23 replies to this topic

#1 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

Ok so everyone has been banging on about this for years now and im a little jealous as im pretty 99.9% sure i have never had it.

But here is the thing, my mate recently caved and used one of the PPI companies to do the work knowing he had never had any, but to his shock 15 weeks later he gets a letter with a cheque for  £4,812 !

How is this possible?  Is it his mistake that he must of had some or their mistake?

Has anyone here been successful and got any back? Is it worth trying even if your sure you never had any?

Im confused  lol

Follow us on facebook http://www.facebook....131728946893342
www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#2 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

Around 3 years ago, i claimed £5000ish back from Natwest, seemingly from the beginning of time and also £2000ish for ppi i had on car finance through Right Car. I don't remember the exact figures.

I did it all myself and won. Natwest rolled over instantly, right car put up a fight, but through the ombudsman i was successful.

You need to know the banks and account numbers you have had over the years or i think you can still ask them to do a search for you , but time for ppi claims is limited now.

If your friend received £4800 from a ppi claims company, you can bet they kept around £2000-£2500 for the service.

You have to prove you were forcefully or unwittingly mis-sold it or they have to prove you wasn't.

The technicality i had on the car finance was i hadn't been with my employer at the time more than 6 months... They said i had, they couldn't prove it but obviously i sent the ombudsman an official letter with my start date... Case won and closed.

#3 gemini17

gemini17

GOLD Supporter

• Regulars
  • 1751 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Ok so everyone has been banging on about this for years now and im a little jealous as im pretty 99.9% sure i have never had it.

But here is the thing, my mate recently caved and used one of the PPI companies to do the work knowing he had never had any, but to his shock 15 weeks later he gets a letter with a cheque for  £4,812 !

How is this possible?  Is it his mistake that he must of had some or their mistake?

Has anyone here been successful and got any back? Is it worth trying even if your sure you never had any?

Im confused  lol

Hi

It is confusing but sadly many creditors added PPI to policies without the borrower knowing!

So hence it could well be on many loans,credit cards and mortgages without the borrower having prior knowledge.

Ive helped a lot of friends to get there PPI back as many companies out there charge 30%+ to recover the money.

Martin Lewis's site has the templates for the letters etc.

Just one thing to remember (to those thinking of claiming after reading the post)-If anyone has been made bankrupt or had an IVA plan in place then claiming PPI will only result in the claim going to the Official Receiver.

Otherwise get a claim established-One of my friends received in excess of £20,000.-Happy Days

Jay

Edited by gemini17, 12 April 2017 - 03:55 PM.

#4 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:09 PM

Hi,

Yeah my friend did lose 25% + VAT  of his claim but didnt care as he wasnt expecting anything and had to do sod all for it, same as me TBH im happy for them to take 25% of anything im due because im 99.9% certain i have never had it either.

It still amazes me that they have records that far back ( was told 1989 one of his was from )  If i let a company do it i will either get 0 with no fees   or 75% of what im due  im ok with that  saves me farting about  lol

But he's still convinced they have made and error and he didnt have it, how likely is that they have made an error?

Edited by fruitman69, 12 April 2017 - 05:11 PM.

www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#5 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

If they have made an error and he didn't have it, i reckon the PPI claims company could be liable to repay the amount to the said bank when audits are performed.

Tell him not to spend it until he is sure. Has he told the company (in writing) that he is convinced someone has made an error and he never had PPI? This may cover him is the amount is reclaimed by the bank.

Why did he try to claim if he was convinced he never had PPI?

Make sure you get a company that doesn't charge you if you start the process with them and you never had PPI. Several companies i believe are now starting to charge for the service as a time limit has now been put on new claims.

#6 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:32 PM

I've received a refund of ppi for a loan with NatWest and a loan and credit card from Egg (who sold out to Barclaycard).

I didn't have to do much. I was written to by both NatWest and by Canada Square for the Egg ppi,saying I had ppi and may have a claim and ask me to explain why I didn't need/agree to it.

My claim was based on the fact I never needed it, because my job pays full sick pay and redundancy, so it would never have paid out.

While it could be argued I shouldn't have accepted it, it should never had been offered when I explained my job benefits. Therefore it was missold, as I wasn't either asked to find if it was suitable or still sold it after explaining about my job benefits. I'm sure we've all had people telling us about great insurance benefits, then find we couldn't use them or we had suitable cover already.

