Barcrest "Circle Skill" frustration

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

My vintage machine just won't play ball. I plug into the mains, lights up and that's it. No sound except hmmm. Coins and tokens just go straight through to tray. Rear panel open or closed no difference. Powered off and taken mpu3 out turned it on and no difference. Turned off and replaced mpu3 no difference. Any advice would be much appreciated! Cannot seem to get it to reboot, sanity needs to return ! Thanks everyone

#2 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

try a hi, and maybe a please help ?

*Added by Ady....Nails I think you need to read the original post again! "Any advice would be much appreciated!" and "Thanks everyone"  An apology to Skill wouldn't go amiss 

#3 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

Any advise much appreciated was placed in my text my friend. Why defensive stance? Funny response for request for help, not very friendly response, such a shame

#4 altharic

altharic

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:16 PM

Ignore Nails he is a tosser care to give us a little more information to go  on no corrosion on the board etc? Also you might have luck at the mecca www.fruitemu.co.uk plenty of experts on older machines there.

• ady likes this

#5 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:29 PM

Hello Altharic, thank you 😊.The machine is dusty and has metal casing over electronics? I'm a novice so have added a pic. It lights up, display all ***** no errors but nothing else happens. Just lights on. No button work, just a pretty electric light. Not even moving lights just fluorescent bulb. I did read about disconnecting leads which I have done systematically turning off and off as I go along with no success. The machine has been kept in the dry so no rust or corrosion. Do you have any advice or suggestions, thank you again 😊

#6 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:04 PM

Pictures attached if this helps, thank you 😊As you can see the circuit board has a metal cover over it but is all dry if not a tad dusty with few cobwebs for effect lol

Attached Files

#7 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:10 AM

WOW Good luck with this Skill, i'd kill to have that machine mate :)

#8 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:31 AM

This is a great machine, I had one many years ago but unfortunately the top glass was smashed. Wish I'd kept it and waited for a replacement glass to come along...

You really need to take the metal cover off the main board, it's very likely that the alkaline battery battery soldered onto it will have leaked and caused damage.

#9 slippery

slippery

Steve

• Regulars
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

Corrosion and dampness in the air are your worst enemy. The metal cover wont help at all. 

aaamusements is right,  sounds like the likely cause. Are you 100 % sure the MPU3 you replace is working ?

#10 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Corrosion and dampness in the air are your worst enemy. The metal cover wont help at all.  aaamusements is right,  sounds like the likely cause. Are you 100 % sure the MPU3 you replace is working ?

#11 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

Hello thank you for your replies, I'm not sure if mpu3 working. I left the power on this morning and a number 3 appeared at one end of screen but when turned off and on again it all vanished and no change hmm I will take off metal cover and see what I can find. Thank you again is the battery easy to spot? Kind regards SC

#12 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

Hello thank you for your replies, I'm not sure if mpu3 working. I left the power on this morning and a number 3 appeared at one end of screen but when turned off and on again it all vanished and no change hmm I will take off metal cover and see what I can find. Thank you again is the battery easy to spot? Kind regards SC

It will probably be green, but quite likely blue, and say Varta on it.

#13 slippery

slippery

Steve

• Regulars
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

So what you are saying is that you could have 2 faulty mother-boards ? If so these are like hens teeth ( rare) please dont dispose of the boards as they can be fixed. 

#14 slippery

slippery

Steve

• Regulars
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

ahh my bad when you stated "replaced mpu" i thought you had replaced with a diffrent one .. oops

#15 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

Hi I have taken out complete motherboard and it is a small blue battery no corrosion just dust but will replace it anyway as got to it. All looks very clean tbh thank you again for help, much appreciated 😊 I'm guessing it's an eBay job for battery as unlikely to get one in high street hmm lol

#16 altharic

altharic

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

Some pics of the battery and board would assit.

#17 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

Hello. Please see pic attached, hope that helps. Cheers 😊

Attached Files

#18 shaun2097

shaun2097

• Regulars
  • 993 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

Hello. Please see pic attached, hope that helps. Cheers

i think you will need to post a pic of the MPU 3 mainboard, where u removed the battery from.....need to see if any damage to the tracks has occured or not.. :)

nice machine BTW. :)

Edited by shaun2097, 05 May 2017 - 04:52 PM.

Former Fruit Machine Engineer.<br /><br /> 1988-2004.

#19 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

Hello. Please see pic attached, hope that helps. Cheers

That's a blue one, so it could still have gassed out and corroded the board... it's certainly not shiney.

#20 Skill Circle

Skill Circle

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

Hi, guess it is a 33 year old battery? 1984 so it won't hurt replacing it. Motherboard looks ok. I have replaced all the fluorescent tubes and starters. Want it to be back to its old self. I seen a video on you tube of working one and it looks fab reminds me of my school days in the local youth club lol 😊 Happy days

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users