#1 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hi!

Posting this here as I believe it fits best with 'site news.'  Having been around FME since it's beginning all those years ago and caught up in a lot of arguments, multi-quotes, making stuff for release, dats, DVD service, gathering resources and staff/mod on most of the FME related forums at one point of another I'm getting ever so more and more concerned about this staple of FME land.  What is happening to this site?  Why is it being allowed to go down the tubes?  Why are the 'admin' not doing something about it?

I made a post over at the newly opened DADsFME as to why I think this is the case.  Even though FME land might be quiet DADsFME is ticking along nicely, as nice as it ever did during 'non-emulator' release periods.  I do not think DADsFME being open is a cause of this place's decline however!!!

I do think the promised Christmas then New Year news on the EPOCH  emulator has not helped but to me that is fine, yeah I'm a bit disappointed kc has not took the 2 mins out to post 'why' and this has always been an issue with FME coders apart from Guitar.  We are all hugely looking forward to the new emu and have been let down so so much in the past years that all we need is a couple of posts now and again to keep us 'interested.'  Some of us used to love the WIP from the coders..... to see the technical aspects of their journeys.

I also think when the site closed and changes were promised they should have been done sooner rather than later or never as the case it is atm.  The members did their part even invading other forums to make peace, this should never have been the case and now for all their soul searching and making up they are left with their charlies dangling in the wind because the promised action by the admin has not been undertaken.  We still do not know WHY the site was closed and we still do not have our promised moderator/staff vote/changes. This is not the promised transparent approach the admin stated!  Some of us including me have donated real cash to the running of this site and really the least we deserve is the truth and that promised 'transparency.' 

Yes we are all busy in real life.... yes we all have other issues.  However THIS place is important to our scene and deserves 'time' spent on it to help it run smoothly.  It's a commitment for sure.  I have noticed, and sorry aaa that you have been posting a fair amount since the new year on here and a little in the FB page and all of that time is much more that what it would have took to make the promised changes and promote the new 'transparency' of the admin team.  The members have done their part.

Sorry I'm just disappointed on how this once stalwart of FME land has apparently been left to go mouldy in the corner like alth's orange... it's a total shame and change needs to happen and happen soon if this place is to survive.  I hope soon Fruit-Emu gets the promised changes and this place starts to flourish again before its too late.... I really hope it is not too late already...remember the 'members' have done their part.. :(

#2 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

Some very true and valid points there geddy.
Yes something needs to be done with this site it's a must have for fruit emulation, a site i came on first and I was amazed by the amount of dedication the members had. Also it had a friendliness about it something unique amongst the site's. Yes many of the recent arguments or tiffs have involved myself but hopefully this is all in the past. Now we should be looking to the future of this site, if it has one which I sincerely hope it does.
Question, what can be done with it.
We need to be incouraging New members to become involved, I mentioned making a new sub-section for layout resources like dadsfme has. Ok the layout standard may not be upto a experts level, but we all learnt somewhere.
Next and I know the mods have blatantly refused this but I would bring back the shoutbox as if used correctly it would bring life back to the front page. It would need to be monitored throughly and ANY trolling or swearing repeatedly to other members should result in an instant ban from sb and a warning given.
Next current layout creators, why is Tommy.c not given his layout privleges back, I mean he's an excellent creator yet you're letting him go to release his work on other sites. Of course it's upto him, but if it was upto me I'd be trying to keep the workforce here for the customers so to speak.
Topics on front page, do we really need the mecca feeds and others cluttering up the front page. Again it's only advertising other site's whilst harming this one.

Back to emulators etc
Don't blame Kc or guitar for the lack of emulator news it Will be ready when it's done, nobody wants a 1/2 working emulator. And people can't blame the lack of resources for mfme, just look at my last year's releases there is stuff you just need to look for it.
We All need to work together no matter what your status is to make this site a place people want to visit again and again.
Regards vectra666.
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#3 superbank

superbank

Antagonist

• Gold Supporters
  • 567 posts

Donator

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

Bring Skizzo back!!

Ah shit - wrong forum! :)

The moderators need to be sorted - however it gets decided - and a lot of people want an explanation as to what went on when the site closed last year.

I'm sure we'll get there in the end. :)

#4 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

Shoutbox - good God NO!  That just added to the 'chavvy' side of the site.  I personally felt it had ZERO purpose.  It can't be policed or logged for evidence all the time so for me it's just a vehicle for bullying etc..

Tommy C - that is his 'battle' and I'm not sure how that makes any difference to how this site is performing.

Feeds - Not a fan because if I want to know what is going on at the Mecca I will visit there... again not sure how that is making this place worse or it's removal will make it better.

