Can anyone scan machine glass?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 slasherx2

slasherx2

• Regulars
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

Is there anyone here who can scan glasses of machines?

I can obtain the glass for a lot of the more modern dond machines. Although not popular among old schoolers, these machines are being destroyed to use their cabinets for other machines and with them being dongle based machines, they'll probably not be around much longer.

Being in a position at the moment, I can get the glass and maybe the reel bands for the likes of dond golden game, triple dond, dond double chance, dond lucky streak, even some of the betcom games like paddy's payday. Also some older and rarer ones like the colour of money, things like banker rings twice, the new AL Murray etc

I know we can't emulate them yet and may even run into legal issues if we do, but nothing wrong with having the resources while we can?

#2 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

Cheers for the input slasher.

I have scanned a fair few glasses and it's not as hard as you may think (though time consuming 1st time-round)

All I had was an A4 scanner as most of us do. I got a Meter Squared Board (or a Yard Square board for those that voted out-of the EU...joke!! ;) ), and in the center cut a hole to the same size as the scanner case.

Place the 'cut-out' over the scanner and get a nice snug fit....1st time I was filing bit's 'n pieces off the board, but it will get there.

Once you have a good fit you'll have the scanner surrounded by a big square of wood!....Get a nice straight rule and 2 clamps....then you are ready to go!

Now imagine the 'top' glass as 9 segments.

Place the glass on the wood/scanner contraption so you have segment FOUR covered, then clasp the rule with the 2 clamps...DO NOT MOVE THEM FROM NOW ON.

Scan that, move over do seg 5 and then seg 6..... then you should have the MIDDLE 3rd scanned.

You now need to do, 1,2,3,7.8 and 9 but there's a big gap!

I used to use the lower glass up against the rule to give a true line on the scan to allow 1.2.and 3 to be done if it was the right size, or several CD cases sellotaped together to foll the gap!

Then turn the glass and do 7.8. and 9....7.8.and 9 will be upside-down of course but all you need to do is flip the images 180 deg and they will be in line with the other 6.

Play about with the DPI you scan with, 30=40meg is usual.

Don't worry about an overlapped image....in fact DO an overlapped image.

#3 spa

spa

Layout Designer

• Moderators
  • 2494 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

Well worth getting scans if you can mate. Even high res photos of the glasses as a minimum would be useful. You can get some good light conditions just taking photos of glass, losing reflections etc.

Got to think of the future afterall :)

http://www.youtube.com/FruitVideos - My youtube channel

https://drive.google...R3ZTMTBIQTdwWUU- My Drive

#4 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

If time was an issue couldn't you just get overlapping scans that someone could use software to stitch together?

#5 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:04 AM

On the same sort of subject, The images I've been uploading from eBay and the net could anyone tell me if they look usable for future emulation, I mean I get the majority of the images copying n pasting on my tablet so just wondered if they're Ok as don't wanna upload poop if I don't have too!
cheers
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#6 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:46 PM

Don't worry about an overlapped image....in fact DO an overlapped image.

If time was an issue couldn't you just get overlapping scans that someone could use software to stitch together?

As I said already Alex, and it's on bold on my post too bud.

It's a necessity really as overlapping actually helps with stitching Ten-Fold. 

#7 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

Might get one of these to try out.   Cordless.

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B009VUGBWQ

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#8 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

As I said already Alex, and it's on bold on my post too bud.

It's a necessity really as overlapping actually helps with stitching Ten-Fold.

I'm afraid I have to admit that I lost the thread of it when you started planing bits of wood to size... It sounded very complicated!

#9 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

@Fusion I have one of those at home now never used.

well I actually have the ion copy cat handheld scanner, I could give it a try on something and see how it turns out and let you all know

#10 TommyC

TommyC

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2832 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

Sure i used adys scans for cash is king.they were scanned using the method what ady posted.Think i used the flyer for some of the red blue bits which don't come out well on a real image.

Hold the bells mate.

#11 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

i have scanned a few random flyers that i have from the group buy and used the high setting on the copy cat handheld scanner i have, I be honest i have had this for a while and never used it before.

as some of you might know i have bad hands at the moment so i tried my best to scan straight but i have uploaded these to my Mega account for anyone that wants to have a look and see if this will do the job required.

#12 Pook

Pook

More human than human.

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:13 PM

I must of done at least half a dozen DXs from Ady's glass scans which were quality, so whatever he says should be taken seriously.

dxspin.gif.1990cda2521f8b579dadc6cbba572

Click to visit my site.

#13 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:46 PM

I must of done at least half a dozen DXs from Ady's glass scans which were quality, so whatever he says should be taken seriously.

Thanks Dave, that means a lot to me.

I think the 'gadget' I made was a bit 'long-winded' as I described it earlier in the thread though lol

#14 slasherx2

slasherx2

• Regulars
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

Bloody hell that was effort. I'd forgotten my password haha!

Thanks for the input everyone.

I suppose I need to look for a flatbed scanner that works on Linux then!

#15 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:08 PM

i have scanned a few random flyers that i have from the group buy and used the high setting on the copy cat handheld scanner i have, I be honest i have had this for a while and never used it before.

as some of you might know i have bad hands at the moment so i tried my best to scan straight but i have uploaded these to my Mega account for anyone that wants to have a look and see if this will do the job required.

https://mega.nz/#!ec...d_WF9Ra57bgNjbo

I had a look at these and they are pretty decent. Flyers are flawed as they are usually printed at around 150dpi so you can't get better quality even scanning at a higher dpi.

Many thanks for doing those :). Certainly be interested in trying it on some glass artwork, I can't see why it wouldn't be good enough :).

* I guess the only problem is that you can't see what you've scanned till you get to a PC etc.

J

Edited by fuzion, 29 June 2016 - 05:09 PM.

#16 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

you are right, you cant see what you have scanned until you put the memory card into a PC.

but as it only takes a few seconds to scan you can do loads of multiple scans and just use what you need.

I have compared some of those to the scans I did with my scanner and being honest I personally think they are quite good.

#17 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:07 PM

You should try in an arcade on some reel glass ;)   

J

#18 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:46 AM

I just bought a wand scanner from amazon.
see what It's like when it comes.
I got red hot poker to scan and I have the glass for monte Carlo or bust, but I think there is already a half made layout for monte?.

#19 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:13 AM

Be good to see what the quality is like Richy. I imagine it will be more than good enough for layout purposes.

@Slasher

I have access to an Epson GT-20000 A3 scanner at work. Have done a few glass scans for personal projects. Could maybe do a couple, though getting the glass scans to me is the obvious pain. Wouldn't it be better if the 'resource fund' could be used to buy one for you, then you could scan them at your leisure, it's not rocket science. Though it is a lot easier on A3 as opposed to A4 and A3 scanners aren't that expensive nowadays.

J

#20 captainhaddock

captainhaddock

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

I could do with a new belly glass or a hi-res scan for my party time player if there's one in your collection - I've made a new glass as shown below from an image and had it printed onto a window sticker and applied it to a plain glass -(£6 from vistaprint) but I would prefer it to be authentic if possible :)

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users