maygay epoch help ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 chris1

chris1

• Regulars
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:00 PM

Hello all ive got a impulse spin on it machine mc will not boot I think its the lamp driver board because all lights on psu and mpu but no lights on any boards on the bus . Dont suppose any one has got 1 as reluctant to get one of eBay happy to pay the going rate and p&p thanks chris

#2 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

It's usually the MPU that's faulty on these although the old type of lamp board did have a number of issues too. You need to make sure you replace it with the "DJP" Mark 2 version.

#3 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:03 PM

I think it's also very likely that the main board is dead . Especially if the battery has been on the board for a few years.

#4 chris1

chris1

• Regulars
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:11 PM

Thanks very much for your fast replys ive got the battery on fly leads as had this mc for ten years lol all lights are on main epoch and security light flashes but it will not boot there are no lights on any of the other boards
Thanks aaamusements will do

#5 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

Thanks very much for your fast replys ive got the battery on fly leads as had this mc for ten years lol all lights are on main epoch and security light flashes but it will not boot there are no lights on any of the other boards Thanks aaamusements will do

Suspect the PSU as well, they have the same issue with the earlier model of circuit board.

#6 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:10 PM

Epoch woes, and sodding hell, don't I know em well, and especially with this (X-RATED WORD) Blue Simpsons I have here.... thank god I have a working Impulse Gridrunner next to it to help me along.

As others have pointed out, primary place to check is it's mainboard and especially for battery leaks..... however as you have said about the battery fly-wired off the board, I would then start looking at the PSU, although having the lamps jammed on in the way you describe, I would be concerned that you may have a lamp board issue brewing.

Tell me, even with the lamps jammed on, are you still able to play a game, or is it all locked up?... if you can play a game, likely there is a lamp board fault, but if not, then I would look at it's PSU next.

Think in this case, you could use with use of another working epoch machine to test your parts in, or use of one local to you..... where abouts are you anyway?

I do have two contacts for Epoch parts (Unfortunately my fave supplier in Derby has no Epoch stuff in at present).... a member of MPU Mecca called steveh (Has a website called Swallow Amusements), or this chap I know over in Birmingham.

#7 chris1

chris1

• Regulars
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:05 AM

thanks for your reply  stanmarsh14 i think i will take your advice and try and find a working mc . live in the norwich area 

#8 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

Any signs of overheating on the lamp board, particularly the connector?

#9 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

Any signs of overheating on the lamp board, particularly the connector?

I'll add to this..... take a look at the components on the lamp board, and tell me that when you especially look at the chips on the board, if you have any black nipple like mounds on them.... if this is the case (I've had this happen on my Simpsons here), then those chips could have blown, and the board would require replacing.

May help you downloading the following and having a look at this tech guide if you don't already have a hard copy.

Attached Files

#10 chris1

chris1

• Regulars
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

thank you very much for the maygay tech manual .ive had a look at lamp driver board again and there are signs of burning so thats what i will try replacing next thanks again for all your help cheers chris 

#11 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:53 PM

This is sort of what im heading for with me Geronimo, Out of the 4 boards ive got, 2 of them work but have the same issue with reels going out of line after about 2 or 3 mins, im thnking its down to a PSU overloading but I dont know what to measure :/

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

Quit Gambling as of 3rd of March 2012

#12 chris1

chris1

• Regulars
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

If I can get my mc working I might have spare power supply what area of UK are you

#13 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:54 AM

This is sort of what im heading for with me Geronimo, Out of the 4 boards ive got, 2 of them work but have the same issue with reels going out of line after about 2 or 3 mins, im thnking its down to a PSU overloading but I dont know what to measure :/

Most of the time, the PCB's inside Epoch's can cause issues, and is something Andrew86 from Mr P's has worked on before, even going down the component replacement route, rather than replacing the entire PCB, but you need a steady hand for this.

#14 chris1

chris1

• Regulars
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

Good news machine now 100% working it was main epoch board. Thanks for all your help

#15 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

Glad you got it working. Now you need to make sure you fly-wire the battery away from the board if it hasn't been done already. This stop the battery leaking over it and destroying your new one.

#16 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:56 PM

I didn't realise just how small the epoch boards are.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#17 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:23 PM

I didn't realise just how small the epoch boards are.

J

It was a clever idea, having seperate boards for everything, makes for easy/cheap replacements, shame it isn't actually like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users