• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 zakkieboy44

zakkieboy44

• New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:05 PM

Hi,

i've been lurking in the MPU scene for a while, and to be honest in the 10 years or so, I'd thought it had died a slow death :(

Many years ago I had my PC and even a HP TC1100 and the EMU (of the time) trying to recreate the gambler 'buzz' without the risk!

ahh memories..... :cute:

Anyway, MFME 5! WTF! - didnt expect that! (but thanks to all those that made it happen!)

So, fast forward 5+ years and we now have cheap windows tablets flooded the market with full touch screens ready to give me that 'buzz' I was after all those years ago!

Soooo.......its time for some new kit - what do you guys use or suggest I get?

Im thinking a small (7, 8 or maybe a 10") tablet (Linx?) that is just for the fruities, nothing more! - Do I need 1080p? I'd need a 64GB SD minimum for sure (I purchased the roms last year - maybe worth a new set?)

What would you buy? Whats the best deal atm? Should I just grow up?

:D

Zak

#2 ross

ross

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

i got one of these for fme on the go:

https://www.amazon.c...words=chuwi hi8

battery life isn't great but the screen is perfect.

#3 zakkieboy44

zakkieboy44

• New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:18 PM

Cheers Ross, just clicked the link and got 

Your Amazon Prime Membership will expire on 18 December 2016 and you will stop receiving Prime benefits.

Damn you Amazon and your corporate lack of Xmas spirit!

That said......£85 on amazon warehouse... delivered friday.... hmmmm... VERY tempted!

:D

#4 DAD

DAD

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:29 PM

I got a Lynx 7 a couple of years ago for about £40.  Bit small for FME but works fine, especially the touchscreen in MFME V.  Maybe go for a larger screen and something a little more powerful.

#5 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

I play FME on a surface pro 4 and it's great with just a couple of small downfalls, when you just have touchscreen, such as when you need to hold down all the hold buttons for instance, when a machine is going to do a respin and you want to keep the reels.

I didn't buy it for FME, but obviously the more you spend the better you're going to get, but for most there is no need to spend more than a couple of hundred and it is 99.9% perfectly playable.

#6 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

Just bought one of these since my laptop broke, hope its ok for fme.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

#7 shaun2097

shaun2097

• Regulars
  • 993 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

right then, here goes.....

i bought a microsoft surface pro 3 i7 tablet this month, just to play mfme v5 on.

MFME V5 ran ok, but only on standard layouts....MPU 4 VIDEO...(MPU4V)...not so good. played very, very slow.

its mpu4 video im interested in running. i know the are problems running the mpu4v games, but i do have copies of the released mpu4v layouts in their proper scaling and not stretched, so this sorts the "slowdown" and sound break up problems that others have experianced. the i7 cpu in the tablet is much newer generation (haswell) than the 1st gen i5 cpu on my shitty laptop. my laptop plays them flawsley, yet the newer i7 tablet still struggled to run them??? and if i ran on battery, it almost stops. even normal layouts slow down, its obviously somthing to do with the power profile within windows. i set everything, cpu and gpu, at full tit, but this was quirky at best.  I changed some system variables (grub-boot64eif) to turn off all thermal throttling of the cpu, at firmware level. (the mfme was hitting around 69-71 degrees, and the firmware was throttling the cpu at 70 degrees by default. i changed it to 80 degrees by default.) this helped a little (no throttle) but not by much.

i had bought the tablet on ebay and so i returned it for a refund.  (£450)

So then i bought a DELL VENUE 11 PRO 7139 tablet on ebay (i got one for £199. bargain!) again this tablet had a newer generation cpu than my 1st gen i5 laptop cpu. it has a i5 4000y cpu, 4gb ram, 120gb ssd. this tablet suffers the same heat/throttle/slowdown problems the surface pro above had. i did the same fix to stop the thermal throttle and wacked up everything when running on battery or mains.

RESULT! everything now runs ok, other than the mpu4 video layouts are still a little slow, but i can live with that.

normal layouts run 100%.

i have decided to keep this tablet. it excells at "normal" tasks.

i fix mobile phones now days, and the place where i work has quite a few ATOM powerd tablets kicking around. on every one i tried (from the oldest to the latest generation ATOM CPU,) none of them ran the MFME V5 at a "playable" speed. infact, any of the ATOMS over 2yrs old, didnt really "run" at all. 2mins for one spin of the reels.