I know some people who went via a claims company, if you do, find the one who's going to cost you less.

I agree moneysavingexpert is a great site for finding info and templates. You could also ring the companies you've had finance with to send you forms.

If it's all to daunting and/or seems a lot of hassle, then go via a company, after all 2000 out of 3000 is better than nothing.

#7 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

If they have made an error and he didn't have it, i reckon the PPI claims company could be liable to repay the amount to the said bank when audits are performed.

Tell him not to spend it until he is sure. Has he told the company (in writing) that he is convinced someone has made an error and he never had PPI? This may cover him is the amount is reclaimed by the bank.

Why did he try to claim if he was convinced he never had PPI?

Make sure you get a company that doesn't charge you if you start the process with them and you never had PPI. Several companies i believe are now starting to charge for the service as a time limit has now been put on new claims.

Well thats not gonna happen  hes spent it all already  lol within a week it was gone, sounds bad but he did clear some debt with it from what he told me.

He claimed even tho he was sure he hadnt for the pure reason what you got to lose?

My gut feeling is that they wouldnt pay out a claim if there wasnt PPI paid so he must have had it without knowing, which is a clear case of being mis-sold anyway i guess.

www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#8 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

If it's all to daunting and/or seems a lot of hassle, then go via a company, after all 2000 out of 3000 is better than nothing.

Yeah my thoughts exactly, i will probably use the same people as him if i do it,  25% + VAT and no fee if I dont have a claim or dont win a claim. nothing to lose that way.

www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#9 ricardo de ponsa

ricardo de ponsa

Man Of Science

• Regulars
  • 1110 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

A guy rung me the other day asking if I had a problem with PPI ???

I said No, I always wear goggles when I use the Public Swimming Pool!!!

Don't come round and steal my Cheerios !!!!

#10 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

PPI I thought that was some kind of sexually transmitted infection until they told me a bank may of sold me it lol.
I've never had PPI or any sexually transmitted infection.
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#11 bri365

bri365

Master Joker

• Regulars
  • 724 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:20 PM

Got a phone call a while back asking if I had ever had PPI, replied "yes I had it this morning whilst pissing with a hard on". Long pause, then told I was a twat then they hung up.

Come here to post jokes, oh and to play the occasional frutie.

#12 gemini17

gemini17

GOLD Supporter

• Regulars
  • 1751 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:43 PM

Yeah my thoughts exactly, i will probably use the same people as him if i do it,  25% + VAT and no fee if I dont have a claim or dont win a claim. nothing to lose that way.

It real depends on the amount you are claiming.

The best way is to use a company called the Claims Guys-they do the donkey work and if you are successful(with your ppi claim)-then you can either pursue the claim yourself or get them to sort the claim out at a similar fee as above.

If my friend had have used a company to get her 20k+ she received,it would have been in excess of 4k in charges and interest,

By using any company you are throwing away 30p in every £1 which I would never part with,when its my money i'm pursuing.

Jay

#13 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

My father in law did this through Barclays they had a team about 2 years ago that did it for free all he had to do was signs some forms to give permission to do all the leg work and look into all his previous loans and finance,

about 4 months later he got a cheque for just over £22k which he was quite happy with but then another 2 months later got another cheque for £4k which was for another loan at some point then finally 3 months later got the final one which was for about £5k

they took no fee's and he was given a full breakdown of what and why for each payment, the big payment was for a loan he had over 25 years ago for about £1k but due to the interest times 25 years plus compensation on top the amount was just over £22k

my partner also did this herself using a form online and she filled everything out and sent it off and she got back £1k from a £900 load she had out 12 years ago.

#14 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:13 PM

It real depends on the amount you are claiming.

The best way is to use a company called the Claims Guys-they do the donkey work and if you are successful(with your ppi claim)-then you can either pursue the claim yourself or get them to sort the claim out at a similar fee as above.

If my friend had have used a company to get her 20k+ she received,it would have been in excess of 4k in charges and interest,

By using any company you are throwing away 30p in every £1 which I would never part with,when its my money i'm pursuing.