Emulator News - Erm if I can't blame kc who can I blame?  Agreed no one wants a half working emu, that is not my point.  My point was the age old 'lack of communication' between the coder and his prospective 'customers.'

For me like I mentioned it's ALL about communication between members, coders and admin.  It hardly takes a minute to post a brief post letting us know the score on so many of the fronts I said, it also adds to the promised 'transparency.'

#5 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

+1 for removing the feeds

#6 gemini17

gemini17

GOLD Supporter

• Regulars
  • 1751 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

Hi!

Posting this here as I believe it fits best with 'site news.'  Having been around FME since it's beginning all those years ago and caught up in a lot of arguments, multi-quotes, making stuff for release, dats, DVD service, gathering resources and staff/mod on most of the FME related forums at one point of another I'm getting ever so more and more concerned about this staple of FME land.  What is happening to this site?  Why is it being allowed to go down the tubes?  Why are the 'admin' not doing something about it?

I made a post over at the newly opened DADsFME as to why I think this is the case.  Even though FME land might be quiet DADsFME is ticking along nicely, as nice as it ever did during 'non-emulator' release periods.  I do not think DADsFME being open is a cause of this place's decline however!!!

I do think the promised Christmas then New Year news on the EPOCH  emulator has not helped but to me that is fine, yeah I'm a bit disappointed kc has not took the 2 mins out to post 'why' and this has always been an issue with FME coders apart from Guitar.  We are all hugely looking forward to the new emu and have been let down so so much in the past years that all we need is a couple of posts now and again to keep us 'interested.'  Some of us used to love the WIP from the coders..... to see the technical aspects of their journeys.

I also think when the site closed and changes were promised they should have been done sooner rather than later or never as the case it is atm.  The members did their part even invading other forums to make peace, this should never have been the case and now for all their soul searching and making up they are left with their charlies dangling in the wind because the promised action by the admin has not been undertaken.  We still do not know WHY the site was closed and we still do not have our promised moderator/staff vote/changes. This is not the promised transparent approach the admin stated!  Some of us including me have donated real cash to the running of this site and really the least we deserve is the truth and that promised 'transparency.' 

Yes we are all busy in real life.... yes we all have other issues.  However THIS place is important to our scene and deserves 'time' spent on it to help it run smoothly.  It's a commitment for sure.  I have noticed, and sorry aaa that you have been posting a fair amount since the new year on here and a little in the FB page and all of that time is much more that what it would have took to make the promised changes and promote the new 'transparency' of the admin team.  The members have done their part.

Sorry I'm just disappointed on how this once stalwart of FME land has apparently been left to go mouldy in the corner like alth's orange... it's a total shame and change needs to happen and happen soon if this place is to survive.  I hope soon Fruit-Emu gets the promised changes and this place starts to flourish again before its too late.... I really hope it is not too late already...remember the 'members' have done their part.. :(

I have just recently re-joined Dads.

I echo Geddy's point over dads fmfe and I feel a part of something on there,as I used to on here.

I don't come onto Fruit Emu that often now(mainly because of the support I give to my uncle),but mainly because of what I saw developing pre xmas.

It was almost like watching a war zone! And it real saddens me to think that some of you at one time would have been good friends,and now you are almost enemies!

The site almost mirrored a series of Big Brother!!

I didn't feel comfortable logging in at times-and I am sure I wasn't alone.

I real hope the site can regain it's spark.It has brought so much pleasure and entertainment to members life's and hopefully will continue to do so.

Jay

#7 TommyC

TommyC

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2832 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:29 PM

Regarding emulator news and who to blame. Well I blame geddy, its all yout fault :D :D

Hold the bells mate.

#8 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

Shoutbox - good God NO!  That just added to the 'chavvy' side of the site.  I personally felt it had ZERO purpose.  It can't be policed or logged for evidence all the time so for me it's just a vehicle for bullying etc..

Tommy C - that is his 'battle' and I'm not sure how that makes any difference to how this site is performing.

Feeds - Not a fan because if I want to know what is going on at the Mecca I will visit there... again not sure how that is making this place worse or it's removal will make it better.

Emulator News - Erm if I can't blame kc who can I blame?  Agreed no one wants a half working emu, that is not my point.  My point was the age old 'lack of communication' between the coder and his prospective 'customers.'

For me like I mentioned it's ALL about communication between members, coders and admin.  It hardly takes a minute to post a brief post letting us know the score on so many of the fronts I said, it also adds to the promised 'transparency.'

