#1 Pook

Pook

More human than human.

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hey Guys

Just got a new PC which I'm in the process of setting up now, once all in and sorted I'm going to be blanking my old basic PC and my daughter is having it as her first PC. She's 10 so clearly worried about what she can easily find online, looking for a program to block as much undesirable stuff as possible. Does anyone use or can recommend some suitable software please? Preferably free or one that I can find some cough mixture for. ;)

Dave

dxspin.gif.1990cda2521f8b579dadc6cbba572

Click to visit my site.

#2 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

Not quiet what you want Dave...but if you're with Sky just this week they have created some 'block' to set certain levels of access without a password.

It can be found in 'my account'.

#3 stardust

stardust

Daryl

• Regulars
  • 720 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

Is it a Mac computer... if it is then it is built-in automatically!

If you're on Windows... which I assume you use especially for FME, then I'm sure if you check in the antivirus you use their settings will have such filter options available for page blocking, advertising etc - most antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG Free etc) have this option in their Advance Setttings Dave bud :)

#4 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

Just set the search to block any explicit content, or simply add only sites to the allowed list that you vet.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#5 launton

launton

• Regulars
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:29 AM

Lots of routers offer keyword/url blocking where you're redirected to a embedded webpage but it'll depend on your ISP.  Kaspersky 2015 has quite comprehensive parental controls 

http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/11144#block2 

Click 'how to configure parental controls' 

Edited by launton, 21 May 2015 - 06:30 AM.

#6 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

Ten!!!  Crikey I can remember when she was born.... seems like yesterday.... hope you are all doing well!

#7 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Ten!!!  Crikey I can remember when she was born.... seems like yesterday.... hope you are all doing well!

Blimey Geddy......I didn't pick-up on that!!!

#8 Pook

Pook

More human than human.

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

Thanks guys, I'm with virgin who do have router settings, but that would mean the whole house blocked not just her PC I guess. That wouldn't do especially when the missus has had too much wine.!

I messed about with the settings in web browsers and they seemed a bit weak, easily turn off, incognito modes etc.

I'll look into kaspersky, just using a free version of avg at the moment, used kaspersky years ago and was impressed so I'll have to search for a *ahem* version. Was hoping someone had experience with stand alone software and could reccomend, things like K9 etc.

@ Geddy & ady, yeah times flies, she's 11 in August, I remember a few of us became parents within a very short time of eachother, myself. Alex, Mort, Fishta, I'm sure there were more. Ah simpler times :)

Dave

ps. I've smashed all the small wine glasses in the house :D

dxspin.gif.1990cda2521f8b579dadc6cbba572

Click to visit my site.

#9 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

If you're on Windows 8 (or earlier versions but it's better in 8/8.1), you could just set her account up under family safety:

http://windows.micro...8/family-safety

That blocks naughty searches and certain sites as well as sending you a nice report of what the account has been up to!

In truth, no system is kidproof though and less technical steps such as having the machine in a shared space where you can see what's on screen at least when passing goes a long way to prevent/catch when things are on screen which should not be...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users