Jay

did look at them ( claims guys ) and they are 30%  so  25% is cheaper  and  i really doubt im due anything so i really dont care if they take there cut for the legwork to be honest.

If by some miricle im due even 600  im happy with the 450 ish i would get  :)  its still money i wouldnt of had.  :)

www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#15 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

I've received a refund of ppi for a loan with NatWest and a loan and credit card from Egg (who sold out to Barclaycard).

I didn't have to do much. I was written to by both NatWest and by Canada Square for the Egg ppi,saying I had ppi and may have a claim and ask me to explain why I didn't need/agree to it.

My claim was based on the fact I never needed it, because my job pays full sick pay and redundancy, so it would never have paid out.

While it could be argued I shouldn't have accepted it, it should never had been offered when I explained my job benefits. Therefore it was missold, as I wasn't either asked to find if it was suitable or still sold it after explaining about my job benefits. I'm sure we've all had people telling us about great insurance benefits, then find we couldn't use them or we had suitable cover already.

I know some people who went via a claims company, if you do, find the one who's going to cost you less.

I agree moneysavingexpert is a great site for finding info and templates. You could also ring the companies you've had finance with to send you forms.

Steve had the same results from the same people albeit Natwest was slightly different, he called in and spoke to a girl about checking for PPI and she took his details and they did the rest, he got a letter a few weeks later advising him of what he was due and he queried it (in a phone call because it seemed too much) they looked again and offered £400 MORE and a few days later the money was in his account, just shy of 8k :)

Barclaycard wrote to HIM regarding the EGG card he once had (he'd actually forgotten about it as he only used it a couple of times in 6 months and I made him cut it up cos I hate debt!  He'd cleared the small balance in that time which never went above £300 at any time.  He wasn't expecting much if anything back and on the last day of the time scale they have to sort it, he got a call with the outcome..... £2844.73!  Which was in his account in three days. The majority of this being interest from 2003 to now!

Not a bad outcome for just calling into Natwest and asking the question, and filling the form which unexpectedly came in the post from Barclaycard.

It really is much easier to claim than most people think, so why people are prepared to pay someone else potentially 1000's of pounds for doing so little, is beyond me.

#16 I have finished

I have finished

I will never finish in FME here!

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

It's just a load of old tosh in my opinion, see it every time on TV. It's fake counterfit cold calling, I get it all the time. Either PPI, or, "Have you been in an accident that's not your fault?" I just say, "You have, good bye!" And cut them off. As in, their accident was finding my number. However, going back to the topic in hand, it was probably your mate not knowing anything about PPI, I mean, we may have it too, but we can't trust the cold calling and all that rubbish at the minute. How do you know that the number that called is genuine if it's been withheld? We also had a lot of calls, "Your computer has a virus, we will show you how to get rid of it." This was said in a foreign accent, and again we just hung up. I know my computer's protected using Mallwarebytes.

#17 gemini17

gemini17

GOLD Supporter

• Regulars
  • 1751 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

Steve had the same results from the same people albeit Natwest was slightly different, he called in and spoke to a girl about checking for PPI and she took his details and they did the rest, he got a letter a few weeks later advising him of what he was due and he queried it (in a phone call because it seemed too much) they looked again and offered £400 MORE and a few days later the money was in his account, just shy of 8k :)

Barclaycard wrote to HIM regarding the EGG card he once had (he'd actually forgotten about it as he only used it a couple of times in 6 months and I made him cut it up cos I hate debt!  He'd cleared the small balance in that time which never went above £300 at any time.  He wasn't expecting much if anything back and on the last day of the time scale they have to sort it, he got a call with the outcome..... £2844.73!  Which was in his account in three days. The majority of this being interest from 2003 to now!

Not a bad outcome for just calling into Natwest and asking the question, and filling the form which unexpectedly came in the post from Barclaycard.

It really is much easier to claim than most people think, so why people are prepared to pay someone else potentially 1000's of pounds for doing so little, is beyond me.

Agree with your last point.

I would give no company a percentage of any amount that was my money.

That said we all live different lives with different agendas and clearly some of us have more money than others.!

I am owed just short of 25k in PPI but sadly due to my bankruptcy in late 2009 i would get nothing,as it would all go to the Official Receiver.

So I refuse to claim it for it to go to a corporate firm.

