Photo
- - - - -

Decide the future of FME. Project Amber.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

Hi Guys,

I am at a bit of a crossroads with Project Amber.

What would you like next?

1) CPU Cores converted to a C++ dll. If you have no idea what that means, basically speed would no longer be an issue and would allow for newer techs too. It would also lay the groundwork to port over to KillCrazy's emu.

2) More online functions. Make money by having your own arcade.

3) More Older Techs, spACE, Castle, etc.

You can only pick 1. What would you like to see most?

Either option is a massive amount of code to write and sort out. I only have the time to concentrate on 1 thing at a time so I will leave it up to the FME community to decide.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#2 banditboy2006

banditboy2006

Part of the furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

number 2 would be good it will add more flavour

would mpu 4 video work on amber at all

Edited by banditboy2006, 29 January 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#3 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

No1 as the online part would be better with newer £25jps as well as older ones and it could mean the more modern £70ers make an eventually appearance in the virtual arcade also making Amber and Epoch run as one Will be great for fme, and everyone wants faster speeds these days, although it would be good to set up our own arcades just thinking about it eventually if everyone did this Amber would be overran with arcades of all the same stuff in them some of which would eventually go into decline as in all machines faulty if said members leave. it would be good to have say 10-20 and have eventually every decent layout made in mfme converted to Amber-online its a shame you can't load Amber up and import all your mfme layouts into it maybe one day
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#4 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Option 1 without a doubt.

#5 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

Amber is still very new.  I'd love to see other techs incorporated.  But, at the end of the day, you are putting the hours in mate, so really you should be doing as you please.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#6 James

James

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Donator

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Amber is still very new.  I'd love to see other techs incorporated.  But, at the end of the day, you are putting the hours in mate, so really you should be doing as you please.

J

A very valid point :)

(However I'd go for #1 by a mile)

#7 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

J

I appreciate the comment, but being coded in VB is a problem for older machines.

The problem is that key layout designers (Tommy C for example), can't run the emulation. Without the layout designers, what's the point?

I love the online stuff, it really adds another dimension, and is more social, but if its only usable by a percentage of the members, it cuts down the user base.

Also we are limited in that MPU4/Scorp2 with DMD is about as fast as VB can handle. My favorite tech is JPM IMPACT, to the point where I have 8 real machines in the house. I can't even run my favorite tech in VB with all the bells and whistles Amber has.

I am left with 2 options, either carry on, and try and write cores in C++ dll's and call them from VB, or forget Amber, and move to co-write with KillCrazy (if he is ok with that).

The second option is by far the best option in terms of a future proof emulation. But it means turning my back on 7+ years of work. Logically its a simple decision, but either decision is a whole lot of work to do.

#8 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

option 1, though i would never want you to step on killcrazy's toes.

#9 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 257 posts

Donator

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I'd certainly love to collaborate at some point :)

The C++ dll for the emulation core of Epoch was always designed to house other techs as well.  To be honest it'd be a doddle to copy the existing Epoch structure and use it as a template for other techs.

We could do with having a chat some time to discuss what you'd like to do :)  Whether you'd like to use the C++ emulation core project as a template for including in Amber, or help me add other techs to it and move to the WPF engine at some point.  It'd certainly be great to have everything in one place.

Realistically i'm still 3 months-ish away from finishing the Epoch emulator (unfortunately it could be a bit more if I keep being snowed under at work!).  Will post another update in a day or two.

#10 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Excellent news guys sounds like were gonna be made in the next couple of.months for emulators and layouts.

#11 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

I would have to say option 1

#12 Guest_DAD_*

Guest_DAD_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Option One.  The rest will follow naturally.

#13 sturthrt

sturthrt

• Regulars
  • 82 posts

Donator

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

option 1

#14 No1Stoney

No1Stoney

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Definitely option one. Ultimately it would be great to have everything running under one emu. And with the online functionality that would make for some seriously amazing emulator. Would be great to merge yours and killkrazy's creations into one

#15 westy20040

westy20040

Layout Designer

• Regulars
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

Option 1 sounds the best way forward.

#16 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

I agree, option 1.

#17 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

I'd certainly love to collaborate at some point :)

The C++ dll for the emulation core of Epoch was always designed to house other techs as well.  To be honest it'd be a doddle to copy the existing Epoch structure and use it as a template for other techs.

We could do with having a chat some time to discuss what you'd like to do :)  Whether you'd like to use the C++ emulation core project as a template for including in Amber, or help me add other techs to it and move to the WPF engine at some point.  It'd certainly be great to have everything in one place.

Realistically i'm still 3 months-ish away from finishing the Epoch emulator (unfortunately it could be a bit more if I keep being snowed under at work!).  Will post another update in a day or two.

The best solution by far is for me to include the techs in your emu. I could help getting the editor/tools up and running too if required.

I've been dabbling in C++ for a while, so I could use a bit of a tour round your emu in terms of how you are setting up the cores, and how you intend to display the various components.

I would probably start with MPU4 for a few reasons. 1 its one of the slower cores in Amber, 2 its one of the oldest cores in Amber and so a rewrite would produce a slicker product. 3 its the tech I know the best which takes out as many unknowns as possible. Also in C I could go on to add support for the Plasma Display and Video Techs.

I will gladly write new cores for the Motorola 6800/6802/6808/6809/6303 CPU's, I'm very fluent in their operation now.

#18 niallquinn

niallquinn

• Contributor
  • 723 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

Option 1.

NQ.

#19 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Option 1 would be my vote; not to see the newer techs.  Indeed the next techs I would like to see are SRU, Maygay MMM and MPU2.

bj

#20 topshaun

topshaun

• New Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

i agree option 1, having the SRUS would be a dream come true

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users