Going on for SEVEN! weeks ago, I was told

aaamusements

Administrator

• photo-thumb-4005.jpg?_r=1392937092
  • Administrators
  • administrator.png
  • 1882 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:30 PM

chasnbons, on 03 Dec 2014 - 2:27 PM, said:snapback.png

I'll keep this brief, sorry for caring about what's going on, instead of writing going on for 100 words, again without an answer, you could have just answered in 9 and saved yourself some time.  ;)

Can't quote on tiny screen. 
Patience, or leave. 

Maybe we haven't been patient enough yet?

Maybe, when we HAVE been patient enough and the answers are forthcoming, it will be too late?

Just a thought!

My other thoughts I shall keep to myself, as voicing them on here, gets you absolutely nowhere.

#9 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

I cannot emphasise enough just how much I hate being prodded into doing things. Reminding me and hassling has the opposite effect to what you intend so there's no point in doing it.

People feel that they can tell me what to do when they don't have don't have access to all the facts. This needs to end. I'm always happy to listen to suggestions, but the fact is that I do have the final say over what happens here. Donations don't cover the running costs these days, if they did I might feel more heavily indebted to the members - as it is I recently spent several hours manually deleting long expired memberships that the system had failed to automatically remove. It showed me just how little support there actually is for the site these days, and how long the decline has been going on for - long before my tenure here.

Change will and must happen but I simply will not be rushed into it.

#10 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

I cannot emphasise enough just how much I hate being prodded into doing things. 

I cannot emphasise enough how much I hate being promised things and those things especially when they are for a greater good are not forthcoming.  Seriously how long do you need?  People have been supporting this place, I personally have put forward cash which I can ill afford to do but I do so because of the greater good.  Like I said the members here are good members on the whole and they have done their bit.  Sorry but I'm disgusted how this once vibrant site has gone down the tubes and really you have to accept responsibility as the 'boss' due to your lack of action for this.

Suggestions have been put forward, actions have been promised the members have done their 'making up' but the admin here have done nothing..... and it shows people are voting with their feet and soon there will be nothing left here to support.  More FME promises that are not forthcoming.  In the time it took you to post your post you could have put the moderators vote up you know for greater transparency... sorry aaamusements but your lack of action and commitment to such an important part of our scene is scandalous... :( :(  I guess you will now lock the thread and ban me etc.... :( :(

#11 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

I think this is a great site, I cannot log on every day but I do try.

I know its not easy owning and running a site. I think all geddy was trying to say was not that this or that HAs to be done, but more about keeping the users informed or activity - or lack of ?

#12 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

I cannot emphasise enough how much I hate being promised things and those things especially when they are for a greater good are not forthcoming.  Seriously how long do you need?  People have been supporting this place, I personally have put forward cash which I can ill afford to do but I do so because of the greater good.  Like I said the members here are good members on the whole and they have done their bit.  Sorry but I'm disgusted how this once vibrant site has gone down the tubes and really you have to accept responsibility as the 'boss' due to your lack of action for this.

Suggestions have been put forward, actions have been promised the members have done their 'making up' but the admin here have done nothing..... and it shows people are voting with their feet and soon there will be nothing left here to support.  More FME promises that are not forthcoming.  In the time it took you to post your post you could have put the moderators vote up you know for greater transparency... sorry aaamusements but your lack of action and commitment to such an important part of our scene is scandalous... :( :(  I guess you will now lock the thread and ban me etc.... :( :(

Amusing as personally I very rarely tend to do the thread locking thing. In most cases I prefer to see the whole thing played out, regardless of the outcome.

I recently had to put forward the case for a thread to be unlocked. I could have just done it myself but I didn't want to create more ill feeling.

I'm not going to comment on the rest of that. As someone has pointed out in another thread it's very unusual for users of a forum to be consulted on how it should be run, so this has to be considered as a privilege and not something that has been conferred by right or contractual agreement and which will run rigidly to any timescale.

How I spend my evening tonight is not the business of anyone else, I have chosen to spend it idly browsing after a day of work rather than doing what I consider to be even more work here on the forum.

Edited by aaamusements, 18 January 2015 - 07:40 PM.
added quote

#13 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

As someone has pointed out in another thread it's very unusual for users of a forum to be consulted on how it should be run, so this has to be considered as a privilege and not something that has been conferred by right or contractual agreement and which will run rigidly to any timescale.

That is fair enough and NOT anything to do with my point(s)  I'm basically asking for you to make good on your promises within the time scales you imposed.  You suggested the more open and transparent approach by admin and staff.  You said we would have changes to the moderation team via a democratic vote.  You said this would happen in the New Year (yes I know how long a year is...)  All I'm asking is that these changes are done before this ailing site has nothing left in it and dies.... 

