboard as well - so easy to configure and simply brilliant.

I've sent him some template on the bit I highlighted as well - back when I did this for my keyboard, I needed a better one then what existed so I could swtich between pinball / MFME so fingers crossed he will do this soon.  He's had an excellent template since March.

Looking at your video John, absolutely fantastic.

If we could take then in time back a few years, people would be knocking on your door to build them these - damn - I would.  I love what you've done here and this is a great inspiritation to us all based on the work from yourself and No1Stoney here.

One recommendation - this needs a highlight video - do another recording - but at night so we see the impact of the buttons being all lit up.

Great work mate - great work.

Also, how did you get MFME talking to the hopper for the payout - could you do a video showing that please ?

Thanks for your kind words Reg.

Yep, I've just read your reply to the dev of mGalaxy. Hopefully, with both of us now mentioning it, he'll maybe put something together for us.

I'll do a video in the dark at some point for you to see it. :)

#106 Reg

Reg

DONE AND FINISHED

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for your kind words Reg.

Yep, I've just read your reply to the dev of mGalaxy. Hopefully, with both of us now mentioning it, he'll maybe put something together for us.

I'll do a video in the dark at some point for you to see it. :)

Thank you - I hope at some point you mean tonight ! :D

Serious question, the trim you used on the cabinet - would it work on the edging for my keyboard you think ?

If so, could you possibly post an eBay link to it ?

Attached File  Trim.jpg   113.69KB   0 downloads

#107 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

That keyboard is mighty impressive. There's something really futuristic about it that I like. 

The car trim is this stuff...

http://www.ebay.co.u...872.m2749.l2649

It's 18mm wide. I'm not sure what the width of your perspex is? It looks less than 18mm in the photo (maybe 12mm?). So there would be a bit of overhang.

If you just wanted to try a bit I could send you some. I've got a small cut off just on my desk that I could stick in the post to you if you want to see how it would look before you buy it?

Not sure if the video will be tonight as I've got some stuff on later but will see what time I get home :)

**** EDIT **** Just found this stuff... http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=391263510041

It's only 10mm? There's a 15mm too that I've seen so you should be able to get something suitable. (offer still open to send you this bit of 18mm though if you want)

Edited by uptown47, 06 August 2017 - 10:19 AM.

• Reg likes this

#108 Reg

Reg

DONE AND FINISHED

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

Thank you very much - the keyboard was based on Oric from Blake's 7, I simply had that in mind when making it.  This pic showed it the best ( http://www.desertisl...nt&comment=1205).

I am ok for the trim - but many thanks for the offer - if you had not found the 10mm version then I'd have jumped at the offer - but that will be fine.  I'd have scored yours down the middle to see how easily it folded over.

Again, great work on yours and this is no way meant to hijack what you've done asking about my keyboard - but its a common interest and what you've done will make mine better. :)

From a parts point of view - how much do you reckon you've spent, can you post a breakdown in costs ?

Your final solution is my next goal to having a virtual machine - I am trying to balance what is the best way to do this.  IE, do I buy a cab and strip it out or go with your solution here ?

Thank you.

#109 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:49 AM

Thank you very much - the keyboard was based on Oric from Blake's 7, I simply had that in mind when making it.  This pic showed it the best ( http://www.desertisl...nt&comment=1205).

I am ok for the trim - but many thanks for the offer - if you had not found the 10mm version then I'd have jumped at the offer - but that will be fine.  I'd have scored yours down the middle to see how easily it folded over.

Again, great work on yours and this is no way meant to hijack what you've done asking about my keyboard - but its a common interest and what you've done will make mine better. :)

From a parts point of view - how much do you reckon you've spent, can you post a breakdown in costs ?

Your final solution is my next goal to having a virtual machine - I am trying to balance what is the best way to do this.  IE, do I buy a cab and strip it out or go with your solution here ?

Thank you.

Hi Reg,

The total build was really expensive. It came in at just over £900 !!!! (Don't tell the missus as she'll go mental!!).

The monitor was £200 though. 

I've got a full breakdown of every part and the cost and supplier but it's at work. I'll be able to get it tomorrow when I'm in.

Andy2003 has built a cabinet based on a stripped out machine and, to be honest, I think it looks a lot better than the one I've made. 

If I was going to do it again then I would go down that route personally although there is something nice about building the whole thing yourself.

:)

Edited by uptown47, 06 August 2017 - 10:49 AM.

• Reg likes this

#110 Reg

Reg

DONE AND FINISHED

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

Just count her shoes and handbags - this would still leave you + £1,000's to spend on your side when you balance it up.

If you could post details that would be great.

It's so hard from a netural point of view to figure out what to do - when you go down a path you are going to be pretty much commited so it really is a case of think - plan - think - plan again for good measure and then action.

