• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 bri365

bri365

Master Joker

• Regulars
  • 724 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

I installed Windows 10 this morning, took about half an hour and went without a hitch. Really fast.

Only downside to it i can see is the games ie solitare, minesweeper etc have to be downloaded and you have to have an xbox account. Apart from that I think the operating system is very neat and ti's still early days so will take a while to fully understand it. Checked out my installed games and they all run no problem.

Anyone else jump on the Windows 10 band wagon yet.?

Come here to post jokes, oh and to play the occasional frutie.

#2 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

yes, but will wait for the free online upgrade.

glad its worked out for you

#3 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:09 PM

I think you can play xbox one from a win10 desktop, streamed obviously but handy.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#4 I have finished

I have finished

I will never finish in FME here!

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:09 PM

Hi guys. I have Windows 7. I want to upgrade to 10 as my speech program I use that tells me what's on the screen works well now I have the latest version of it. When is the upgrade available and how do I do it? What's MFME like on 10 compared to 7?

#5 stardust

stardust

Daryl

• Regulars
  • 720 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:37 PM

I have already upgraded my HP touchscreen (was on Windows 8.1) to Windows 10 as I have also done on the iMac too using Bootcamp to upgrade Windows 7 Pro...

Both are running very well and all drivers and apps were installed correctly without affecting my own programs that I install from my personal stuff.

You'll find Cortana a godsend lad with your condition... it is streets above Siri ( and that is coming from someone who is an Apple fanatic ;) )

I've included screenshots of both my computers System info... I'm sure someone will tell you what they read lad - they're not great specs though by any stretch of the imagination! :p

Attached File  image.jpg   66.85KB   2 downloads
On the iMac (using Bootcamp)

Attached File  image.jpg   45.06KB   2 downloads
On my HP Touchscreen

#6 I have finished

I have finished

I will never finish in FME here!

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

Well, I use Siri and dictation on my iPhone, they work fine. I also use voice search on Google by saying "OK, Google" It's great! So can I have the link to the free upgrade to Windows 10? or do I have to take my laptop into PC world and they'll do it for me? This Toshiba came with 7 pre-installed. However, my CD drive has a registry code 19 error. Thanks Stardust, I saw the news story and I was wondering how to get it.

#7 jamesy4

jamesy4

• Regulars
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

I ain't installing Windows 10 just yet as they've just released some bug information that they are sorting out that is involved with certain drivers and programs as my mate downloaded it and Sound Drivers and a fair few programs wouldn't work/install due to incompatibility as when it comes to certain things they need to be tested to be run first but with the early release of Windows 10, then I am just waiting til Windows 10.1 comes out with all the bug fixes.

TqxKl7c.png

:) Fruit-Emu The Number 1 Download Site For Fruit Machines!! :)

#8 letmein

letmein

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:30 PM

Just installed Win 10, one word...WOW!!

lightening fast, all the thing I loved about Win 7 but with the few good parts of Win 8.

Nice to see the start menu back and thank god that awful Charm bar has gone.

Haven't found any bugs as yet, and all Win 8 Apps seem to work fine , in fact Apps load about 3 times quicker.

So far very pleased.

M

#9 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:13 AM

Well, I use Siri and dictation on my iPhone, they work fine. I also use voice search on Google by saying "OK, Google" It's great! So can I have the link to the free upgrade to Windows 10? or do I have to take my laptop into PC world and they'll do it for me? This Toshiba came with 7 pre-installed. However, my CD drive has a registry code 19 error. Thanks Stardust, I saw the news story and I was wondering how to get it.

There is no link as such, you just reserve the upgrade via windows 10.

However my network associate at Social Blade, has found a link where you can force this upgrade of sorts, via a download tool, which also allows you to make boot media for the OS..... however be warned that you need to do the upgrade first BEFORE you do a clean install (If that is what you wish)

What I would recommend you do FIRST before you do the upgrade, is make a clone of your boot drive / partition with something like Drive Snapshot, Acronis, Norton Ghost etc (Drive Snapshot is about the best one, and will work on ANY OS, as well as being found on the Hirens Boot CD).....

http://www.microsoft...nload/windows10 (Download)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-activate-the-latest-windows-10-build/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7 (Activation info)

Also some screenshots from my lappy that did have w7 Home 64 bit installed

Attached Files

• Attached File  001.jpg   140.75KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  002.jpg   57.49KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  003.jpg   58.21KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  004.jpg   48.77KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  005.jpg   33.53KB   1 downloads

Edited by stanmarsh14, 30 July 2015 - 05:19 AM.