Im not saying that would be everyones experiance with an ATOM powerd device, (not all tablet makers are equal, and the ones we sell are cheap tat)

in fact, a guy who runs a computer shop next to mine (hes also a member on these forums)has had some sucess with a newer ATOM powerd tablet, but not at the speed i would like to spend too long playing on (he has a newer atom tablet coming this week. ill update when i find out what it is/how it performs)

BTW...all other MFME  (3.2 etc) emulators run totaly fine on the top 2 tablets, but ive not tried them on the ATOM tablets.

so, to sum it all up......my shitty old 1st gen i5 toshiba laptop runs mfme v5 fine (inc MPU4 VIDEO)...........even better that an i7 surface pro 3 tablet! (go figure a!).....tablets are ok for a quick spin if u dont mind a little slow down.......

i hope my above experiance in finding a tablet worthy of MFME V5 helps you decide in getting one. (or not)......TBH..im still looking for such a tablet!......:)

****im sure other people have got it working ok on their tablets. im just a fussy old git. :)******

Former Fruit Machine Engineer.<br /><br /> 1988-2004.

#8 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:08 PM

Doesn't sound too good lol.
Will see when It comes.
My crappy old laptop from windows vista days played mpu4 video classic layouts fine and the 1440Dx of Miami dice.

#9 zakkieboy44

zakkieboy44

• New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

Thanks to all the replied, sorry for the late response - i've been out hunting... hunting for kit that will give that ultimate gambling experience.... :)

being in IT, I got my hands on some play toys, plus I ordered the chuwi hi8 which arrived today, so a busy weekend ahead!!!

Thanks to those that offered suggestions/experiences - its quite sad that a 2nd hand gambler on ebay is the same price or less as the bits of kit we play MPU on...

Surface 4 is too much for my shallow pockets to stretch too, plus to be honest I think im looking for something 8-9" in size - but if you send me yours I will confirm! ;)

Venue 11, these are too heavy for me, I have a couple at work - they are good bits of kit (Keyboard are expensive, but dock is very cheap) - but I fear arm ache would be a problem....

This weekends toys to get W10 on, and tested are:

• Chuwi Hi8
  • Linx 7
  • Linx 10
  • HP Pavilion x2

I appreciate Im going to get limited mileage from these mobile, power friendly, performance non-friendly devices...but maybe.... just maybe.... :D

Any suggestions on 'taxing' roms/layouts?  :cute:

#10 zakkieboy44

zakkieboy44

• New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:57 PM

right then, here goes.....

i bought a microsoft surface pro 3 i7 tablet this month, just to play mfme v5 on.

MFME V5 ran ok, but only on standard layouts....MPU 4 VIDEO...(MPU4V)...not so good. played very, very slow.

its mpu4 video im interested in running. i know the are problems running the mpu4v games, but i do have copies of the released mpu4v layouts in their proper scaling and not stretched, so this sorts the "slowdown" and sound break up problems that others have experianced. the i7 cpu in the tablet is much newer generation (haswell) than the 1st gen i5 cpu on my shitty laptop. my laptop plays them flawsley, yet the newer i7 tablet still struggled to run them??? and if i ran on battery, it almost stops. even normal layouts slow down, its obviously somthing to do with the power profile within windows. i set everything, cpu and gpu, at full tit, but this was quirky at best.  I changed some system variables (grub-boot64eif) to turn off all thermal throttling of the cpu, at firmware level. (the mfme was hitting around 69-71 degrees, and the firmware was throttling the cpu at 70 degrees by default. i changed it to 80 degrees by default.) this helped a little (no throttle) but not by much.

i had bought the tablet on ebay and so i returned it for a refund.  (£450)

So then i bought a DELL VENUE 11 PRO 7139 tablet on ebay (i got one for £199. bargain!) again this tablet had a newer generation cpu than my 1st gen i5 laptop cpu. it has a i5 4000y cpu, 4gb ram, 120gb ssd. this tablet suffers the same heat/throttle/slowdown problems the surface pro above had. i did the same fix to stop the thermal throttle and wacked up everything when running on battery or mains.