I can't repeat this enough(To all those reading who may be making a new claim)-If you are a discharged Bankrupt/have been on an IVA any PPI due to you will go straight to the Official Receiver and you will receive nothing but a conformation letter.

People have received cheques for 10's of thousands in error and have then foolishly spend the money only to then receive a summons to repay the money back to the Insolvency practice.

But if you have not been made bankrupt/had an IVA and have had any loans,credit cards,mortgages,catalogue accounts,store cards or any other form of credit then what have you to lose to apply-nothing other than a few pence on a call or a stamp!

Jay

Edited by gemini17, 13 April 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#18 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

It's just a load of old tosh in my opinion, see it every time on TV. It's fake counterfit cold calling, I get it all the time. Either PPI, or, "Have you been in an accident that's not your fault?" I just say, "You have, good bye!" And cut them off. As in, their accident was finding my number. However, going back to the topic in hand, it was probably your mate not knowing anything about PPI, I mean, we may have it too, but we can't trust the cold calling and all that rubbish at the minute. How do you know that the number that called is genuine if it's been withheld? We also had a lot of calls, "Your computer has a virus, we will show you how to get rid of it." This was said in a foreign accent, and again we just hung up. I know my computer's protected using Mallwarebytes.

It's just a load of old tosh in my opinion, see it every time on TV.

Hardly, when people have had £1000's back from these companies, they are businesses trying to make money and good luck to them if people can't be arsed do do a bit of work for themselves.

Either PPI, or, "Have you been in an accident that's not your fault?" I just say, "You have, good bye!" And cut them off. As in, their accident was finding my number. However, going back to the topic in hand, it was probably your mate not knowing anything about PPI, I mean, we may have it too, but we can't trust the cold calling and all that rubbish at the minute. How do you know that the number that called is genuine if it's been withheld? We also had a lot of calls, "Your computer has a virus, we will show you how to get rid of it." This was said in a foreign accent, and again we just hung up. I know my computer's protected using Mallwarebytes.

A totally different kettle of fish, most if not all 'had an accident' calls are a con, best thing to do is tell them to f**k off and block their number, if you HAVE had an accident surely you'd put a claim in yourself and get ALL the money you're due rather than have these people take a %age.

Computer calls, usually someone apparently from Microsoft head office, who's got a really dodgy accent and supposedly called Dave (like Microsoft head office would ring people's homes) telling you that your PC has a virus, should get the same action as above imho!

I know they must get a 'bite' now and again or they wouldn't continue with these calls, but really do they think not get sick of being told where to go?

#19 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

Agree with your last point.

I would give no company a percentage of any amount that was my money.

That said we all live different lives with different agendas and clearly some of us have more money than others.!

I am owed just short of 25k in PPI but sadly due to my bankruptcy in late 2009 i would get nothing,as it would all go to the Official Receiver.

So I refuse to claim it for it to go to a corporate firm.

I can't repeat this enough(To all those reading who may be making a new claim)-If you are a discharged Bankrupt/have been on an IVA any PPI due to you will go straight to the Official Receiver and you will receive nothing but a conformation letter.

People have received cheques for 10's of thousands in error and have then foolishly spend the money only to then receive a summons to repay the money back to the Insolvency practice.

But if you have not been made bankrupt/had an IVA and have had any loans,credit cards,mortgages,catalogue accounts,store cards or any other form of credit then what have you to lose to apply-nothing other than a few pence on a call or a stamp!

Jay

I've never been bankrupt and therefore have no knowledge of what happens, would I be wrong in thinking that you stay bankrupt till you have paid off all your debts?

If so then wouldn't claiming PPI then passing it on to the Official Receiver lessen your debt and get you free from bankruptcy sooner, or doesn't it work like that?

#20 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

I never thought I would be entitled to it, because I knew it was added, but most people don't read multiple pages of terms and conditions and in a lot of case, shoved under your nose to sign and whisked away quickly, or even signed electronically for them,

The more I thought about it, the more, I thought, yeah, they knew I had full sick pay, redundancy etc..., but still pushed it for me to have added, saying if you go off sick we cover your wages etc...failing to mention, oh but if you get sick pay, you wont get it paid out.

Getting back just over 10k, was certainly not to be sneezed at, so certainly worth pursuing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users