I want this site to succeed.  I do not want this corner stone of our scene to haemorrhage and die like it has been doing for the last two month or so.... I want the promised action(s) to be implemented so this site can hopefully become 'well' again...

Nice to see you asking about the vote in another thread.... :)  Thanks.

#14 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:51 PM

Lack of content is an issue, which is a problem at present.

However one thing I would like to see is more of an effort to collect resources.

Also a move to bit-torrent for content sharing. The costs of running the website could be considerably reduced and that money put forward to collect resources.

We are entering a new era for the fruit emulation scene where Amber, MAME, & KC's emulator are progressing to bring us new techs and cover all the old techs too.

But we need artwork (glasses and reel bands), & ROMs, mostly sound ROMs, and for old and new machines.

With each day that goes by we lose more and more that can NEVER be recovered, for the scene to survive into the future resources are vital.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#15 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

Unfortunately Nick the last few group attempts on here to garner resources have ended in something of an argument each time...

#16 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

I've tried to keep my collection up to date rom and layout wise and I'm as always am willing to host, torrent or whatever I have.  I'm still doing DVDs to try and ease the burden.

#17 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

Started making up an initial post and lost most of it on this useless Android tablet. This is what happens when I do things in haste. Now massively annoyed and have had quite enough for tonight.

#18 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

We are entering a new era for the fruit emulation scene where Amber, MAME, & KC's emulator are progressing to bring us new techs and cover all the old techs too.

what is the state of play with all of the above?

there was once a time when i emailed El Condor a few times and had seemingly positive replied, alas the last time he replied "when you have multiple people working on and emulator, to which none of them find FME a priority...."  you get the picture.

I checked my emails and ive been speaking to killcrazy for what appears to be years. nice informative posts via these forums, but nothing solid.

Amber however, we did indeed get a release and updates!

#19 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

what is the state of play with all of the above?

Amber has 2 problems at the moment.

1) I can't compile a working dll after reinstalling my PC. As soon as the emulator calls the dll, it crashes the emulator. So I need to look into that, by which I mean I need to call Tony at some point and hope he can sort me out cos I'm all out of ideas.

2) I'm trying desperately to sort out some cash flow at present, until that is sorted I can't afford to spend much time doing the emulator (priorities and all that).

Aside from that, Amber isn't in a bad position, it just needs a solid month spent on it to get the other CPU's emulated. Once they are done and working I would expect the techs to come through pretty fast. MPU4 is complete and stable, it needs a few things sorted to save memory. At the moment the debugging is mostly handled by copying the memory space to VB and using the existing debug tools, which is slow, and very wasetful of memory. This is being moved to being handled entirely by the dll, it was only whilst compiling the dll to test if it works, that I discovered the compiled dll crashes the emu every time now.

Once I get MPU4 completed with all the debugging in the dll I will then have a complete tech, and all the other techs will follow the same format.

M1, Scorp1, Scorp2, MPU3, Sys83, Sys85, Proconn, System5, IMPACT, spACE, Castle1, Castle2, MPU4 Plasma, MPU4 Video & M1 Video will then follow pretty quickly.

After that I'm not sure whether I will redo some other older techs like sys80, or move on to Scorp4/5, MPU5 etc.

MAME, I don't know much, but I have been speaking to El C about allowing Amber to be used as a front end much like Visual Pinball can be used with PinMAME to create Visual PinMAME. It's doable but needs work from both sides, neither of which have much time at present. But DOND is playable so the information is available when the time eventually comes.

KC's Emu. Again I don't know much, but I have seen nothing from KC that makes me doubt the legitimacy of his emulator. From what he typed in the emu thread I believe he's hit a snag with the graphics rendering which will take quite a lot of recoding to get round. I do know he's a better programmer than me though so I have no doubt he will get it sorted. I know some find it frustrating that he hasn't posted much, but I can say from experience that sometimes it's better to get on with coding and get it working than to spend time writing updates every 5 minutes, because very few people read them, and little to no conversation ever comes from it.

The server system for Amber is planned to be rewritten so that it's a general database which can be accessed by any emulator with very little extra code required.

So MAME, KC's emu, and Amber would all be able to allow online state sharing for extra realism, should they wish.

I wouldn't expect to see much from Amber until August at the earliest, which probably means Christmas knowing my luck. But I can assure you that one way or another, whether it be Amber, MAME, or KC, you'll be getting lots of new techs in the next couple of years. Make sure the resources are there.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#20 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:28 AM

DOND playable?

is that available right now, wouldn't mind a quick spin 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users