RESULT! everything now runs ok, other than the mpu4 video layouts are still a little slow, but i can live with that.

normal layouts run 100%.

i have decided to keep this tablet. it excells at "normal" tasks.

i fix mobile phones now days, and the place where i work has quite a few ATOM powerd tablets kicking around. on every one i tried (from the oldest to the latest generation ATOM CPU,) none of them ran the MFME V5 at a "playable" speed. infact, any of the ATOMS over 2yrs old, didnt really "run" at all. 2mins for one spin of the reels.

Im not saying that would be everyones experiance with an ATOM powerd device, (not all tablet makers are equal, and the ones we sell are cheap tat)

in fact, a guy who runs a computer shop next to mine (hes also a member on these forums)has had some sucess with a newer ATOM powerd tablet, but not at the speed i would like to spend too long playing on (he has a newer atom tablet coming this week. ill update when i find out what it is/how it performs)

BTW...all other MFME  (3.2 etc) emulators run totaly fine on the top 2 tablets, but ive not tried them on the ATOM tablets.

so, to sum it all up......my shitty old 1st gen i5 toshiba laptop runs mfme v5 fine (inc MPU4 VIDEO)...........even better that an i7 surface pro 3 tablet! (go figure a!).....tablets are ok for a quick spin if u dont mind a little slow down.......

i hope my above experiance in finding a tablet worthy of MFME V5 helps you decide in getting one. (or not)......TBH..im still looking for such a tablet!...... :)

****im sure other people have got it working ok on their tablets. im just a fussy old git. :)******

You're a more patient man than me! Im looking for as close to PnP as I can get! 

#11 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

What does v5 run like on your chuwi hi8?.

My linx 1010 be here monday or tuesday.

#12 shaun2097

shaun2097

• Regulars
  • 993 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:29 PM

I'm keen to see how those tablets u listed perform......i look towardto the reports......:) I would also like a pnp tablet solution! :) very much so! Lol. :)

This weekends toys to get W10 on, and tested are:

• Chuwi Hi8
  • Linx 7
  • Linx 10
  • HP Pavilion x2

I appreciate Im going to get limited mileage from these mobile, power friendly, performance non-friendly devices...but maybe.... just maybe.... :D

Any suggestions on 'taxing' roms/layouts?  :cute:[/quote]

Edited by shaun2097, 16 December 2016 - 09:32 PM.

#13 shaun2097

shaun2097

• Regulars
  • 993 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

Ignore my previous post. I typed my reply mid - quote, and I can't see how to delete it. :(

Edited by shaun2097, 16 December 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#14 zakkieboy44

zakkieboy44

• New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

Im still installing/updating - any suggestions on ROMs that are more taxing for a device so I can benchmark some real life tests?

According to Geekbench 4, the CPU in the Chuwi Hi8 is pretty poor....

#15 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

Mpu4 video and donds

#16 shaun2097

shaun2097

• Regulars
  • 993 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:04 PM

Mpu4 video and donds

I agree....
The red hot poker or monte carlo or bust layouts with the scaled up display would be brutal enough! ;) (mpu4 video)

Edited by shaun2097, 16 December 2016 - 10:07 PM.

#17 zakkieboy44

zakkieboy44

• New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:17 PM

I dont want to turn this into the longest thread ever...but...my testing so far (Mega DOND) - The HP doesnt seem to like multiple screen presses - i.e - pressing cancel to slow down and then pressing start....

Hi8 however had no problem with this..... but neither will go 'full' screen.....

will look for red hot poker...  URLs would be appreciated :)

PS. Can someone help with a location (maybe FTP) of all DX's & ROMS to save me going in the loft/ each and every release?

Edited by zakkieboy44, 16 December 2016 - 10:21 PM.

#18 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

I think it will struggle with the dx's especially the red hot poker one.

Attached Files

#19 zakkieboy44

zakkieboy44

• New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

ok, downloaded the ROMS above - will feed back in an hour or so

The lack of storage on the these tablets has really been a pain... Windows 10 Anniversary edition is a long process with limited storage....

Linx 7, HP, and Hi8 all ready to try some testing....

#20 zakkieboy44

zakkieboy44

• New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:14 PM

I think it will struggle with the dx's especially the red hot poker one.

Both the HP and Hi8 play these OK, a slight slow down at times - and audio is crap.... but certainly playable...

other ROMs seem to run fine, ITG3 - Mega DOND, all work as expected.... but 8" screen might be a little too small... and the HP with its 10" is easier..... if not a tad slower....

maybe I could do a video side by side....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users