Photo
- - - - -

"Layout Creator" badges

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

Poll: Layout Creator badges (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Layout Creator badges be removed (while leaving other privileges in place)?

1. Yes (11 votes [55.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

2. No (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. I don't care either way. I'm only here for the drama. (4 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote

#1 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

There have been a number of suggestions that the Layout Creator badge should be abandoned as it appears to be devisive.
It's reasonable to think that everyone already knows who the layout creators are as they are the people who keep releasing the layouts...

Thoughts?

#2 TommyC

TommyC

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2832 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:04 PM

Only thing wrong with that is, if no staff are about they habe to wait for the layout to be approved.

Hold the bells mate.

#3 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

If they go can we keep our colours, although on the subject of Layout creators maybe if you're a active creator you should keep your badge so what I'm trying to say in my own way is. If you've not released nowt in say 2-3 years then you lose your badge but if you create regularly like myself, Andy-1,pook tommy c, dad etc then it should stay or maybe change it to site contributor
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#4 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:34 AM

I think we should introduce an Emulator Creator badge, maybe a large gold statue something like that :D

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#5 robinhood75

robinhood75

medieval mentalist

• Gold Supporters
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:16 AM

Its OK saying that Vectra but it may be hard to go and find all the layout creators who have not posted a layout in two years. It's a good idea but may be difficult to implement 

What's yours is yours and what's hers is yours

#6 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:06 AM

Well how about 2 groups? An active layout creator group & a historic one? Active one would get the perks of no approvals needed, however they need to have released in the last 12 months & the historic could be a way of saying thanks to those who've created in the past & get no perks just the different name colour.

On the subject of badges do all Admin/mod posts need that garish overlay in the top right corner? I could see why it would be needed on some sites but it just doesn't feel right here.

#7 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:48 AM

Personally I'd leave as is made no difference in the last 10years why change now, but as matty states may text saying active or inactive layout creator and as been discussed before guitar should be under emulator creator. Also as pointed out by matty do the staff need that banner thing across. Again if we lose our creator badge will we still be able to upload our work without approval. As said before also being a member is great regardless of status but needs to be implemented to all sections of the membership to be equal.

#8 spa

spa

Layout Designer

• Moderators
  • 2494 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

For me I am not overly bothered but with only a handful of active layout creators about now, is there a need to change? 

http://www.youtube.com/FruitVideos - My youtube channel

https://drive.google...R3ZTMTBIQTdwWUU- My Drive

#9 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:08 AM

On the subject of badges do all Admin/mod posts need that garish overlay in the top right corner? I could see why it would be needed on some sites but it just doesn't feel right here.

Have to admit I am not a fan of that either as it's quite a distraction..... think it was something that crept in during the last forum software update, and can probs be removed.

#10 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

Badges we don't need no stinking badges...

Get rid of all the badges IMO, is it that important to advertise that you make layouts, do you need that to continue?

If so I'll need a DAT and DVD badge thanks...

(Remember the crowns\cocks at FF!!!)

#11 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:58 AM

No idea where those bloody staff banners came from, if I can remove them then I will.

Here's an idea, how about everyone has their own individual badge which they choose from their own personal preference. We could call them...avatars.

#12 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

Just as a guide to folks.... the various badges used on the site, are mostly used as a control method for automated uploads, and access to certain areas of the site for most of the time.

Layout Designer badges are mostly used for their part, as an automatic pass for the uploads section for trusted designers, so they can get their layout out quicker to the general forum, and also saves the site staff the job of having to manually approve such posts / uploads.

Reason why that certanaly the layout badges are being brought in to question, is that some of the quality of the layouts are being brought in to question, and that descriptions are incomplete, such as their general wording, missing previews etc... we have also noticed that these badges in general are being used as a "bragging point", at the annoyance of some users.

We have in staff, been looking at setting up some kind of standard for what we should be expected for each and every release, like full description to included type of layout (Being it DX, Classic, etc), if it's a re-release / updated layout (To include the original authors forum name when parts of their work have been used, and what has basically been borrowed / copied), stake / prize info, and the Manu's name, like BFM etc..... this is so each and every layout can be identified, who did the work etc.

This is the main reason why certainly the creator badge is being called in to question..... it could be that if we fully follow something like I have mentioned above, then there will be no need to remove this badge option.

What do you think folks?

#13 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

Just to add from my own POV..... I DON'T like seeing badges used generally, as all too often I see folks on basically every forum I have been on or managed, to use them as a bragging point..... however as I previously mentioned, certain sites like here, they are also used as a control point in so many ways for various parts of the forum, so at least they do serve some general purpose, so it's with that, I am a bit split on the idea, especially when you look in to the practical uses of them on this site.

#14 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

Why not just an all encompassing badge like 'fme contributor', there are other important roles that people do in the background that could be deemed more important than layouts initially. Emu coders, resource gatherers, rom dumper etc. in fact most fme enthusiasts have done something to benefit the scene at some point.

I really don't justify having the badge any longer as I'm not really a contributing layout creator.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#15 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

I've set staff banners to "OFF" but they seem to persist...

#16 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

Why not just an all encompassing badge like 'fme contributor', there are other important roles that people do in the background that could be deemed more important than layouts initially. Emu coders, resource gatherers, rom dumper etc. in fact most fme enthusiasts have done something to benefit the scene at some point.

I really don't justify having the badge any longer as I'm not really a contributing layout creator.

J

Like your idea a lot here, and if I am not mistaken, Duplu had this set years back..... means those seamed to be a contributor to the site by way of resources, layouts, or cash donations even, get the access to the areas they need to, and still gives the site, some sort of control to ensure those entitled to be in certain areas, to be so.

Your second comment..... I can see why you may feel you no longer justify having such a badge, but we also have to think that those who have made an immense contribution in times past, still need to be looked after for legacy reasons.

#17 TommyC

TommyC

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2832 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:36 PM

Some good points in this thread, I agree that if your using someone else's work then this should be mentioned in the release thread. What I'm miffed about is why would anybody not say I used this or that and thanks to joe blogs etc. The whole point of the layout designer badges was to show you have workwd your way up on the forum and was the forums way of saying thanks for the input. Either way my thinking is people make layouts for others to enjoy, not to attention seek.

Hold the bells mate.

#18 TommyC

TommyC

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2832 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:54 PM

Another thing to mention as well without a badge layout designers would be capped at only a few downloads per day.

Hold the bells mate.

#19 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

As in quality of layouts, you can't expect a newbie layout creator 'if we have ant's to produce work of equal quality of the long standing creators we have. Also it says we've gotta thank everyone, it's virtual impossible to thank everyone right down to the blank dat.file lol

#20 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

As in quality of layouts, you can't expect a newbie layout creator 'if we have ant's to produce work of equal quality of the long standing creators we have. Also it says we've gotta thank everyone, it's virtual impossible to thank everyone right down to the blank dat.file lol

Fortunately we don't have ants. That only happens if someone leaves jam in the server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users