• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

ive just bought a samsung U28e590 4k monitor, and currently running it through my asus mars ROG gfx card, a dvi-hdmi cable on the gfx card to hdmi on the monitor and it works fine, or so i thought.

the resolution of 3840x2160 (is it?) is too high for the monitor so ive had to scale it down to 3686x2072 as i couldbr see around the edges like the task bar.

is this normal, did i do anything wrong ?

#2 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:19 PM

sorted, their was a fit to screen option within the monitor menu.

the resolution graphics are awesome. i played a rather old jause cause 2 at full 4k resolution and it blew me away, then i tried far cry 4 and went on a hanglider!

i'll stop the drooling there. will be nice of course to play some of the 1600x resolution mfme machines in full screen for a change!

anybody wishing to take the plunge to 4k just needs a gfx card thats able to go to the 4k resolution, which is pretty much all of them over £200 ? best upgrade since i opted for the ocz revodrive3 x2 - even thats slow compared to some.

#3 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:23 AM

I've got a 24" which is great for gaming and emulation etc, but I also use it for work and it's almost too big to use as a work station. In fact I find it difficult to use at the recommended resolution.  

I agree on the SSD's, certainly one of the best upgrades you can get, you can get the latest CPU, Memory but the SSD drive you really can see the difference instantly.  I never get bored of the lightning speed booting of my Win10 machine.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#4 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

Farcry 4 one of of the most graphically pleasing games Ive played. Stunning on full spec. Im using a 970GTX only at 1080p as my monitor isnt capable of 4k, and it still looked amazing. That and crysis 3

#5 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Actually my monitor is a 2.5k 27". My native resolution is 2560x1440. Not sure my graphics card can run a game at 4k with all the effects maxed out. I usually play 1080p, still looks awesome.

J

#6 Sonnie

Sonnie

• Gold Supporters
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:20 PM

I keep looking at 4k monitors, wondering if I will buy one but deciding to wait.

I don't do any gaming really these days but I am sure the image quality is superb! Also Youtube 4k videos etc.

I am just a little worried that things will actually look to small on the screen, general windows use without having to scale which sort of defeats the purpose.

How do you find web browsing and general work taks on 4K???

Gaming, high res images and 4k videos I can totally get it.

Also HD fme would look amazing, just 1080p would do!

#7 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:05 AM

Gaming, Movies etc would be fine, but working/browsing in general I find difficult, icons are small, text is small.  In fact I often get a headache from concentrating too hard.   I have used a dual monitor setup which I ran at 1080p I did find it better for my workstation but space became an issue that's why I went for a bigger screen. 

J

#8 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:28 PM

I wouldn't want to be without my dual monitor setup these days. I bought them a while back now, when I was sitting looking at them all day and could write them off as a business expense.

The AOC one is better than the Dell, which unfortunately massively interferes with the radio. Must have very poor RFI shielding...

Attached File  IMG_8979.JPG   94.25KB   1 downloads

#9 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:06 PM

took your advice,  a 4k monitor is far too precise (well small actually) for standard everyday viewing. if you increase the fonts by 150%, the smaller monitor looks like a lo-res commodoe 64!

so, i switched them around. the left for windows, the right 4k for graphics, simple!

Attached Files

#10 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

I do a lot of design type work, it's not only that the the things are too small I was covering a lot more ground with the mouse it was getting tiresome.

J

#11 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

took your advice,  a 4k monitor is far too precise (well small actually) for standard everyday viewing. if you increase the fonts by 150%, the smaller monitor looks like a lo-res commodoe 64!

so, i switched them around. the left for windows, the right 4k for graphics, simple!

Damn those 4k monitors are a touch blurry.  I'll stick with my 15" CRT ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users