What is so cool about what you've done is we've seen the sheets of MDF and in such a short period of time you've built your dream machine with I would guess not very much knowledge on how to do this based on initial planning.

Great work - great work ! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

#111 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

Just count her shoes and handbags - this would still leave you + £1,000's to spend on your side when you balance it up.

If you could post details that would be great.

It's so hard from a netural point of view to figure out what to do - when you go down a path you are going to be pretty much commited so it really is a case of think - plan - think - plan again for good measure and then action.

What is so cool about what you've done is we've seen the sheets of MDF and in such a short period of time you've built your dream machine with I would guess not very much knowledge on how to do this based on initial planning.

Great work - great work ! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Yep, it really is a case of "if I can do it, anyone can". I'm no carpenter that's for sure. It really just needs that initial step.

All I've used is basically a jigsaw, drill and screwdrivers. At least you're halfway there in that you've got a working keyboard already so the wiring will be easy for you.

But, you're right to mull it over properly before you commit to one way or the other. 

Will be looking forward to seeing your progress when you do make the plunge! :)

#112 Reg

Reg

DONE AND FINISHED

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

So the good news is I have just had the go ahead from the missus, but I am not allowed to have anymore then one room in the house with this in - so I get to build one.

Question please regarding the PSU, I am really just stating what I think is happening but for clarity.

You have the 12v PSU in the base running the PC / Monitor.

The power on button from the PC is wired from the case of the PC to the side, push for on / push for off.

Does this mean that the monitor is constantly on in power saving mode and just comes into life when the PC is turned on ?

Assuming this - if the PSU is unplugged, I guess the monitor turns itself off for good.  How are you managing the monitor, if that makes sense or is the whole thing just left plugged in on standby ?

#113 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

That's great news Reg! I'm out and about so typing this on my mobile so can give more info when I get home if you need but... there's a mains extension in the bottom that everything plugs in to (PC / monitor / 12vdc psu/ speakers). The mains extension plugs in to the wall. If the wall socket is off everything is dead. When the wall socket is on the monitor defaults to standby mode. And the red leds behind the pay in slot come on because the 12v psu comes on.

The little red button on the side turns on the pc. Which then brings the monitor out of stand by as it starts up.

Hope that helps :)

#114 Reg

Reg

DONE AND FINISHED

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

Perfect got it.  I was thinking everything hung off the 12v.  Ok excellent - yep - all there.

Thanks for tiding that up for me in my mind. :)

#115 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

Hi Reg,

You asked for a price breakdown... I've tried uploading / copying / pasting etc but it messes all the formatting to no avail so I've taken screenshots of my excel sheet and here it is....

Attached File  Image0.jpg   157.04KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Image1.jpg   166.32KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Image2.jpg   156.53KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Image3.jpg   155.87KB   1 downloads

Attached File  last.jpg   152.06KB   1 downloads

Total came to £978.95 !!! 

A lot of cash but hopefully I'll win it all back......  :D

• Reg likes this

#116 Reg

Reg

DONE AND FINISHED

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

Awesome  !!!!

Thank you very much - this is great info - many thanks for starting this.

If we get a section here I'll start to post my details, but I'll be covering it a little more at DIF as well.

My expenditure so far is £29.99 !

#117 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

It takes ages to go dark at the moment so the video will have to wait Reg but I've got a photo of it all lit up from when I was still working on it in the house.

Here it is :)

Attached File  IMG_2359.JPG   130.59KB   1 downloads

• Reg likes this

#118 evo1

evo1

• Regulars
  • 571 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

Excellent videos wasnt to sure on that colour but now seen it in video loving that glitter in the paint ,as for that auto nudge button up top on some classic games like Chances Unlimited,Hyper Viper,Line Up the auto nudge is up above, youve really done well there,you should be well happy with that. Please do keep the updates/fixes videos coming in. Love these videos

#119 Reg

Reg

DONE AND FINISHED

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

Excellent.  I am looking forward to starting mine soon.

I known I didn't participate in this thread much - but this has been so great to see it come from nothing to this. :)

#120 uptown47

uptown47

• Regulars
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

Excellent videos wasnt to sure on that colour but now seen it in video loving that glitter in the paint ,as for that auto nudge button up top on some classic games like Chances Unlimited,Hyper Viper,Line Up the auto nudge is up above, youve really done well there,you should be well happy with that. Please do keep the updates/fixes videos coming in. Love these videos

Thanks evo1. Surprised you like the videos considering the planning that went into them (none :D) but it'll be good if we get more from other members as they build their cabs.

Excellent.  I am looking forward to starting mine soon.

I known I didn't participate in this thread much - but this has been so great to see it come from nothing to this. :)

Can't wait for this build to start and see it progress! Would be a nice thing to play on over Christmas.... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users