#10 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

This is why I hate the mandatory updates pushed from win update for win10 (Same reason why I am not doing my desktops yet, as they are all nVidia)..... Soon as I work out this so called reg hack to stop this, will let the good folks know!

#11 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

I had this exact problem. But a simple restart seemed to fix everything.

#12 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

This is why I hate the mandatory updates pushed from win update for win10 (Same reason why I am not doing my desktops yet, as they are all nVidia)..... Soon as I work out this so called reg hack to stop this, will let the good folks know!

Odd that, i already had the Ge-Force app installed but when it came over to Windows 10 the driver was gone and was using the standard driver, re-downloaded the suite & told it to do a clean install of the latest driver (353,62) and it did just that. No crashes here although i can see it's badly optimized as benchmark scores are worse than what they were on 8.1.

#13 stardust

stardust

Daryl

• Regulars
  • 720 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

There is an official link from Microsoft to let you download a tool that lets you either:

* upgrade your present computer, or;

* create media (such as an ISO for DVD or ESD for USB)

When you create the media instead of upgrading, the tool asks what language, version of Windows 10 and whether you want an ISO image (for burning to DVD) or an ESD image for creating to a USB flash drive. This option is usually for when you're installing to a new computer or doing a fresh install.

You obviously have to have a valid licence key for the 'create new media' or a licence key from your computer that you are upgrading, provided that Windows 10 has been activated on that device first... it doesn't work otherwise.

Here's the link:

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

Edited by stardust, 30 July 2015 - 01:45 PM.

#14 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:37 PM

Had build 10240 x64 pro on for a week or so no probs.

Done a upgrade & a full install, skip key, still activated.

Edited by richy1976, 30 July 2015 - 10:39 PM.

#15 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

I've managed to slightly break a number of configurations in the lab and found a few issues with an in place upgrade.

As an easy precaution (assuming you have a big enough external USB drive) is to use redobackup to make an image of your current config (other imaging tools exist).

http://www.redobackup.org

That way if it does bork your machine you can image back without loss...

#16 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

well lots of users now have a copy. has the online version rolled out yet or starting to ?

#17 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

I got the inbuilt update to my dell venue 11 pro, tablet mode is not as good as win8.1 at the moment, lots of niggles like the virtual keyboard won't auto hide, like it overall though and its still early days.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#18 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

Just a heads up for those who have gone via the iso download route, then suddenly discover they need to make a USB boot stick..... rather than run the download tool again and waste bandwith etc, transpires you can actually use the win7 ISO to USB tool to do this, or a better alternative would be to use Rufus, which can do several ISO to USB conversions directly, like with Hirens Boot CD etc.

http://www.intowindo...-of-windows-10/

#19 policematrix

policematrix

• Regulars
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:47 PM

http://www.cnet.com/...idered-pirated/

Microsoft's operating system chief Terry Myerson told Reuters that "we are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10." 

With Windows 10, although nongenuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Nongenuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered nongenuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered nongenuine or mislicensed after the upgrade.

Just to clarify as some thought it was now genuine after the update, not that it makes any difference to the user I suppose.

I used this https://www.microsof...nload/windows10and it installed pretty fast and best of all everything was still installed =D all my downloads and everything was like before installing win10 it was more like an upgrade from win8.1 

Really impressed with win10 and its nothing like win8 more like win7 with a facelift and some good features like being able to disable that thing that if you drag a screen to the edges it auto maximises the screen O_O which I never want to happen, this is  now disabled =D 

recommended 

PS   DX 12 is a new feature

Edited by policematrix, 02 August 2015 - 04:51 PM.

hand-drawn-animated-gifs-dain-fagerholm-

#20 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:00 PM

http://www.cnet.com/...idered-pirated/

Microsoft's operating system chief Terry Myerson told Reuters that "we are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10." 

With Windows 10, although nongenuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Nongenuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered nongenuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered nongenuine or mislicensed after the upgrade.

Article is dated 20 March 2015 1:54 pm GMT

Since then they went back on that policy & offered it to genuine users only. See here for a more recent post - http://blogs.windows...and-windows-10/

Edited by Matty.N, 02 August 2015 - 06:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users